How long does this phone call take?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by emily, Sep 19, 2006.

1. emily

emily New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Des Moines, IA

Advertisements

I have a series 2 that died about 9 months ago. At that time I unplugged it and put it in a closet. Well, today a brand spankin new hard drive arrived for it. I managed to get it installed in about 20 minutes! It was much easer than I ever could have imagined.

Anyway, TiVo made its initial phone calls...It made the phone call with guided setup and then the next one where it gets programming information. That phone call seemed really long, but eventually got what it needed. Then when I went to the main menu, I was told that I needed TiVo to phone home again because it only had two days worth of programming info. I promptly forced a call and TiVo has been on the phone now for over an hour.

I know there has been a software update since it died...maybe even two. Is this why it's taking so long? Is this normal?

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Depending on your software version, it could be a software service update that it is downloading. In that case, it will take a while.

3. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Software update calls generally take 1-2 hours to complete.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Every time I setup a TiVo for the first time I get this warning message. It is because the initial download only gets a few days of guide data to get you going. The next time it connects it will get the rest of the guide data.

However, this is a very scary warning message that they shouldn't be showing on initial setup.

5. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado

Advertisements

It is a useless message at that.