How much Hassle to get cable cards working?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Joe Jensen, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 11
    Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Sorry for the rambling, but I need some advice

I've been a using Sat Tivo since it launched. We are dedicated Tivo users, but admittedly we haven't tried the new HD DVR from the Sat provider.

Currently we use an HR10-250 on the HDTV in the living room and the original 6000 Philips box in the bedroom. The events are forcing a decision for us. We are not currently on any time commitment with D*TV and we own the HR10-250 (Paid $900)

1) Just bought a 42" LCD 1080p TV for the bedroom
    2) MPEG4 is eminent
    3) I may have access to a friends owned HR10-250 for the bedroom.

First, if I swap the old DSR6000 for an owned HR10-250, do I get committed to 2 years more with D*TV?

I'm pretty sure that I would end up paying a lot more for Cable bases systems with HD Tivos. I would have multiple cable cards, digital access fees, and more than $20 a month to Tivo. Plus apparently Cable is fighting back with switched channels for HD?

If I take the plunge on HD Tivos, is it a pretty good bet that I will spend hours and hours and multiple cable company visits to my home to get then (two units) working?

If I can use the 2nd HR10-250 without a 2 year commitment should I do that until 2008 when maybe the situation will be more clear?

PS: I'm in Phoenix where we have COX cable and no date for FIOS....joe

2. Sep 7, 2007 #2 of 11
    dkwong

dkwong New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Union City, CA
    After reading all the horror stories on this forum, I was worried that my cable card install would be a nightmare as well. Fortunately, my experience was completely positive. The Comcast the arrived within the specified two hour window, plugged in the card, called up to activate it, and everything worked the first time. So it is possible to have a good cable card experience.

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 11
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Everything worked for me too, (TWC), although I had to tell the installer to install it in slot #1 first. :) I was surprised when it worked, after all his bitching and lack of experience. Go ahead and get it.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 11
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    It only took one visit from the installer for me (Comcast), but it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. It took over 4 hours since one of the cards apparently needed to update its firmware, but never gave any indication that it was doing so. This prevented the head-end from performing a hit on the card until it was finished. After it was done and the cards were paired and activated everything worked fine.

My advice is to make sure the installer brings plenty of cards. In my case the installer had 3 cards and I was lucky since only one was bad.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 11
    TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York

Advertisements

I've gone through the cablecard install twice - once with Cablevision when I first got my S3 in January, and once about a month ago with Verizon when I switched to FIOS. Both installs went off without a hitch. One of the keys is to familiarize yourself with the install process and some of the things that might go wrong and their resolution prior to the installer getting there. It also helps to get an installer who's willing to look at the instructions and follow them. My Verizon tech, for example, had never done a Tivo install and sat with me to read through the instructions and we did it together. Took 30 minutes from start to finish, most of the time waiting for the activation to go through (about 10 minutes/card).

Just my story, but hopefully it's helpful.

6. Sep 7, 2007 #6 of 11
    Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    I called the first CSR and they wanted me to commit to a 2 year contract just to swap from an old DSR6000 to a friends HR10-250. Called right back and the second CSR said no issue switching, no contract required...joe

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 11
    Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    It can be hassle getting them going, but once they work...they work. I made the switch from DirecTV and I'm not disappointed.

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 11
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Almost impossible to tell - will vary widely with your cable company and installer.

If you are lucky, 10 minutes. If not, who knows.

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 11
    Illrigger

Illrigger New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    If you can get the cards and install yourself, do it. It was a painless minute process for me: stick in cards, read off serial number then pairing number of card one, then card two, wait half an hour for the cards to be provisioned and to pull down the proframming info. All in all, I was up and using the guide in 15 minutes, and programming season passes in less than an hour.

10. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    i've gone through two cablecard installations on my two TiVo HDs (the two installs were because i bought them three weeks apart) and experienced no hassles at all. both installs were uneventful and took less than an hour.
    --
    Alan :D

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Bottom line is that the cablecard install should take somewhere between 15 minutes and never.