How much is the service fee for a Tivo DVR on comcast

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by Karlzbad, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Karlzbad

Karlzbad New Member

Jan 25, 2009

Advertisements

Of course I hate my comcast DVR. I don't see any threads in this forum with fee or charge or cost in the title. It looks like people are saying the first cable card from comcast is free and each other is $1.50, but how much can I get the Tivo service for?

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    This forum you've posted in is about the Comcast TiVo service, which is available in just certain areas. The Comcast TiVo service runs on your current Comcast DVR -- it is just a software download. Here, the fee is $2.95 per month.

Here's a link to the forum for questions about HD TiVo DVRs (the ones for which you'll need to worry about how much your cable company charges for CableCARDs): http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51

3. Karlzbad

Karlzbad New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Thanks, I know that its available here, I'm wondering how much the service is or what kind of deal I can get for the service using a tivo device on comcast. I thought this forum was about both the Tivo service on Comcast DVR's and Tivo devices on comcast.

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yup, that latter assumption (that this forum is also for TiVo devices on Comcast systems) is pretty common. It is, however, not the case.

Just a bit more on the number I gave you: $2.95. That might be last year's price. It might be a bit more now. I don't have the latest price list handy.

5. tom.vachon

tom.vachon New Member

Feb 23, 2009

Advertisements

2.95 as of last week. I just got it, I hate Passport and SARA software. Here is hoping tivo is a little smarter.

6. carios23

carios23 New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Hattiesburg, MS
    2.95 is a very good deal

7. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I guess for the first (only) DVR it may be, but the second would cost:
    $6.95 outlet fee
    $14.95 DVR
    $2.95 TiVo service

$24.85 Total.

The payback on a LT serviced real TiVo gets pretty short with this total.
    (What disappointed me most with the Comcast TiVo service was the lack of any MRV/ networking ability. Even with one box, the ability to update a show request from the web is a great feature.)

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I think the $2.95 covers all the dvr's in the house.

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    And as I understand it, you cannot have the TiVo service on one Motorola DVR and the iGuide service on another, within the same account.

10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I think that's correct. I am waiting for cox to finally release it also.

11. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I recommend analyzing the cost of a Comast TiVo DVR and a real TiVo HD DVR.

Break even for most is about 3.5 years and 3 years when you add the Comcast TiVo fee.

Not to mention ALL the benefits.

12. rickb

rickb Regular Joe

Jan 27, 2002
    Boston
    I just got rid of my Comcast Tivo, what a piece of junk.
    Now a proud owner of a Tivo HD with Comcast Cable Card

13. LeoGetz

LeoGetz New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I agree I have giving Comcast enough time and my money to get TIVO to work correctly. I am done...Something I posted about my issues. Bottom line I should have bought a standalone TIVO.

Well I got the Comcast TIVO service when it was first available for the Boston area well over a year ago maybe two years. I was told that there were bugs so be patient with the "new" service. I had the DIRECTV TiVo and loved it. I left DIRECTV when they left TiVo. I love TiVo. But I am done with the Comcast TiVo. I have 2 HD boxes and have nothing but issues with both boxes. Both have been swapped out twice and an amplifier on my network. I get reboots at random times..not just at night with updates. The dvr freezes up a lot. I have to unplug the DVR and plug in one every couple weeks. Nothing like wanting to watch tv and have to troubleshoot youÂ’re TV after a long day at work. The time changed two days earlier than supposed to (for the DST). I could go on but I will stop. I guess I should have bought a standalone TIVO. Comcast is giving TIVO a bad name. Never had those issues with the DIRECTV version and when I call to complain to Comcast a rep said that TIVO is trash...Of course who knows who that rep is so I guess I take that with a grain of salt. Oh ya to charge me like 40 bucks a month just for the HD DVRs is a complete rip off...had to throw that in there. If Verizon had a faster internet in my area I would switch that day. Love TIVO not happy with COMCAST

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I think there is enough blame to go around here. TiVo agreed to port their software onto a hardware platform that was not going to put their software in a positive light -- that's on them.

15. homer.alan

homer.alan New Member

May 30, 2009
    Tivo used to be great... I really liked my Sony SAT-T60 that I had when I had Directv (service was cheep $5 paid to Directv and even free on some plans) and it worked well.

Tivo on Comcast is a Joke - Tivo without the media streaming & networking capabilites is just a modest improvement over the junky Motorola DVR we all love to hate. And the premium price is way too high for what you get.

Tivo faces many challenges and doesnt seem to be very interested in addressing their many problems. When people pay a premium price for Tivo service they expect to be treated as a valued customer and expect to recieve excellent customer service. What part of this doesnt Tivo Inc. understand?

Tivo customer support has gotten so bad that Sprint actually is in danger of loosing thier "Customer Support Hall of Shame" trophy that's been theirs undisputed for many years.

A recent support call routed to their Louisville KY call center to set up a cable card in a Tivo HDXL which should have been as simple as sliding the cards into the slots and the Comcast tech calling in the cards serial #'s to activate them turned into 2 Comcast tech visits and a swap out of the Tivo HDXL unit itself. I did a little research and figured out that the problem was common and was caused by an incompatabilty with M series cable cards and that 2 S series cards should resolve the problem. I was right it worked but I'm left wondering if this is common why didnt the support staff know how to make it woirk.

16. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    What a wholly ridiculous thing to say. Where did you get your information?

You're playing the part of the unreasonable and clueless customer, very well.

The comments you replied to outlined a rational context for the challenges associated with running TiVo software on the Motorola platform. With respect, your comments, here, are just silly.

17. Claudia Watts

Claudia Watts New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hi, I am going to be a new owner of a HD Tivo and I'm looking ahead to getting service (I guess) with Comcast and installing the cable cards into my Tivo to be able to receive more channels. I haven't called Comcast......thought I'd tried to find out some cost for service and the cable cards from someone on the Forum. Can someone help me with this, please?

18. tyrntlzrdking

tyrntlzrdking New Member

May 28, 2009
    Claudia,
    I am new to TiVo. I just signed up for a lifetime membership about two weeks ago.
    I have had Comcast basic (plus) for many years. I think I am grandfathered in. I pay $15. per month.
    When I went thru the process of getting a M card with comcast, they told me I had to upgrade to a digital package ($$$$).
    They also told me I had to pay $1.50 per month for the card.
    I went along with them until I got my card installed, and then I called them and complained that the first card should be free and there was no need for me to be required to go to a digital package.
    I just called and told them I wanted to cancel my internet and TV.
    As soon as I told them I was going to cancel, they backed down and agreed to whatever I told them.
    I pay $15.00 month for TV and no charge for card.
    Also got the service fee for installing card waved.

19. Claudia Watts

Claudia Watts New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hello and thank you for the information. You really have a deal with all your getting for so little money. I just called Comcast and the quote to me was - $29.99/month for 12 months, then $51.50/month For the service. I forgot to ask how much the cable card was, but he did tell me that I could come by the office near me to purchase the M-Card. Comcast said they would have to come out to start my service and install the M-Card, then I would need to call tech support with the M-Card reference that comes up on my Tivo after installing the M-Card. After that the two would link. I'm sure there would probably be a service fee for coming out. How does this sound to you?

20. Gmaxx

Gmaxx New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Before I comment on this I'd like to say that I am NOT a fan of Comcast at all.
    Long story short, the new HD channels rain fade out much sooner than the old HD channels did, and my wife was sick of looking at the dish on the side of our house.

That being said, where on earth did you come up with these fees? I'm north of boston but my fees don't look anything like that. I have one Tivo included in my HD triple play pack and they are charging me 15.95 for the second. The bill even states that Tivo service is included with the dvr fee.

Even though there are many features not yet available on these ComTivo's as compared to "real" hd tivo, there is one feature not available on a "real" hd tivo. ON DEMAND. On Demand is where Comcast hides most of their HD programming. I like to watch programs in HD so cutting out the biggest portion of HD from Comcast's lineup just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I am coming from Directv which has far more HD channels than Comcast but there on demand is not quite... on demand. You have to download the programs to your DVR and watch them at a later time.

The Comtivo's that were installed in my house are quite snappy. I had read everything I could find the net about these things before I placed the order. I have had 3 other Tivo's so I have a good idea how wonky these things can be. These ones are just as quick as the best and fastest series one I had and faster than both of my series 2.