How loud is your TiVo Premier?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by FlyboyZR1, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1 of 20
    FlyboyZR1

FlyboyZR1 New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I recently upgraded from the original Tivo to the Tivo Premier. After setting it up, I was quite surprised with the amount of noise the Premier unit makes. It sounds similar to a computer hard-drive that is always running ... and I can hear it from a good 10 feet away! Click, click, click, click.

So, I exchanged that Premier unit for another, thinking that the hard-drive had an issue which caused the noise. Low and behold, my second Premier makes the same exact noise, which makes me believe it is normal. Guess I'll have to get used to it.

Are these things supposed to make noise?

2. Feb 9, 2012 #2 of 20
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    haven't heard a peep out of mine.

3. Feb 9, 2012 #3 of 20
    MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I have never noticed any HDD noise from my TiVo with the original or the upgraded drive. Maybe you have a quieter house than I do, but even when I have been right next to it fiddling with something on media stand all I ever hear is a very quiet fan.

This isn't to say others don't have the same experience as you, but I definitely don't notice my HDD. BTW, the HDD is always running on the TiVo. Nothing you watch is truly live as you are watching it via the HDD. So that part is normal. The noise? I'll let others pipe in.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #4 of 20
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The TiVo S2 was the loudest TiVo I ever owned. The fan and HDD were extremely loud. With the Premiere, I do not notice hardly any noise, only a slight fan noise.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #5 of 20
    vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    whisper quiet with my WD AV-GP drives in them

6. Feb 9, 2012 #6 of 20
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I have a TivoHD and a Premiere in my bedroom. The TivoHD is whisper quiet compared to the Premiere.
    I can hear the whine of the drive motor in the Premiere, but I don't notice the clicks of the drive heads as they're accessing data.
    I can also hear the fan on the Premiere, but not on the TivoHD.

7. Feb 9, 2012 #7 of 20
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Whether AV drives or regular I can still hear any hard drive in a quiet room from 15 to 20 feet away. As well as the fan in any TiVo. Fortunately it's doesn't usually bother me too much when trying to sleep. And of course if I'm watching/listening to content it isn't an issue.

8. Feb 9, 2012 #8 of 20
    Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    My HD over two drives had a noticeable hum. Now that I'm moving it, I'm gonna crack the case and make sure everything is tightened down (boards power supply etc).

My week old Premiere Elite is whisper quiet!:up::)

9. Feb 9, 2012 #9 of 20
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i have a brand new premiere and a new elite and I can't hear either in real world use. If i get up close i can hear the fan but no hard drive seeking. (I'm familiar with seeking noise as the external drive on one of my S3's was very 'vocal')

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    FWIW, my Premiere is a refurb that I got from woot.com.

12. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Mine is quite loud when it first starts booting, but goes quiet soon after. I can hear it sometimes if I listen for it, but usually the fridge in the next room or the A/C air handler in the attic is making more noise.

13. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    my 2 premieres are whisper quiet. Not one sound even in a dead silent room with everything turned off. no hard drive noises and no no fan noise either.

14. audioscience

audioscience OG Lurker

Feb 10, 2005
    New England
    I do not hear anything from my Premiere. It's also one of the Woot.com boxes.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I think the fan runs at full speed on boot up which is why you can hear it. I'm surprised some people's Premiere's seem loud. It is definitely the quietest TiVo that I have used (S2, S2 DT, TiVo HD, etc).

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Part if it can be the hearing capability of people. I know several people that can't hear a TiVo when right next to it in a quiet room, but I can easily hear them from 15 feet away. Just like I can hear people whispering from a distance when other people around me can't hear them.

Or with a telephone some people have the volume up so loud I can hear the entire conversation, but I always have it on the lowest volume setting which is still too loud for me.

17. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    For a while I was upgrading Premieres and then selling them. I tested them for a few days after upgrading (to make sure everything was fine) and noticed some were much louder than others. I also noticed on some units the case vibrated which I could pretty much prevent by running painters tape inside the top cover where it meets the chassis in the front and rear. This vibrating produced a rather high pitch noise.

Digging around some more I noticed there were at least two different fans being used in the Premieres. I posted the model numbers and such a while back in a noise thread. Their blade pitch/size was different and one was clearly louder than the other. I swapped fans and the noise traits followed the fans.

For me the quietest Premiere I can just hear from my sitting position when it's totally silent (I spend tons of time in the room without anything on) and it gets lost in the background. The louder ones drove me crazy as it would often draw my attention.

Link to the fans' details...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8791355#post8791355

18. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I also have WD AV-GP 2TB drives in my TiVo's. Both are whisper quiet. The TiVo HD is in my bedroom. The Premiere is in my living room and the only time it makes any noise is if it reboots where the fan screams its ass off for a few minutes then it quiets down silent.

19. drknapp

drknapp Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I also recently had a brand new one with a noisy fan. Of course it was the one I installed in my master bedroom. I replaced the fan per info found on this site and am now a happy sleeper. :)

20. aaroncgi

aaroncgi New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Ditto for me. Our Premiere is somewhat loud to me, has been from day one. Sure, it's a lot louder the first couple minutes of bootup, but in normal use is still easily audible from anywhere in our room, up to 20 feet away. The noise was exacerbated when we switched from carpet to laminate flooring in the whole room, as you might expect. I'm pretty sure my wife isn't aware of hearing it at all, though. :) The Tivo is louder than either of our computers, though admittedly, I built both of them to be as quiet as possible within reasonable cost. But on the other hand, my computer has five active fans (all slow) and two hard plain jane hard drives - nothing special in terms of noise rating. My wife's computer has three fans and one hard drive.

But all that said, once you're actually watching a show it's not an issue at all. And the Tivo noise is still swamped when our electric furnace, refrigerator, or dishwasher are on. But the drone is mildly annoying when I'm surfing the web at night and everything else is off.