How much streaming audio can a broadband connection support?

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by Lamarviking, May 2, 2006.

1. Lamarviking

Lamarviking New Member

Dec 3, 2004

Advertisements

If I want to connect 8-10 tivos to my broadbannd connection and have them stream audio from shoutcast all at the same time, can a single broadband connection support this?

2. brunson

brunson New Member

Apr 26, 2005
    "Broadband" is a broad term. How fast is your connection? And what bitrate are the data streams? My Comcast is (supposedly) 6MB, which should handle it with no problem. A 1MB connection may be pushing it.

connection speed / ( ( datastream bitrate 1 + datastream bitrate 2 + ... + datastream bitrate n ) * 1.1 ) < 1 means you're probably okay

3. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Also, if there's any chance one or more of the TiVos may be connected (and listening) to the same stream simultaneously, you can download the Shoutcast Steramer Plugin and/or the standalone Shoutcast Server and fetch only one stream from the web over your broadband, and serve all the TiVos listening to it from the locally streamed one.

Added usefulness - you can 'DJ' over it, mix in microphone, other sources, fade into other streams/songs etc etc.

Out of curiosity, what are these TiVos going to used for? :)

4. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    No follow-up, eh?

I'd love to know how things worked out!

5. Lamarviking

Lamarviking New Member

Dec 3, 2004

Advertisements

I've been SO busy! I don't frequent the site as often as I used to, I haven't actually tried it yet, I own a retail tanning salon and am considering using "squeeze" boxs in the tanning rooms to put shoutcast in the there for my customers.

6. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    But you know about the camera in the red light and the 'eye' section of the TiVo, right?

I imagine this would be illegal (although potentially entertaining!) in a tanning saloon :eek:

JK - good luck! Thanks for the follow-up!