How many recorded shows do you still watch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dan203, Jul 29, 2019.

How many recorded shows do you watch?

1. I exclusively watch recorded shows

15 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. I watch mostly recorded shows

59 vote(s)
    58.4%
  3. I watch 50/50 recorded and streaming

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. I watch mostly streaming

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. I watch streaming exclusively

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

I find that I watch very little recorded TV any more. The vast majority of my time is spent watching streaming shows from Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Even the recorded shows I do watch could mostly be viewed on one of the streaming apps. How about you?

2. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I mostly watch live television -- not streamed, for the most part. Probably watch recordings about 20% of the time.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    An indeterminate mix, sometimes more, sometimes less. But I mostly watch at night... mostly.

kettledrum and realityboy like this.
  4. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The only recorded tv we still watch is the nightly news (national and local) and the wife likes the morning Today show. Usually live or slightly behind real time.

Everything else is streamed or from our Plex server.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008

Advertisements

98% recorded shows and 2% Netflix.

Noelmel likes this.
  6. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I record pretty much everything I watch, which is mostly primetime shows on NBC, CBS, and ABC (I don't have cable). As a single parent I'm usually putting my kids to bed during the first half of primetime, and by recording everything I have the added bonus of being able to skip through the commercials. I have Hulu which I mostly use for watching older shows from the 70's and 80's. I also have Netflix, but I find that I'm watching it less and less and I'll likely cancel my subscription by the end of the year.

kettledrum and Noelmel like this.
  7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    while at home, it's mostly recordings, i'll even pause live tv long enough to build a buffer to skip commercials. i only stream if there's absolutely no other choice, and if streaming includes commercials, forget it.

8. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    Depends on the season. In the fall when new series start up I record every single new show and give it a go to see if it's a winner. If not, I cancel the season pass and that's that.

During the summer I mostly watch Kodi, so HBO, Netflix, Prime, etc. Right now i'm hooked on "The Detour" from USA (iirc), Killing Eve, and Stranger Things. When I get those all watched it'll be time for new series to start on the networks.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I voted 50/50 but it's only a SWAG.

I watch nothing live, not even sports. Any cable TV shows I follow (we long ago gave up on the programming on the broadcast networks) are recorded so that I can either skip the commercials or (for the premium channels) watch at my leisure with the reminder of seeing them in the My Shows queue. But I will sometimes stream a show that is available on my TiVo just for the sake of the improved audio/video quality. We also stream quite bit from Netflix and Amazon Prime, in addition to watching Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays.

10. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Given that this is a TiVo forum, I won't be surprised if "mostly recorded shows" wins. But I have slowly slid into watching far more streaming than recorded shows, and nothing live except breaking news.

That includes streaming old shows I had once recorded and watched decades ago (on my TiVo, and on my VCR before that) as well as many wonderful new originals. My wife is still about 50/50 due to watching less overall and more TV news, but our college-age kids are 100% streaming to their phones and laptops.

Unfortunately for TiVo the company, as my shift to streaming was occurring I was also finding that the apps in our main TV were better than those on the TiVo boxes, and as those apps have "aged out" as well we now rely on an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    mschnebly likes this.
  11. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    I record everything and stream a little more in the summer. However, out of the little I do stream, a few streaming series I was into watching, either suddenly became unavailable (Tubi) or move from free on Amazon Prime to pay before I could finish them. This never happened to me before this year.

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I probably watch mostly recorded shows, then I also watch a fair amount of 'semi-live' tv, and then my streaming at the end. I have Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu (free version for Sprint customers). The Hulu has some commercials, but it's not many and they are brief, so it hasn't pushed me away. Plus, it's free so that's a big plus :)

13. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I watch a ton of shows recorded and very little streaming, probably the opposite way trends are going. I only have Netflix for another few weeks and then am canceling it.

Noelmel likes this.
  14. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Lets see:
    • 1 Broadcast network show thats on in the winter
    • 4 or 5 cable cooking shows for the wife
    • Local NHL Hockey
    • This Old House Hour from PBS
    • Lots of HBO/Netflix/Hulu/Prime shows
    • Colbert Monolog and MSNBC
    Broadcast has just about vanished

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is pretty much where I'm at. My wife watches a few cable reality TV shows, so she's made it clear she's unwilling to ditch cable, but I watch MSNBC in the morning and maybe a couple of basic network shows and that's it. The network shows I could get OTA or via Hulu, so really I don't need cable at all. If it weren't for my wife I'd probably cut the cord.

16. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    More recorded shows in the fall season, more streaming in the summer. Overall, about 50-50.

17. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I watch mostly recorded except for sports. I watch Netflix when I can't find anything on live TV or summer when almost nothing recorded. Other than Netflix's own shows - most of what is on is old stuff

18. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I record a lot. Broadcast networks...AMC, FX ,TBS, . ELEMENTARY, PREACHER, LEGION.. I have plenty of reasons to maintain the best DVR out there for at least 5 more years.

19. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Right now, mostly streaming. I watch more recorded when my shows aren't off for the summer, or the winter, or the spring. :p

20. Noelmel

Noelmel Active Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Right now I watch 100% recorded. I record pretty much every new show each season l so I'm really behind. I have Netflix and Hulu but rather would watch the dvr to skip commercials for network shows. My dvr is always almost full so even though there's some streaming only exclusive shows I wanna see (Stranger Things / Handmaids Tail / 13 Reasons Why / Orange Is The New Black etc) I have no time and need to delete recordings off the dvr before I can get to those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettledrum and gigaquad like this.