How long will you hold on to your 10-250?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Zor, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Zor

Zor New Member

Jan 5, 2004

Advertisements

I'm just curious how long people are planning on holding out on "upgrading" their 10-250s. For me right now the only thing I'm missing out on is the local HDs which isn't a big deal, but if the upcoming HD programming requires a new box I'm going to be very sad to lose the Tivo interface. I might just wait until they die or they force me to switch.

2. mbobak

mbobak New Member

May 23, 2004
    Belleville, MI
    My attitude is "As long as it works, and I'm not missing out on large chunks of content, I'm happy." I assume that at some point, it will either fail, or no longer be able to tune significant content, (as MPEG4 begins to prevail), and that's when it will be time to move on. I've got about a year left on my commitment to DirecTV. When that's up, I'm considering a jump to Comcast...but that's down the road.

-Mark

3. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    Until DTV no longer sends the programming :)

I'm installing 2 HR20's in 2 weeks, but am keeping my existing 2 HR10's until they are paperweights. Then I'll toss.

4. obastard

obastard New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    I don't have a 10-250, I have the one circa 2001.

The minute DirecTV drops Tivo, I'll drop them. The only reason I even watch TV is because of TiVo.

In fact, if I upgrade to a flatscreen TV, I'll drop DirecTV at the same time, because their current HD-DVR sucks from what I've seen on their website.

5. 5 ACES

5 ACES New Member

May 23, 2004
    Aguilar,...

Advertisements

Same here. I've learned with anything that you buy that's electronic, it's only the current "Fad" until something else comes out that's either better, or the product you just spent a fortune on is replaced with it's "Ultra, new improved, updated cousin! I went nuts to get the HR-10 and ended up getting it for under $20 when some people paid in excess of $1000 for the same thing. Now, the hardware and software are different on these newer units and they can handle the new MPEG4. As long as my HR-10 works I can wait for another sweet deal from DirecTV and try to get this newer receiver for $20 again. Because as soon as I get it, there will definitely be posts on these forums on some new receiver that will be coming out and the receiver that just arrived at my door will now be the old, outdated one that people will be selling for $50 on e-bay! :) Thank God that technology doesn't stand still, but I for one still look at my HR-10 and say to myself "I sure am glad that I didn't spend $1000 on that thing", because I spend enough on programming from DirecTV....

6. Zor

Zor New Member

Jan 5, 2004
    If cable was a good option then I'd consider it (go go Series 3). But I'm definitely locked into DTV as long as they have the Sunday ticket. My brother has the HR20 and every time I use it I want to throw the remote through the tv.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I may have to, at some point in time, "upgrade" to the HR20, but that doesn't mean I'll give up the HR10. As I've mentioned in any number of other threads, the HR10 will continue to work just fine for SD and OTA HD.

8. boltjames

boltjames New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    The HR20 is not the devil. It's a good DVR. I thought that giving up my HR10 was going to be the end of me and it wasn't.

BJ

9. jeepgod

jeepgod New Member

May 1, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    You may want to consider selling your HR10(s) now while they still hold some value. Prices for used HR10s on eBay have dropped considerably over the last few months.

Can't hurt to call D* now and see what kind of deal they'll give you on the HR20. If it's decent, I'd suggest taking it and selling the HR10 while you still can.

10. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    My HR10 is still much more reliable at recording programs than my HR20. When the HR20 can get as reliable as the HR10 then I will consider retiring my HR10.

11. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    When the HR10 can no longer receive HD signals from DIRECTV, I'll retire my HDVR2s and use my HR10s as SD receivers.

12. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It will always receive HD signals. OTA is the best HD and it's free.

13. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    In my head I was referring to the DIRECTV HD signals. :p

See, here's proof from another post of mine tonight:

Nevertheless, I'll fix my earlier post here to avoid confusion. :)

14. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Not to be a pessimist (maybe a realist) but I think there may be a good chance that after the Tivo agreement expires with DTV in 2010 that DTV may deauthorize all HR10s, meaning that they would not get OTA either. Maybe not under Liberty/Malone.

Of course there is also the chance that a HR10 deauthorized by DTV could be reauthorized by Tivo.

My intent is to keep all 3 of mine going until there is content I want in M4, which could be a year from now or more. At that point I might grudgingly allow one to be replaced with whatever the best POS DTV has going at the time might be (gulp!) :eek: . But I'll replace HDDs and power supplies in them until then, or until repair becomes impractical.

I am also hoping that Cox allows S3's or maybe even DTV reups with Tivo for a M4 DTivo (a lot could happen in a year or two).

It also wouldn't be a bad thing if Apple bought Tivo and allowed the software to run under OSX, which might mean a home-grown Mac DVR platform could emerge. I'd buy into that.

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    That would just plain SUCK and at the same time not surprise me.

16. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I'll probably replace my HR10 and DirecTV with a TiVo S3 and WOW cable by the first week of September. I was going wait until the end of the year when my commitment is up, but I don't want to split football or the new fall season across DVRs.

17. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    Well I use the hr10-250 in my bedroom, and as much as I flip back and forth between tuners, the tivo aint going away any time soon. ONLY, and I mean ONLY if the tivo costs me some HD channels in MPG 4 that I want would be the only reason Id switch out the tivo from the bedroom. Lack of dual live buffers just KILLS me at night when I like to switch back nd forth between CNN and ESPN, then I can just zoom through the commercials. Cant do that with the hr20.

After getting used to the tivo ability to switch between 2 tuners, not sure how anyone could go back to 1 tuner. It would be comparable to having a color TV for 6 months and than it being taken away and replaced by a black and white.

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    more tuners and storage = more fun and options! I agree. I'll pay the 5/month for the hr20 (or maybe wait for the 21 lol) as long as i get it close to free in the next year or so. until i have more than 2 programs needing to be recorded for the new HD, my solution will be perfect for years go come.

Also note that a lot of these new stations coming online repeat stuff regularly. So we can keep our OTA on hdtivo and run the new mpeg4 stuff on HR20 and things will just be fine.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    I really doubt that. Ultimate TV DVRs are still working just fine many years after the last one was sold.

20. holyroman

holyroman New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    mine never had a good enough tuner to recieve half the OTA channels my TV would recieve.
    so the ability to use Tivo with my locals never worked for me