1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many MoCA adapters do I need? Are they built into the TIVO already?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Johnny Danger, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    How many MoCA adapters do I need? Are they built into the TIVO already?

For example, let say I have a Roamio DVR and 3 TV on TIVO mini.

Would I need 4 MoCa adapters to connect them all to the network via cable lines?

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Minis have MoCa built-in.

You need to be more specific in the models of Tivo DVRs you actually have. Using Roamio as an example is not definite. Roamio basic and OTA models (4 tuner models) do not have MoCa. Plus and Pro (6 tuner, cable only) models have MoCa built-in.

Your modem and router may or may not have built-in MoCa depending on models.

You may either need 1 or 2 (or none) MoCa adapters (AKA Tivo bridge) depending on your equipment.

3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I am thinking of a Roamio basic plus the TIVO Mini units.

Would this require 1 Moca adapter(AKA TIVO bridge)?

Also, what speed is required to the TV viewing on the TIVO?

I think my TIVO only does 1080P, not 4K. I wondering how much data speed I would need for this?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If you can connect the Roamio by Ethernet, then you only need one. If not, you’ll need two. Subtract one if your Router has Moca built in.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It would need a MoCa adapter (or just connect with ethernet cable.)
    The router would need one.

You can have a combination of ethernet and MoCa, because MoCa is just an extension of ethernet into the coax cables.

6. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    You can have a combination of MoCA and Ethernet? If I remember right, the TIVO setup process asked you to choose either MoCA or ethernet. Is that only asking about the individual box?

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A single Tivo can only be set for either ethernet or Moca or wireless.

What I was referring to is that each device can be on MoCa or ethernet.

Johnny Danger likes this.
  8. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    As already mentioned, details, like your ISP, cable modem/router, and if you will be able to reach your Roamio via Ethernet or not, are important because it will determine what equipment you will need.
    One detail not mentioned is MoCA filter(s), if not on Fios, you will likely need at least one MoCA filter and possibly more depending on you equipment and coax network...
    Edit: Although wireless to the Roamio Basic is builtin, using wireless will usually work ok for the Tivo DVR, feeding a few minis from that same DVR is almost certainly not going to work.

krkaufman likes this.