How many current UK users?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, Feb 7, 2011.

Imagine it's the 1st April, which option best describes you?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2011.
  1. I have a VM TiVo and no longer use S1 TiVo

35 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. I have a VM TiVo but also want to keep using my S1 TiVo

30 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. I can't have VM TiVo and want to keep using my S1 TiVo

111 vote(s)
    48.3%
  4. I can't have VM TiVo and am using some other PVR

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. I don't want VM TiVo and want to keep using my S1 TiVo

42 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. I don't want VM TiVo and am using some other PVR

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Feb 7, 2011 #1 of 48
    spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK

Advertisements

Imagine it's the 1st April 2011, which option best describes you?

Rules:
    - assume you've had "the call" and got your shiny new VM TiVo if applicable

- only vote if you currently own a S1 TiVo (we don't want to skew the results by people who haven't had a S1 in years)

- "can't have" means VM cannot supply it to you

- "don't want" means you don't want VM television (e.g. cost) (if "can't have" also applies then choose "can't have")

2. Feb 7, 2011 #2 of 48
    RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Voted albeit my installation wont be for another 8 days roll on the 15th, and I will be wanting to keep both of my 500GB S1 lifetimes going

3. Feb 7, 2011 #3 of 48
    alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    Ditto, install on 18th, but will be relocating old S1 and old Virgin box to 2nd room.

4. Feb 7, 2011 #4 of 48
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Technically, I haven't had a S1 Tivo for at least six months.

5. Feb 7, 2011 #5 of 48
    spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK

Advertisements

Technically, that would be 0.5 years then.

6. Feb 7, 2011 #6 of 48
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes, and? :confused:

7. Feb 7, 2011 #7 of 48
    abuelbanat

abuelbanat TiVo 'til I die.

Jan 8, 2011
    Greenock
    ;)

8. achookang

achookang New Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Basildon
    I can't get VM and I have already switched to Freesat. The Virgin announcement was the spur to do what I had been sort of planning for a while. I keep my Tivo box connected just to finish off watching the things that were recorded but that I hadn't yet got around to. After that it will be "boxed" as they say in BSG

9. digital_S

digital_S New Member

May 15, 2002
    Kent/Scotlan...
    "I can't have VM TiVo and want to keep using my S1 TiVo"
    (Obviously as soon as we can sort out a new epg download system)

10. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    "I don't want VM TiVo and want to keep using my S1 TiVo"

VM too expensive. Now with a recent purchase of a FV HD PVR, good but not TiVo, various other satellite receivers and recorders, I'll stick with what I have got for now. Used to manual programming one, but hopefully won't have to the other.

11. keithwr

keithwr New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I have Sky+, a VM HD+ due to be replaced by a VMTivo on 22nd feb and 2 hacked (Tivoweb+) networked and disc expanded Tivo S1s. One Tivo is connected to a fressat tuner and the other to a freeview tuner. I want to coninue using my S1s essentially as at present.

Keith

12. swuk

swuk New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    SWUK
    "I don't want VM TiVo and want to keep using my S1 TiVo"

Virgin keep pushing up their prices enough already. I'm not glued to my TV, I don't need dual/triple tuners, and having already paid a lifetime subscription, I don't want to be shelling out to upgrade to something that I don't need.

I won't go with a VM Tivo full stop. If I can't make my S1 work by other means, then I'll simply be sticking with my freeview PVR, despite the not-so-good user experience.

13. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    The last main, overall price increases were two years ago; and the rises this time are very small; so, sorry but I don't agree.

14. sculptor

sculptor sculptor

Jan 7, 2003
    London
    No cable in my area (of Central London).
    It seems crazy that the cable network never gets expanded in highly populated areas!

I've had a lifetime sub since 2002 and use the Tivo with an original Sky digibox.
    The drive failed a couple of years ago so I bought a new preconfigured drive cachecard and ram from tivoland and fitted those.
    I never got round to setting up the networking so the ethernet cable is just hanging out the back of the tivo.

My preferred option is set up the networking and feed guide data to the tivo somehow.

15. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A quick Google showed a round of price rises last April, and another one planned this April. Looks like a pretty steady ratcheting up.

Of course the very cheapest are held so their "From £x" claims are still true.

16. MikeC34

MikeC34 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    :mad:
    I too live in a non-cabled area but probably wouldn't subscribe to VM despite being able to continue with TiVo software. Also lifetime sub since Nov 2000 and new capacity drive with cachecard in 2006 and also have my ethernet cable hanging out the back. So far, having only just had the TiVo message about the shutoff, haven't had much time to think, let alone play with alternatives. Will post details of any achievements should they occur.

17. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have four TiVos, and no cable in my area.

my father also has two TiVos and no cable in his area.

It would seem to me, if you had other options in your area, you probably sold you TiVo long ago!

18. welshpedro

welshpedro New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Wales
    I have one lifetime S1 (since 2006 ish, Turbonet, 240Gig etc), 1 Monthly S1 (Turbonet, 240Gig -since 2001, cancelled sub 1 month before it became "free".. DOH !! ), 1 Spare S1 (Bog Standard).

Dont live in Cable area.. unlikely I would get if I did... Experience of being a VM customer in the past still too fresh in the memory..

If some of the clever chaps here come up with a way of getting data (willing to contribute), I'll keep my S1 running... If not its likely to be SKY HD...

19. dmd

dmd Apprentice hacker

Dec 31, 2001
    In the...
    I am a VM customer who signed up for a Broadband only service at a house I rent to shared tenants. I had this installed in 2008 at a cost of £9/month. It now costs me £20.75/month. Same service.That is not a small rise.

20. irrelevant

irrelevant Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Salford, UK
    No cable here. "Too expensive" for them to add it. An entire inner-city housing estate, some old, lots of new build, full of potential customers, but no...

Paid a tenner a month since 2002, only stopped in October as both my boxes were giving problems, and basically not being used, and I was going to look into getting them fixed. Obviously if I'd known they weren't going to charge us from November, I'd not have bothered stopping.