How to Add a 3rd DVR Tivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jake34, Sep 30, 2006.

1. jake34

jake34 New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pennsylvania

Advertisements

I am considering the addition of a 3rd DVR with Tivo and wonder if I can do it myself
    I currently use an HR 10 HD DVR in one room and Std Def DVR in another room. The 3rd DVR I would like to hook up in another room is a Std Def DVR. The Question is can I do it myself and how do I do it?
    I went up on roof and determined that there are 4 cables coming from my triple lnb dish into the house. 2 go to the HD DVR and the other two go to the Std Def DVR.
    Do I need to run 2 more cables (that would make 6 total) from the dish or is there some other way you go about creating two cables that need to be run for 3rd DVR I want to install?
    Based on answer to the question will determine if I will need to pay a Directv installer or go about this myself.
    Thanks for any guidance/clarification.

2. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    You will need a multiswitch. It is best to call DTV and have them do it IMO.

3. Oct 1, 2006 #3 of 11
    jake34

jake34 New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I was looking through my box of extra wires in the basement and found an RCA 4-way Multi-Switch. It was left over from when I had a round dish and I guess it was needed for having 2 dvrs at that time.
    Is this the right multi switch that is needed for my situation. If it is, I may ask more on this to see maybe I can do this myself.
    Thanks for any help.

4. Oct 1, 2006 #4 of 11
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    If that is designed for a dual LNB dish, then it will not work. You need an 8 output cascadable switch to work with a Phase III dish. Eagle Aspen is one company that makes a compatable switch.

-Robert

5. Oct 1, 2006 #5 of 11
    jake34

jake34 New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pennsylvania

Advertisements

I did a search on Eagle Aspen. Would the Eagle Aspen DTV 4 X 8 Directv Approved 4in and 8 out Multi switch be the right one to use for my situation??
    It costs like $53 on Buy.com. Directv said they would add third receiver using my currently owned DVR for $99. If that includes their covering the multi switch that seems to be the way to go and make it easy on myself. If it is $99 plus cost of multi switch that is another story. I will call and ask them for those details.
    I appreciate the help with this. Not exactly one of my areas of expertise.

6. Oct 1, 2006 #6 of 11
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    DirecTV's install will cover all necessary parts including the switch. The chance of getting a Tivo powered DVR are slim to none.

-Robert

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 11
    jake34

jake34 New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I was able to get an Eagle Aspen 4X8 Multi-switch from Ebay which should arrive in a few days. I went to Eagle Aspen site and printed out their instructions on hooking up which were a little fuzzy.
    Question----- Is the following correct for using this to add third DVR??
    1. The four coax coming from dish can attached to any of the 4 connections on the switch in any order.
    2. It appears I will then run 6 coax runs(2 each to each of my 3 recorders) from the side of the switch with 6 connections. It appears that these can be connected in any order on the switch too. Is that correct??
    3. Lastly, I connect AC/DC to power supply.

Is there anything I would be doing wrong in what I have stated? Is this all it takes or is there more to this than I realize? I was most concerned that there is no particular order to hooking up cables on the multi-switch.

Please excuse what may seem like elementary question but it is not elementary to me. Besides, since I already have this extra DVR I may as well use it.
    Note one of the DVR's is the HD w/ Tivo.

Thanks for any clarification on this hookup to be sure I am doing properly.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 11
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    1. Correct
    2. Correct
    3. Correct

-Robert

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 11
    jake34

jake34 New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Robert. Hopefully I won't need to ask anything more.

10. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Don't forget you can also run a 5th coax from an ota antenna to the multiswitch. Then, ota has been diplexed onto all 8 coax outputs. Just use a single diplexor at the HR10 to split the ota into the antenna input.

Works great as long as you are in a decent reception area.

My antenna hangs in the attic.

11. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Ain't gonna work with the 4x8 switch he bought... ;) :confused: