How loud is Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by fatboy15226, Aug 27, 2007.

1. fatboy15226

fatboy15226 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Couldn't find an answer for this, so here goes:

How loud is the Tivo HD. I currently have a Humax DRT800 (DVD Tivo) in the bedroom and it is so loud it keeps us up sometimes.

I am thinking of replacing it with a THD and wondering if it will be more quiet.

Thanks,
    dsd

2. MokeUSA

MokeUSA XBL: MokeUSA

Aug 17, 2007
    McGuire AFB, NJ
    I can't compare it to the Humax, but it is quieter than my old Series 2. I sit ~10ft from the TV and can't hear it at all when everything is off. The fan is extremely quiet and the hard drive makes an almost inaudible working sound. I wouldn't imagine that you'd have any problem in a bedroom setting, but I'm a heavy sleeper so nothing really wakes me up.

3. jasonh4451

jasonh4451 New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    I don't have a Humax to compare it to either but compared to my old Series 2 it is very quiet, nearly silent. With my ear a foot or two away from it and the room completely quiet I can hear the slightest hum or whoosh of its fan. Its way quieter than any desktop computer and quieter than any laptop I've used.

With that said, I believe that hardrives become louder over time as they age. My Series 2 was quiet when I got it years ago and quite noticable when I disconnected it two weeks ago.

4. Status

Status New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    My new TivoHD is as loud as my old Series2 with an after market quiet fan. As far as HD access, I don't know. I have all my components inside the fireplace.

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You need to post a picture of that one here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=321824

6. vincentfox

vincentfox New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    The HD unit I had for a few days, seemed a little quieter than my Series 2 unit.

They are actually pretty quiet, I slept with an S2 about 6 feet from my head in the bedroom for a year. There is an initial noisy time during boot, but once it's done with that it quiets down.