How stupid are these new Rovi guide data entry people?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by headless chicken, Mar 29, 2018.

1. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004

Advertisements

Rhetorical question, because we all know the answer.

Barry - April 8, 2018

S1 E4 'Chapter Three: Make the Unsafe Choice'

Hello. It says Chapter Three right in the episode title, and yet this gets mislabeled episode 4.

tarheelblue32 and computersteve like this.
  2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I think it's pretty obvious to all of us at this point that Rovi doesn't hire the best people to maintain their database. We could do a much better job of it for them if they implemented some kind of wiki model for fixing guide data issues.

3. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    If data entry was done overseas they could have read the title 'Chapter Three:Make the Unsafe Choice' depending on the English proficiency they would not see this as chapter three as we would. You see data errors outside of the Tivo world like this more than you would think.

4. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I think my favorite Rovi-ism is the fact that Dr McCoy wasn't introduced on Star Trek until the 10th episode.

Strictly speaking, they're not 'wrong'. The Corbormite Maneuver was indeed the first episode DeForest Kelley filmed as McCoy. But since TV is filmed out of order (so are movies for that matter) that does not equate to being the first episode he's in. Maybe if they just described the show instead of their review...naw, never gonna happen.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Maybe there's something about 4/8, since The Weather Channel is one hour off.

6. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    What if S1 first episode was episode 1 and S1 2-4 are a three part episode, ie chapter 1,2,3 of multi part episode)? Though since you made the post I'm guessing that is not the case.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Why limit speculation to just stupid data entry people? Other factors to consider include poor management, poor procedures and (my favorite) insufficient resources. They've got all these prepaid lifetime subs to support that don't provide a revenue stream, and when Rovi absorbed TiVo they either ignored or underestimated the effort required to do decent TiVo program guides. Turns out they can get away with it anyway (because there is no true competition for TiVo's).

The more I think about it the more I suspect that calling the data entry people stupid is just unfair scapegoating.

cwerdna likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Computer geeks who assumed the first episode was Chapter Zero.

The Merg, murgatroyd, TonyD79 and 3 others like this.
  9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    :D:D:D
    You can't make this stuff up. Look at today's guide on MSNBC and CNN. While the descriptions are right, the guide has Formula 1: and IndyCar. Starts at 2pm and goes on & off to 10pm.

My service connection was 10:45am today.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    I lived overseas for 3 years in a country where English was spoken and treated as major language. I don’t think you will ever get the result we both desire from outsourcing this job. English is just different in other countries - it isn’t wrong, it’s just nuanced differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    TiVo is absolutely not the only one using Rovi data. In fact, if I recall correctly, only one major provider ISN'T. Trying to say the problem is because of lifetime subscriptions is like saying Coke is losing money because their employees drink Coke in the break room. Yes, they do...but then Coke sells 99.9999999999% of the rest of it, so the break room is certainly not a problem.

Read the forum for almost any provider, they're filled with posts lamenting the awful guide data since the provider switched.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Even tvguide.com has the wrong text in its guide. The fish rots from the head.

13. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    How stupid are these new Rovi guide data entry people?

To Be Announced

Doug G, murgatroyd, leswar and 11 others like this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This reminded me of the pic I took either Weds or Thurs after a service connection...

IMG_4656.JPG

Doug G, cwerdna and JoeKustra like this.
  15. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    I dunno: GraceNotes (previously Tribune Media Svcs) seems to do a stellar job w/timely accuracy and specific descriptions of both late-prepared programming (talk shows) and eclectic local programming. In fact, I could almost always count on errors being due to what they were originally handed by the channels' programming dep't!

Ever since Rovi forcefed their data -- which as mentioned is used by everyone from TV Guide to the original content providers themselves -- down all our TiVos' collective throats, there've been numerous and regular errors, omissions, and as illustrated, plain laughable miscues, whose frequency sadly shows little signs of abating.

(I'm not even touching on their embarrassing film descriptions, breathless and bordering on PR, lauding even those movies sporting one star. GN gives an objective summary and let's the star rating (which is fast becoming scarce) speak for itself.)

Thank goodness for zap2it.com, which reflects GraceNotes' database; many a time have they saved my bacon when something just didn't seem right in the Guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    stile99, JoeKustra and krkaufman like this.
  16. tenthplanet

Mar 5, 2004
    Dish and in turn Sling TV also get some data weirdness because of Rovi, not as entertaining as some of Tivo weirdness, but can cause new shows to not to record and old shows flagged as new.

17. tenthplanet

Mar 5, 2004
    Agreed. Context makes a difference, there are things we all understand every day not because how they are described, but what we know that description to mean. Slang comes to mind as something that does not always travel from country to country.

18. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I forced a connection at 4pm and now tonight's episode of Rachel Maddow is pre-empted by Richard Engel on Assignment.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have no idea what show you are talking about, but if the first "episode" was 2 hours long vs 1 hour normally, the network has called that 2 episodes for years.. probably forever...

20. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    The show is Barry, and the first episode was the standard 30 minutes for a comedy on HBO.