How many minis can be linked to a Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by the block, Feb 18, 2020.

1. the block

the block Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    I have a Roamio w/ lifetime still chugging along just fine, and 4 old style mini's (not mini vox's). I've recently moved to a new house and now have a desire to get television access in 2 additional rooms, so that would call for 2 more minis, 6 total.

Can a Roamio have 6 minis linked to it? I know there's only 6 tuners so if someone is watching live TV on the Roamio itself, only 5 minis can be watching at the same time (and nothing would be recording), which is fine. It probably wouldn't be more then 1 or 2 minis at a time, but I would like the option for television in multiple additional rooms.

Also, since the original minis no longer seem to be for sale, I assume the mini vox's would be what I should buy? I assume those will work fine with the Roamio?

Thanks for the info.

2. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Found this in another thread...

"You may have a maximum number of 12 TiVo set-top boxes (DVRs or TiVo Mini boxes) on the same account."

Paul Shivers

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Mini VOX comes with a VOX remote. You will need to use that remote in IR mode.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    So the answer is 11.

5. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    There are two limits (well, maybe three):

1: 12 devices per TiVo account. This is a hard limit, once you get past this number things get weird, quick.

2: 5 Minis watching Live TV at once (for a 6-tuner Roamio, 3 at once for a base model) as the roamio will always reserve one for itself. Other Minis that attempt to access live TV will encounter the "no tuner, go watch a recording" message. This assumes no recordings - otherwise, subtract (number of recordings + 1) from 6 to get available tuners.

3: Limits of your internal network - keep in mind how much bandwidth HD streams can use.

Mini Voxen will work fine, but A93 Minis can be had for cheaper on eBay - there's no spinning drive, so I don't consider it too risky a purchase. Or hang around our sales forum.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To be exact, it's 12 active devices. There's a place for inactive device - those with no service but could be activated.

7. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Will a mini work with a two tuner Premiere? thanks.

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I have four Minis and split them between two host TiVos (two Minis each) so the hosts don't get tied up.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Mini can not use a two-tuner Premiere as a host. It can access the programs. You need a four/six-tuner TiVo for a host before a Mini will work.