How to add a channel to my lineup?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stargoat, Jul 11, 2008.

1. stargoat

stargoat New Member

Oct 7, 2003

Advertisements

I have a quick question for you guys, if you don't mind. I have a Series 2 standalone, and I have cable, but no cable box. If I am watching my TV, I can tune to channels 16 thru 18 and see them just fine. But they are not listed in my cable lineup on the TiVo, even though everything else is correct (all the channels have the correct names, except 16 thru 18 which are not in the lineup at all).

I've seen it suggested in other threads that the person should record something on that channel for a few minutes, then it will appear in their list of "Channels I Receive" with a name "Cab 16". But I cannot even make my TiVo tune to that channel. If I press 16 on the remote, it goes to channel 2, just like if I entered 90 or any other channel that is not in the cable lineup.

Is there any way to watch these channels in my TiVo, or do I have to watch the TV directly anytime I want to watch those channels?

Thanks!

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
  3. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA
    I have the same issue. I have a security camera feed that "broadcasts" on an unused cable channel over my in-house cable wiring. So the channel I want to watch is not one that TiVo will add via the online request form - because it only exists on my home network.

Stargoat is correct that you used to be able to force add a channel by recording on it for a few minutes and then it would appear in the list of available channels. This no longer works.

Any other "tricks" to adding a channel that's not really there?

(Series 2 standalone)

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If it is an actual outside cable channel that is system wide, you can file a lineup issue report. For your own security camera, they likely will do nothing for it, so you will have to do just the manual recording trick.

5. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA

Advertisements

Thanks for the response, but the manual recording trick no longer works with the current software version. Any other options - or am I out of luck?

6. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Can't you do a channel scan? If it finds the unused channel, I thought it woud add it to the list without the proper identifying info or program guide. It should then show up whenever you channel/page up or down. Won't that let you schedule a manual recording?

7. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA
    Channel scan??

8. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Sorry, I don't have a S2, but on my S3 and Tivo HD, go to Tivo Central | Messages and Settings | Settings | Channels | Channel Scan | Scan for Channels (v9.3).

This should detect channels being received whether in the downloaded guded setup channel list or not. For S3/THD users reading this thread, this will not work for cablecard equipped Tivos. They rely on the channel map sent by the cable company.

Tivo should find the CCTV channel, but not be able to identify what it is. Once you add it to your list of channels you receive, I think you should be able to schedule a recording on it.

9. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA
    Thanks for the idea, but the S2 does not have that option. :(

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Ummm....

You could always buy a TiVo HD... :p

11. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    I will be visiting my sister this weekend and she has a S2. I will take a look at hers and see what is available.

12. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

:rolleyes:

Feel free to look, but as said, Series 2 machines (and Series 1s) don't have the option of doing a "channel scan".

During setup you input your zip code and identify what sort of TV reception you have (antenna, satellite, cable, combo, whatever).

TiVo then sends you the lineup for your area, and tells your Series 1 or 2 machine that these are the channels it can tune and record.

If something's missing or out of place, you notify TiVo by way of the webpage linked to above by Scandia, and they're usually pretty quick (two/three days?) about modifying your channel lineup or adding a separate one if yours is not identical to others in the area.

That's the only way to get another channel on your TiVo, especially to have it be included in your channel lineup and grid listings.

13. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA
    Thanks. I appreciate the effort. But I'm afraid, as gastrof stated, I think I'm out of luck.

Hope you're able to find some workaround. Thanks again.

14. satmaster

satmaster Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Louisiana
  15. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The link has been taken down. You now need to call TiVo Support and report the problem.

16. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    Tivo is clueless. Cable devices will end up putting them out of business despite crappy technology and worse customer service...

17. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Did you have a question about adding a channel to a lineup? :confused:

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It's ridiculous that Tivo would spend money to remove functionality that would enhance the usability of their product. No doubt they get more calls about this issue , which costs them even more money. Tom Rogers is a genius.

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Hmm...works for me. :confused:

20. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    This is an older thread revived by an off-topic post. I would imagine it was a temporary page outage in 2009...