How many times have you used the Blockbuster app?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by aadam101, Sep 2, 2011.

How many times have you used the Blockbuster app?

1. Never

89 vote(s)
    91.8%
  2. 1 or 2 times

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. 3 or more times

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Sep 2, 2011 #1 of 15
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just read that Blockbuster is going to be available on Dish Network starting next month. I would imagine that's a very good deal for Blockbuster. I'm not sure how much value it adds to Dish.

I have been a bit perplexed over why Tivo even bothers to keep it around. I don't think it gets much use. Nobody complains about it or mentioned on this forum and when someone did ask a question it was tough to get an answer.

How many times have you used it?

2. Sep 2, 2011 #2 of 15
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Not really a surprise, since Dish owns Blockbuster or what's left of it.

3. Sep 2, 2011 #3 of 15
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Oh, I didn't realize that.

4. Sep 3, 2011 #4 of 15
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    i've never used it to purchase or rent. just to browse and see what they had on it. they need streaming to be successful.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #5 of 15
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Which is of course what is rumored to be what Dish is launching.

6. Sep 3, 2011 #6 of 15
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't they already have non streaming content available. Dish is supposed to be adding an all you can stream plan like Netflix.
    Redbox is supposed to be adding streaming later this year as well. Although the only way to compete with Netflix is to have an all you can stream plan. There are already too many providers that have you pay to view each title and VUDU has the best quality for that.

7. Sep 3, 2011 #7 of 15
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    When I had a Droid X, the Blockbuster app was built in. It could NOT be uninstalled from the phone. It's sad that they have to do business this way.

8. Sep 5, 2011 #8 of 15
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    If Dish launches a Blockbuster streaming plan to combine with rental by mail and in store rentals, I believe it will be a real competitor for Netflix. Despite the complaints about Netflix price increases, it is still a good value and it will be difficult for Blockbuster to beat the price and do so profitably.

9. Sep 5, 2011 #9 of 15
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Why? We have seen no evidence that Blockbuster is able compete. They offer a DVD by mail service to compete with Netflix and they are barely a blip on the radar.

Just look at how few people have used the Netflix app on their TiVo. It's not the brand it once was.

10. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    If you mean how few people have used the Blockbuster app, it is because the current Blockbuster VoD available on TiVo isn't worth using, at least in my opinion.

As far as a future Blockbuster streaming plan competing with Netflix, there is potential that Dish Network can use the Dish/Blockbuster customer base to good advantage and compete with Netflix but it will have to a good service and a good value.

11. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    I tried to use it this weekend for the first time. Went through the setup. When I tried to order a movie, it said "error" when trying to do final billing. Tried it again - same message. Tried it a third time - same message. So I gave up. Then today see my debit card statement, and there are 3 charges for the movie. No movie ever showed up. Not a good start.

12. vio2112

vio2112 New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    South of Heaven
    Blockbuster has a customer base? Hmm. I haven't stepped foot in one of their run down stores in years now. I think I would feel dirty and ashamed of myself if I did.

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Good point? Who is their customer base? The only thing I see at (former) Blockbuster stores are FOR LEASE signs.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There were four in my area and one closed down. Of course the one that closed down was the closest to me. I've been going to one regularly on my way home from work. Mainly so I can drop off my mailers. They still take longer than Netflix even when I drop the mailers off at the local Blockbuster. But at least instead of taking 3 or 4 days longer they only take one or two days longer than Netflix.

Blockbuster compliments the Netflix service well, but I could never replace my Netflix service with Blockbuster. Blockbuster just doesn't come close.
    The only advantage I see with Blockbuster is being able to take your mailer back to the local store to count as being returned or trading it for a title that is in the store. But at the one I go to, it's difficult to get a new release on BD since they are usually checked out. The movie RiO had all BD titles checked out for four weeks and I stopped by three or four times a week. I ended up getting it from Netflix the first day that Netflix had it available.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I used to use the Blockbuster mail service too when I had a convenient Blockbuster store to go to. When it closed, there was no reason to continue to I switched to Netflix for the streaming.