How much does a service call cost?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by joellyn, Jan 29, 2007.

1. joellyn

joellyn New Member

Nov 6, 2005

Advertisements

My husband called 2 months ago to place a service call and made some deal with Direct TV. I need to call them and see what he actually agreed to.

Anyway, they charged us $30 for a service call and I think he agreed to adding the protection plan for a year. So they've been charging us the $6.00 (I think) for that each month.

Does anyone know how much a service call usually costs? Does that sound like a good or bad deal?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    $30 for a "truck roll" is pretty low nowadays. I've had quotes from Verizon and Comcast considerably higher than that.

Whether the protection plan is worth it depends on your pain threshold and how much you're willing to self-insure. Since it covers, I think, everything from the receiver to the dish, if you're not technically inclined you may find it worth the peace of mind. I wouldn't pay it, but then again I did my own install including the dish.

3. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    They charged me $75 when I was zapped by lightning. They ended up replacing the dish, multiswitch, and two receivers. But they quoted $75 on the phone when scheduling the call, so it wasn't related to the amount of fried equipment.

4. kenr

kenr New Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Florham...
    I wouldn't consider this plan at all since I have 4 DirecTV Tivos and I know if something happened with one of them, DirecTV would replace it with the R15 which some people and forums refer to as an inferior replacement.

5. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000

Advertisements

I don't think "inferior replacement" is the actual words they generally use. :D

Mark

6. leftstrat

leftstrat New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    I think the actual words used are the same ones I used to use to describe an old '72 Chevette that I once owned.. :)

7. Joe C

Joe C New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Sparta, NJ
    Hey come on now the Che"vette" was a damn fine automobile. ;) A true testiment to the engineering capabilites of GM. :D

8. extension 721

extension 721 Minor Deity of TV

Sep 29, 2005
    The skinny:

D* generally pays the contractors at least $100, usually more for a run-out.

(About a third (over $20, under $50) of that winds up in the installer's pocket.)

They take a hit no matter what, hence the phone guys trying to get it fixed over the phone.

'course, if it's "under warranty" froma recent install the installer gets no pay.

The insurance plan is like any property insurance...you pay more on the average, but don't have to worry about the $70 charge for a run-out or shipping on out-of warranty stuff.

If you're bill gates rich you'd rather "self insure" your $500,000 summer cottages and fork over the cash to rebuild than pay an insurance company on them, because you save money on the average.