1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often and at what time does the guide do major updates? if it does...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jjeff, Jul 16, 2017.

1. jjeff

jjeff Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Minneapolis MN
    I suppose this thread could have gone in the more active Roamio thread, especially since I have both, but I'll give it a try here, although the answer is probably the same across all Tivo platforms.
    I like to manually look through my guide Sunday mornings and have noted if the guide has updated quite early Sunday morning, say 5am ish, if I do a manual update at say 10am, it downloads quite a bit more information. As I no longer have dial-up I can't go off how long it takes to download the guide, as it only takes seconds, but I go off how long it takes to load my download, which with a larger download can take several minutes. What I've noticed is if the automatic update was say at 9am it only takes a couple seconds to update the guide, telling me not much if any was changed, leading me to believe major weekly updates might be done at say 8-9am ish Sunday morning??
    When I manually look at my guide for the upcoming week I like to have the most recent updates and have noticed if I go at say a 5am download not all of the weekly talk shows have been updated with what stars will be on the program, if I download at say 10am Sun AM it seems most have been populated for the upcoming week.
    Anyone know?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    TiVo seems to update their guide data in the afternoon some time (daily) so your TiVo gets new data the next time that it makes the next service connection after that.

Scott

3. jjeff

jjeff Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Minneapolis MN
    Thats not what I've really noticed, at least as far as updating who's going to be on a particular talk show for the coming week. It seems like nothing gets done and then at some point Sunday morning they send out the updates for the coming week.....
    Often times they update or change things during the week, but it seems to me anyway that a major update for the whole week is done sometime Sunday morning....of course I could be wrong.
    I will say though that with the Rovi take over far fewer programs are updated with any real info, most are now blank :mad:

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We don't record any talk shows so my experience is only with other scripted shows, and some Food Network and HGTV shows. So maybe talk shows are different. Occasionally I'll see a show in the ToDo list on the last day of downloaded data that has generic info but those get populated a day or so later.

Scott

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You're probably going to want to upgrade to a 2TB hard drive and set season passes to record everything when there is generic or blank guide data.