How Long will the Directv Tivo boxes last?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by EricD14, Jan 18, 2006.

1. EricD14

EricD14 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    We are switching to Directv in our house, which was fine with me a few months ago as I am a huge tivo fan and wanted HD on my dvr. when I found out they stopped using tivo as a dvr, I was very upset. I have had TiVo for over 4 years and after using regular DVRs at friends, I could never be without it. I called today and asked if I were to purchase a Directv hd tivo box from ebay or online, could I use that when they installed our new service. They said yes...I then asked how long the TiVo boxes would be supported for and the man from Directv told me they will not discontinue the use of Directv Tivo boxes. Is this true. Should I spend the money on ebay for the Directv HD TiVo or just let it go and live with Directv's dvr?

2. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Your problem will be that the Directv HD Tivos will not support the new MPEG4 encoded HD local channels. It will work with the MPEG2 and off-air HD signals. If the new local HD channels are not a priority for you, you can get a great deal on the HD Tivo.

It is rumored that DTV will upgrade you for cheap when everything goes MPEG4 but personally, I am not holding my breath.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's been a few years since the Ultimate TV DVRs were discontinued, but DirecTV still supports them with guide data updates. It's quite likely that the DirecTV/Tivo DVRs will be supported for at least several years, so don't worry. And there are still retailers that stock the Tivo-based DirecTV DVRs. Check some of the advertisers here, like Value Electronics, Solid Signal and Weaknees.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  5. EricD14

EricD14 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Can someone please explain this a bit more for me...I don't understand all of this :confused:

6. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    DirecTV is converting their HD signals from the current "compression" technology MPEG-2 to a newer one MPEG-4. The HR10-250 TiVos can only understand items in the MPEG-2 format. Thus when the conversion is complete (in a few years), you won't be able to get any HD content from DirecTV (you will still be able to get it via your antenna).

Also all the NEW HD content in the form of the true LOCALS in HD will be via the MPEG-4. The current theory is that any new HD channels from DirecTV will also be in HD.

So in a nutshell. In about 2 years or so (based on recent reports that DirecTV is going to try to convert the HD much faster then original expected), your HR10-250 will only be able to Access HD stations that you can recieve via an antenna.

(Note: You still will be able to access all the OTHER DirecTV networks, just not the HD ones)

7. EricD14

EricD14 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    So basically I should just go with the Directv's DVR...I have a HDTV which I got in June and use tivo to recored everything cause I'm never home, basically I've never watched a full program in High Def. It seems a waste to not use my HDTV. I LOVE TiVo but I want a High Definition DVR so bad...what do you suggest...

8. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Truth be told, the off-air signals, aka OTA, are better quality that DTV is currently providing.
    Not sure that really helps your decision. Just wanted you to know.

9. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Well.... It is a delema right now.

We don't have an official statement on what the "upgrade" costs will be, and who get's what... ect...

The "new" DirecTV DVR for HD (HR20) is not expected to mid year 2006.

But you are also starting to get to the end of the TV Seasons this year, so a lot of the original programming is running short.

But you have the Olympics in HD...

What city are you in? That will help.

In general... If you can get it from DirecTV and get it for the $399 price, and then some rebates, then you are not going to be that bad off and it would be worth it.

But if you can wait another 6 months, the "picture" should be much clearer.

10. EricD14

EricD14 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Well I live in Connecticut and the Directv HD DVR is available here. What would you do. Would you go with Directv's DVR or buy the Directv Tivo. Also if you went with Directv would you wait six months to buy it. What I could do is, when we get direct tv, just get the regular dvr...when the new one comes out I can convert to their new HD DVR (the R20).

11. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    You are asking the wrong guy for that one... I am an electronic junkie... I got the HR10-250 when it was $1,000 :D

And I usually get the latest and gratest the day it is available....

Probably in your situation... Go with a regular DVR first (so you can get used to the DVR aspect of things, and it is free right now)... And let the HD picture clarrify a bit.

12. Boxerbluedog

Boxerbluedog New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    I do not want to give up my HDTivo for the new Mpeg4 unless there is a big picture improvement. Anybody know if Mpeg4 improves the quality of the broadcast

13. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I have MPEG-4 H20...
    It is hard to compare at this point... as there is not a 100% comparison.

MPEG-4 WMAQ compared to OTA WMAQ-DT are nearly identical
    same for the WFLD (fox), or WLS (ABC)

Comparing it to the MPEG-2 feeds from NY...
    The MPEG-4 and OTA look better... to me.. they are a little more crisp and bright.
    Audio is the same. We are not talking like B&W vs Color here... but they are better.

But then you are comparing network A to network B broadcast, and network B have it slightly "tweaked" a different way.

14. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    In theory the MPEG4 signals should be sharper and have less compression artifacts. It would require someone to have both boxes and be able to subscribe to the national HD feeds, MPEG2, as well as the same local MPEG4 feed.

I do not have either. I am strictly OTA at this point. After DTV makes some official announcement, then maybe. Right now we decide what we want to see in HD, then Tivo any conflicting shows. Needless to say, there is a HUGE difference in SD DTV video quality and OTA.

15. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    "In theory" being the key phrase. If given appropriate bandwidth, it would even be true. But I'll bet that DirecTV uses MPEG-4 to deliver the same mediocre PQ that they deliver in MPEG-2, just in about 1/2 to 1/3 the bandwidth.

16. Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    Eric, Some important things:

DirecTVs only current HD-DVR is the HDTivo. So if you want to record HD with them, it's your only option until supposedly mid-year when they come out with a non-Tivo HD DVR.

In Connecticut, you will not get network HD channels from DirecTV, (except NBC). You need an antenna to get the major networks in HD. If you subscribe to their HD package, you will get HDNET, HDNET Movies, Discovery HD, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, Universal HD (Is it called something else now?) Am I missing one guys?

If you subscribe to HBO, you will get HBO-HD, and if you get Showtime, you will get Showtime HD.

One big issue for you is how well your antenna reception is. For most people in CT, it can be a very hit or miss situation. You need to be willing to work on it based on your location. If you are willing to wait until maybe mid-year, then their new HD-DVR might be here, and CT might get HD locals delivered over the satellite, and the new HD-DVR will be able to receive them, but the HDTivo will not. DirecTV has said that they will deliver HD locals to 36 TV markets by mid-year. Hartford is #28. That does not guarantee however that we will be in the first 36. We were definitely not in the first 36 markets for regular locals to be delivered years ago.

If you want to record HD now, are willing to work with an antenna, and can get what you think is a good deal on the HDTivo, then I say go for it. If not, wait for HD, or give one call to the cable company (ughhh).

17. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    You can enter your address into the form at antennaweb.org to see what might be available in your area OTA. I say might because I receive more than what is listed for my address. I am on top of a pretty big hill.

18. EricD14

EricD14 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    thanks for the info. I'm thinking I might wait for a while...maybe fore the tivo series 3... An Antena probebly would suck at my house in the boonies of ct :) Anyway I'll try to live without recording in HD for a while and see what directv puts out in mid year. if it stinks or we don't get the local HD channels...I'll stick with my digital Cable and HD Box and wait for the Series 3 tivo. It looks like its going to be pretty cool...and expensive....

19. BeanCounter1

BeanCounter1 New Member

Jan 3, 2005

Isn't this a moot point with Directv going to all leased equipment? Seems like you'd just lease a new MPEG-4 receiver when it's available instead of buying one.

20. SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Stamford, CT

Earl, did I read your post right? ;)