How many Wireless connections does my Tivo have?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by davidscarter, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jul 4, 2019 #1 of 16
    davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015

Advertisements

I'll try to make this as short as possible...

In the process of trying to diagnose some network weirdness, I was looking at devices that are connected to my wireless network (I was using data from both the AirPort utility and from the Fing app).

Near as I can tell, my Tivo Roamio has three separate connections, each with its own MAC address.

The first is the one I see when I look in the network settings section of the Tivo, and corresponds with the MAC address and assigned IP that the Tivo shows. Its name in the client list corresponds to my Tivo's service number. It has a Bonjour name of DVR-**** (where **** is the last four digits of my TSN).

The second has the same wireless client name in the clients list as the first (sometimes—other times it shows up as STR-****.local), but has a different MAC address and a different assigned IP. It has a Bonjour name of STR-****

The third doesn't show up at all in the Fing app, and only shows up in the Airport Wireless Clients list as a MAC address (different from the other two, but see note below) and without an assigned IP address. The only reason I know that this is related to my Tivo is because when I blocked that IP address in the router, the Tivo lost its internet connection (and when I unblocked it, the connection came back up).

(The three MAC addresses all start with the same first three hex digits, and the first two also have the 4th and 5th hex digits the same.)

So, does anyone know what the deal is with these apparently three separate wireless connections that the Tivo has?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. Jul 4, 2019 #2 of 16
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How many IP addresses are listed on the TiVo or the box it came in?

3. Jul 4, 2019 #3 of 16
    davidscarter

Sep 28, 2015
    Good question! (I should have looked there before futzing with blocking things on the router...) The back of the Tivo does show all three of the MAC addresses. So they all belong to the Tivo. I just can't figure why it needs three and what they are all doing? (Maybe the second is for Tivo home network with minis and other Tivos? But what is that third one doing...?)

4. Jul 4, 2019 #4 of 16
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Guessing it's not a basic/OTA? Then wired, wireless and MoCA or Stream. How your router displays the name is hardware dependent. Mine shows TiVo-<TSN>, but I only have basic boxes, so there's never a conflict. Plus I rename the display.

5. Jul 4, 2019 #5 of 16
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

You did not specify what model of Tivo Roamio (basic, OTA, Plus or Pro).... The Plus and Pro would have 3 MAC addresses, Tivo, MoCa, Stream. The other 2 does not.

6. Jul 4, 2019 #6 of 16
    davidscarter

Sep 28, 2015
    It's a Romio Pro. It's not connected by Ethernet or MOCA, and all three are showing as being connected to the Wireless...

7. Jul 4, 2019 #7 of 16
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Speculation: you are running TE4. It has network issues. Try a power cycle.

8. Jul 5, 2019 #8 of 16
    davidscarter

Sep 28, 2015
    Nope, running TE3. And situation is the same after a power cycle.

(To be clear: The Tivo is running fine; this is just a weird thing I discovered when trying to diagnose a different issue on my hone network...)

9. Jul 5, 2019 #9 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The “STR” MAC is associated with the built-in TiVo Stream module, which gets its own IP. The others are the wired/Ethernet and wireless/Wi-Fi interfaces, only one of which should be in use.

Why not? MoCA, at least, if an Ethernet connection isn’t available?

Or is that your lone TiVo box?

10. davidscarter

Sep 28, 2015
    That make sense; what confuses me is why the wired/ethernet MAC address would show up in the wireless clients list for my router, and why blocking it would knock the wireless interface off as well.

It is for all intents and purposes my only Tivo box. (I also have an old Tivo HD that is hooked up to an indoor antenna, but where I live the antenna only comes in 50% of the time...)

Also, I don't understand MoCA and it makes my head hurt. ;)

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Chuckle.

It’s pretty simple, but can be tackled if/when it becomes a need, such as when a Mini is added to the setup.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    :up:

13. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    I think of MOCA as piggybacking of the router data over the coaxial cable.
    Does that help?

HPNA is the piggybacking of the router data over the phone lines.

Powerline is the piggybacking of the router data over the electrical wires.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What’s Wi-Fi, then?

They’re all similar, in that each technology needs one access point-ish device that functions as the bridge between the router’s LAN and the technology-specific physical network segment (whether wireless, coax, or power lines). Wi-Fi’s big difference is that this main bridge function between Ethernet and Wi-Fi is built-in on nearly every router.

15. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Wi-Fi doesn't do no stinking piggybacking!

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Piggybacking over the Earth? :)