How long to wait before Calling Retention again?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by xtc, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 27
    xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    How long are you supposed do you wait between calls to Retention to try to get a better deal? (specifically upgrading from HR10-250 to HR20) ?

1 day? more?

2. Sep 7, 2007 #2 of 27
    ebockelman

ebockelman PR#6

Jul 12, 2001
    Orlando,...
    What have they offered you, and when was the last time you took them up on a deal?

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 27
    milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
  4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 27
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I upgraded one of my HR10's and the dish a month ago. Last night I called back about doing the other two HR10's. They were willing to do both for $200 with $120 in credits. So $40 each installed. Seemed reasonable to me. Especially since one of my Hr10's appears to be on its last few days...

5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 27
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You are supposed to wait until you have a "real" reason to ask for something.!!!! Your example is a good one, but too many others seem to think it is a "right" to get something. :confused:

6. Sep 7, 2007 #6 of 27
    xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    They said that I can get the HR20 for Free + NO NEW COMMITMENT, but they would have to take the HR10-250 away from me. They said I would now Own the new HR20, not Lease it. They said there is no way they would let me keep the HR10-250 plus get the HR20 for Free - If I were to keep the HR10-250, the only way to get the HR20 would be to pay $299 for it. So I said that I'm not interested.

I don't understand why they said I cannot keep the HR10-250 if I get the HR20 for Free. I bought the HR10-250 for lots of money and the whole thing is filled up with recordings I still have to watch. If they think I will give up my HD DirecTiVo they are insane. They will never see it and they should have no reason to even want it since it is almost obsolete in their eyes since it won't get the new HD programming. I hope this was an isolated retention guy, otherwise I will be really pissed. He said I don't qualify to keep my HR10-250, yet I qualify to trade it in and get the HR20 for Free? what kind of Bull***** is that???? :mad:

So it's ok to call retention the next day?

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 27
    ghostdog

ghostdog New Member

Oct 14, 2002

Ridiculous! Call back, when they ask what you want say'cancel'.
    Gets you right to retention. DTV does not want your TIVO!.
    Enjoy both!

8. Sep 8, 2007 #8 of 27
    redram38

redram38 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    TN
    They told me the same thing, however the tech said he did not need to take it with him, that I could do what I wanted with it. I re-activated it a couple of hrs later. I then called back about 2 mths later to see what kind of deal I could get on a second one. The first rep would not budge off the 299 price. i asked to speak to a supervisor. I told him I have been with DTV for almost 11 years and i know they can do better than 299.00. he stated that I got one for free about 2 mths ago and that he saw i also had the HR10 still activated. After several hold on a sec and let me see what I can do, he gave me the 2nd one for 99.00 plus shipping. I took that deal gladly. I now have gotten 2 HR20's and 1 HR10 and have paid a total of 99.00 plus 2 shipping fees of 21.00 each. Not bad I guess. renting a comcast box for 7.95 a month for a couple of years take care of that, plus Comcast jsut told me they are starting to charge a box fee of 7.95, DVR fee of 7.95 and get this a location fee of 7.95 all per box. I had 3 boxes so I would be out almost 72 bucks before I bought one channel of programs. They also are going up on their HD package to 14.95 a mth for all 8 or 9 of their HD channels. I had been with cable for about my entire adult life 49 years old, I returned all my boxes to them and said stuff it. Even if I had to pay 199 for the D* HR20 at least they don't bone you dry on fee after fee after fee. I have 5 DVR's and pay just 5.99 a mth. That with comcast would cost almost 40.00 for just DVR service. Sorry to turn this into a D* vs Comcast. I just wanted to enlighten those that did not feel D* tried much harder to keep a 11 year customer. Comcast could have cared less.

9. Sep 8, 2007 #9 of 27
    RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    I would say about a year. Maybe by then they'll have the HDTivo. :D

10. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    You really enjoy living in that Fantasy land of your's don't you....

11. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    If DIRECTV would give a contract to TiVo, it would be leaked before the ink could dry. At this point TiVo would need to publicize any contract to try to calm users and investors.

We know that the minimum time would be two years from announcement to delviery (Comcast, last time with DIRECTV). But there is not even a whimper.

DIRECTV already has access to TiVo's technology for 3 more years. Why buy the cow if you already own the milk.

Right now it takes TiVo 4 months from when they announce tweaks until they say they can deliver.

DIRECTV is able to deliver upgrades to the HR20 almost weekly because they are not waiting for TiVo. There is another HR20 update available thru the CE program coming down right now.

Chase Carey is the one who led them out from under TiVo and got TiVo to give them the portfolio. DIRECTV just signed Carey as their CEO for 3 more years.

In the past 3 months, TiVo lost 146,000 customers. How many will they lose in the next three weeks?

DIRECTV is growing. Why would they hitch their wagon to TiVo?

RS4, I really do admire how you stand by TiVo. Keep the faith.

- Craig

12. MisterEd

MisterEd Very Large Member

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    still can't get it right. :D

13. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    it helps to be a visionary :p

14. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Mr. Ed,

For the first months these downloads were primarily fixes.

For the past several months they have been focusing on upgrades:
    + DIRECTV on Demand (Video on Demand)
    + Media Share to play PC music and photos
    + Fast Forward Autocorrection
    + One button Guide, One button delete (in addiiton to One Button Record, etc.)
    + Soft buffering (promised for TiVo too)
    + Group Play

And of course getting set up for the new HD satellite.

Take care,

- Craig

15. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Milo/Craig, that is a great line about the cow. :)

I'll address some of your points -

Yes, it took 2 years for the Comcast box to be updated, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will take that long for an HD Mpeg4 DirecTV box. They already have an DTivo HD box, all they have to add is the mpeg4. Then, they can add the vod and/or use the Amazon unbox.

Maybe the cow has some buttermilk and cheese to offer too. ;)

Tivo was focused on the Comcast (and I assume Cox) box. Maybe they have now have freed up some of those guys to work on DTivos. Four months is not a long time to add new features.

The HR20 has been out for a year and still doesn't have basic stuff working (like recording some kid shows), so I'm not surprised that they're throwing the updates out weekly. Think about it - they have this group of folks who are actually paying them to test a box. Why wouldn't they use them by giving them all of this stuff and letting them test it vs. hiring a group of testers. It's quite obvious that DirecTV hasn't had enough testers in the past. :mad: This by the way is a strong indication of the quality of the box - mediocre at best when they put out a box that doesn't even do basic stuff and take a year to get it fixed.

Chase Carey and Tivo folks have also said they are exploring other opportunites - something neither company has even talked about for two years.

Of course Tivo is losing customers - they haven't had a new DTivo box for sometime now and we all know that to get mpeg4, you need the DirecTV house-branded equipment. Tivo's reputation will only grow as more folks from Comcast and Cox start using the box.

Your final question is about why DirecTV would embrace Tivo and of course the question should be why not?
    1. DirecTV still has a couple of million folks with a Tivo. The DirecTV boxes do not enjoy a good reputation, so why would you alienate these users? Why not give them a choice - in-house or Tivo?
    2. Tivo is growing in reputation with cable companies and is perceived by Tivo users at least as having a great product. Again, why not offer these customers an option that includes Tivo?
    3. Is DirecTV growing as fast as it could be if it were offering Tivo products alongside the in-house brand? In fact, the evidence shows that while DirecTV is growing, it isn't as fast as they expected (investors call) and they along with E* are losing more customers than cable to FIOS.

I think DirecTV has a window of opportunity that is getting smaller and smaller. Once Tivo get the SVD working and FIOS lays out more fiber, many more folks will opt to leave DirecTV. The competition does not lock clients in for 2 years and that is a big turnoff for a lot of people. People also don't like paying $300 up front to lease a box. So, that means DirecTV will need an overriding reason to hang onto the customers they are picking up now and a Tivo product would give them one more selling point for keeping the existing customers. Of course, in the next couple of years, IPTV will be the competition.

I believe that DirecTV displays an arrogant attitude:
    - no trial program on an 'iffy' product
    - 2-year commitment
    - announced policy of paying for the lease up front
    - charging $99 to watch NFLST when they are already charging an HD fee
    - not implementing all of the stand alone Tivo features
    - poor customer service.

I am a very long-time customer and would like to stay with DirecTV, but if they don't change, then I will take my business elsewhere. Adding a Tvio product would do a lot for me. It would show me that DirecTV does want to offer me a choice and it would go a long way towards changing their image.

16. MisterEd

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    IT WAS A JOKE!

sort-of

just getting tired of reading the same proselytism over and over and over ...... everyone knows! :eek: (besides there are still plenty of fixes going on) .... we've had a zillion calls about the damned stupid screensaver popping up every 15 minutes while watching TV since the last release !!!!!! Their constant updates are KILLING US (as well as some receivers).

17. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    RS4, I really appreciate your thoughtful post. You make many great points. I have nothing to back this up but I think the divorce was due to emotions. In a divorce, logic is often lost.

Mr. Ed, did you post your screen saver problems in the 0x18a or 0x197 Issues threads? There are so few Screen Saver problems being posted now, they really need good detais on anyone still having that problem.

- Craig

18. MisterEd

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    I never said **I** have a screensaver problem. What I did say was we (our callcenter) has had numerous calls regarding this issue. It is also discussed on your other board's software discussion thread somewhere - which was how I found out it was a software issue and not a customer issue. I don't even own one, but we support/provide MANY of them and I use them at work for training. Maybe it was fixed in the most recent update of the day/week/month although we got calls as recently as last Friday.

19. keviesten

keviesten New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    I upgraded one of my HR10's and the dish a month ago. Last night I called back about doing the other two HR10's. They were willing to do both for $200 with $120 in credits. So $40 each installed. Seemed reasonable to me. Especially since one of my Hr10's appears to be on its last few days...

20. xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Well I don't know what my thread has turned into, but getting back to topic, I called Retention 5 days later and I ran into the same situation - they told me that I qualify for a Swap only (Had to give up my HR10-250) I told them again I am not interested in that. And asked him to see what he can do, and I was able to finally get it accomplished where I am keeping my HR10-250 and getting the new HR20 for Free. Proving again, don't give in, be persistent!