How Long is Delay To Permanently Delete?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by teasip, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Jun 6, 2017 #1 of 10
    teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002

Advertisements

I like to not only delete but permanently delete programming. If I try to do it immediately it won't work but after a non-specified time interval one can then delete the program for the device. Anyone know what the delay interval is, and why it can't be deleted immediately?

2. Jun 6, 2017 #2 of 10
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I often permanently delete shows I know I'll never view again to keep shows I might want to retrieve from being flushed out of Recently Deleted too quickly. Usually I have no problem doing that immediately, so apparently TiVo doesn't enforce any kind of purposeful delay, but there may be bugs in the code. When occasionally a show won't permanently delete for some reason, rebooting seems to clear the problem. But I believe (as you say) that waiting also seems to fix it eventually. I think I've also seen instances where a program wouldn't delete properly even the first time (to move it to Recently Deleted).

3. Jun 6, 2017 #3 of 10
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Leave suggestions on, the recently deleted will almost always be empty within minutes
    :)

4. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Thanks for the follow ups. Five minutes seems to be the magic number I've found.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Unless you're deleteing something you don't want your wife or kids to see don't bother permanently deleting. It provides zero benefits.

PCurry57 likes this.
  6. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Unless something has recently changed tivo purges shows from RDF based on oldest recorded not oldest deleted. Accidentally delete an old show another family wanted to watch, or you decide to re-watch, and the show may go poof within minutes (or hours).

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That seems like a rare scenario and hardly worth the effort of waiting 5 minutes so you can permanently delete every show.

8. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I have suggestions turned off, never delete anything opting to allow all recordings to simply age off.

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

9. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't record suggestions. I don't wait 5 minutes to delete every show. Every so often I'll delete all the shows in my RDF. It's not that rare that I'll delete an old show. It kind of defeats the purpose of RDF if a show I just deleted might get purged in an hour leaving a hundred other shows in the folder.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The purpose of RDF was really to just save you from accidental deletions. Back before they added it it was common to get to the end of the show and just automatically click delete on the popup out of muscle memory and then be like "sh*t I forgot my wife wanted to watch that too". Back then when you did that you were SOL and just had to apologize. Back before RDF it also took 3 clicks to delete a show. You had to enter the description, click delete, then answer yes to an "are you sure?" prompt. When they added RDF is when they added the one click delete using the clear button.

If you're using RDF regularly to undelete shows older then 5 minutes then you're doing something wrong.