How often do you clean your Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by betts4, Jul 22, 2007.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I saw on another thread about a guy selling his tivo on ebay and the OP there was upset that it looked so clogged up...and that it was being sold like that.

Maybe this isn't a happy hour question, but you all are as smart as the geeks on the other tivo areas (the tech ones) and I am comfortable here, so I thought I would ask.

I have two dogs and lots of dog hair. I am actually scared to look at the back of my tivo now. I do have some air to blow it out, but how is that done? It's my bad but it's been two years and seems fine. Okay, I have never done it to my computer PC fan either. I have only used the air on the keyboard.

And one more question, is there any sort of cover to put on the tivo to save it from dust and dog hair that won't over heat it. I don't have and can't get anytime soon a glass entertainment type dealie.

2. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    Inside? Once about a year ago when I upgraded it. It was much better inside than I thought. Outside? I dust every week.

3. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I've had my old series 2 for about 3 or 4 years and I never opened it up till I upgraded it a few months ago. I expected it to be FILTHY and covered with dust bunnies. I was pleasantly surprised with so little dust that was inside. If it were on of my PC's, I doubt that a Dyson vacuum would be able to clean it out.

4. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Had it
    since 1999. Perhaps one of these days I will actively clean it. Drive replacements in 2000 and 2005 revealed far less dust/stuff than I see in my PCs after a year or less...

5. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I cleaned my S3 about a week ago. My primary goal in opening the case was to check things out before I upgrade. I got the S3 the day it was first available. I was suprised how clean it was, as my A/V cabinet is usually a mess. The fan had some dust but the unit was otherwise spotless. Despite this cleanliness, I recomend a basic cleaning at least once a year.

6. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    I first cracked open my S1 D*Tivo in 2003 to upgrade the HDD and again in 2006 to replace the fan. No accumulation of doghair or dust bunnies inside the case, just some dust.

7. freeze12

freeze12 Member

Aug 20, 2006
    I dust My Toshiba RS-TX20 & spray the Fan area with canned air once a month just to keep Her nice & cool :eek:

8. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    You're all shutting down before the blowing right? Seems smart.

Be careful with vacuuming inside any PC (or TiVo), too. Do it for very long, and the static charge that builds up from the friction going past the plastic nozzle can do very very bad things. I speak from experience.

9. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    After every time My TiVo Gets Me. :eek:

10. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    This is why I'm pleased to have this nifty 3M service vaccum where everything is properly grounded. It's sole purpose is for vacuuming electronics of various sorts. Sadly, I never use it. ;)

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I cleaned mine a few weeks ago. It sits pretty high on a shelf, so doesn't get that dusty. The computer is worse.

What you need to do to keep dust and other nasties out, is attach filter material on the air inlets on the bottom of the TiVo.

12. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Actually this is probably a good reminder. My TiVo never used to need cleaning, but now that I have cats I should be probably be a least checking it out...

13. cassiusdrow

cassiusdrow Member

May 21, 2003
    NJ
    I just cleaned out my entire system this weekend. I try to do this every six months or so, but it usually winds up being once a year. I have several cats so I expected there to be a high level of dust/hair in all of the equipment. As it turned out only the receivers, TiVos, and cableboxes had much dust or hair in them.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I check the To Do list at least every few days... oh, you don't mean THAT kind of cleaning.
    (at least every day during the major new-episodes season... though I just lost at LEAST one SNL from early this year over the weekend because a SP started recording episodes and I didn't expect it.. I must've forgotten to check the To Do list before I went to bed..)