How Many Visits From Comcast?

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by SeanTivo, Apr 13, 2008.

How many visits has Comcast had to make?

1. 1 - The initial install and that's it.

40.0%
  2. 2 - Came back once after the install

12.0%
  3. 3 - twice since the install

16.0%
  4. 4 or more visits

32.0%
  1. SeanTivo

SeanTivo New Member

Sep 13, 2006

Advertisements

How many times has Comcast had to visit since you ordered the Tivo software?

2. Oknarf

Oknarf New Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hampton, NH
    I've got 3 HD Tivo Comcast boxes. After the initial install I had one go crazy 8's on me. That was replaced, the software update took on all 3 boxes and all is good, for the most part. :up:

3. brytrinque

brytrinque New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    I've just scheduled visit #4. I'm having my DCH switched out for a DCT... I've had enough of the missing DD5.1 and green screens. Hopefully they have the DCT when they show up.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Thats a big problem with comcast. You tell them a piece of equipment is bad and they show up with out a replacement. then you have to schedule another visit to have them bring it with them.

5. brytrinque

brytrinque New Member

Jan 30, 2008

Advertisements

Visit #4 was yesterday.. and as predicted, they did not have the DCT box for me as they were supposed to.

I was originally told that they could get it for me tomorrow(today). Then i received a call back later saying that they could not do a new install of the Tivo service on the DCT due to FCC regulations. Now I know they need to phase the DCTs out and move towards the host boxes, but there is no way that they cant push tivo down to a DCT. I'm assuming that they just cant find me a DCT box. Id also like to note that this is the first time out of all 4 of my Tivo related visits that it was actually a Comcast employee that showed up, and not an independent contractor.

6. Hew

Hew New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    How do you make polls? I think it would be a good idea to have a poll that shows ComcastTivo's good, bad, and ugly through the month. Just to see how or if they've improved, and just how many Comcast TiVo boxes are out there.

If such a poll already exists, sorry for not seeing it before I posted. :rolleyes:

7. brytrinque

brytrinque New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Well when I went to turn in My DCH and get a new one without the TIVO service, the only boxes they had were the DCT boxes.. So when I got it home, against my better judgment, I called comcast and had them push the tivo service out to it, and they did. 30 minutes later I had my DCT running the tivo service. Ive had it for a few days now and it seems to be running a lot better than the DCH I had. The menu is a lot faster, no green screens, dd5.1 is working. The only thing I can complain about is that it does take 2-8 minutes to set up a season pass.

8. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    Same here. I could complain about the stripped-down functionality, but I was expecting that.

OTOH the GUI has some improvements over my S2 TiVo, including PIP.

Integration with Comcast OnDemand is nice to have.

I wish it had multi-room viewing and home media player for music, photos, and Live365 etc.

9. dleggett3

dleggett3 New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Visit #4 today. Have to switch our our DCH box as it is consistently dropping the video to black screen

10. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    I spoke (and answered the poll) too soon. Comcast DVR no longer functions as a TiVo. All it can do is change channels, and even that doesn't work consistently. The unit keeps getting stuck in some kind of boot-up sequence. Panel alternately displays 88:88, goes dark, and back.

So now I'm waiting for a service tech to pay a visit. The closest appointment was 4 days after I called - very annoying.

11. dleggett3

dleggett3 New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Well, The technician never showed for my scheduled appointment to replace my DCH 3416 yesterday. I am now scheduled for visit # 5 on Saturday. I am seriously considering either canceling my comcast subscription completely, or getting a TivoHD unit. Comcast's customer service is amongst the worst I have ever seen.

12. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    I had the 88:88's too. I returned the box and use just my TiVo HD's. I wanted to try TiVo on Comcast with ONDemand. It worked like a TiVo but slow. I know it's buggy and they are working on it, but not fast enough. Last thing I read was that another update would be out within a few weeks because the update that included a fix for the crazy 8's problem in March introduced some new bugs and made it especially slow, so they stopped the rollout of that update to tweak it some more.

You can fuss with the Comcast TiVo until they get it right or just get a nearly flawless TiVo HD for less than $700 with Lifetime Service with the real full blown TiVo software on it and pick up a huge amount of features that make it worth every penny with a 30 day money back guarantee.

13. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    I'll give Comcast just this one chance to fix their DVR. If anything goes wrong after this service call, I'll return the darn thing and get a 2nd TiVo. I don't need HD video display. All I really want is a dual-tuner TiVo that works. (I'm assuming for the moment that my broken S2 with lifetime service is not fixable or not worth fixing.)

I need Comcast to come on-site anyway, to fix some crappy (re-)wiring they did in my house. I've been complaining about this to Comcast for over a year. Several of the low channels are unwatchable; half the time they can't be tuned in, and when they are available they suffer from severe tiling and blackout. It's a specific set of non-premium channels which offer a few shows I want to record.

I wish I had better alternatives. RCN and FIOS won't come up our hill. Satellite is looking better and better.