How long does Roamio take to format a 3tb drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by RichieV, Dec 22, 2018.

1. RichieV

RichieV New Member

Nov 1, 2014

Advertisements

My 2014 Roamio this morning boots to just the splash screen for a couple of seconds then it goes into a green and red/blue on the other side dance. I figured my 3tb wd green went bad so I went to BB and got a wd blue 3tb and swapped it out. Its doing the green/blue/red dance for about 1.5 hours now. I can hear it spinning up and down. Is this normal? How long does it take? Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, maybe five minutes. No dancing either.

3. RichieV

RichieV New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I've taken the drive out and put the original 500gb in and it boots up fine and I ran a WD quick diagontics on the 3tb blue in an external case and it it says its fine. Can I format this 3tb from my PC before I give it a 2nd try in my Roamio? Do I just use fat32?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It may be using too much power to be able to power up from the tiny power supply. One of the reasons that a WD Red is recommended.

compuguy, kpeters59 and skypros like this.
  5. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon

Advertisements

I very recently put in a WD RED into my Roamio Plus..... It did not take very long at all for it to format and start the guided set-up.
    That said.... I bet ThAbtO nailed it...... Did you by chance get a 7200 RPM "WD Blue" hard drive???

You really should take the blue hard drive back...... and Go get a WD RED 5400 rpm Hard Drive!!

compuguy and unclehonkey like this.
  6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It should format it in about 4 minutes. You might hook it back up to your computer and run the WD diagnostics again. This time run the write zeros test (the short version is fine) to wipe out any existing formatting on the drive.

P.S. Is it running the classic interface or Hydra?

7. RichieV

RichieV New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Well I traded the blue in for a Red WD30EFRX and it's doing the same thing. The lights just dance back and forth for what was 25 mins or so with the one difference this time the splash screen stayed up "Tivo starting up". I ran WD diagnostics quick check and it passed. I put it in external firewire case booted it up with my original 500gb drive and it asked me if I wanted to format it and I said yes and then it came back not compatible. I could also see the drive name in my systems information menu when I did boot it up. Any ideas?

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Erase the drive.

ggieseke likes this.
  9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Format it NTFS. Uncheck quick format. Give it a day.

OTA_Drive.JPG

My Roamio.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    NTFS is a Windows format, not Tivo.

11. RichieV

RichieV New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I did a quick erase and another quick check both completed/passed, but this did not solve it.

I'm running Tivo normal interface if that's what you mean (not sure what Hydra is).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    TE3 is v20.7.x while TE4/Hydra is v21.x... version is shown in System Information.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  13. RichieV

RichieV New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    my software version is 20.7.4.rc42-846-6-846

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What do you call what TiVo does?

15. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    TiVo custom.

The boot sector is proprietary. After that there's a heavily modified version of the old Apple Partition Map. Some of the OS partitions use Linux standards like ext2 or squashfs, but the "MFS" file system that holds everything else was written by TiVo and I've never found even a hint that it was based on any earlier code. Over the last two decades a lot of people have spent hundreds if not thousands of man hours trying to decipher it by staring at raw hex dumps looking for patterns, but it's still not fully understood or documented.

Everything from the original MFSTools & WinMFS to later programs like jmfs, DvrBARS, MFSR, & MFSTools 3.2 is still guesswork to some degree.

compuguy, kpeters59 and JoeKustra like this.
  16. RichieV

RichieV New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I figured it out. It was the power supply! Luckily my external hd has a 12v 2a supply and it worked. Thanks for your input.

compuguy and CopRock like this.
  17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I did say that.

18. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    I've had that happen to where I thought it was the drive, Is the power supply made by tivo just crappy? I've had to swap mine out twice since the Roamio came out and the power supply from my cable co. tuning adapter with the same power specs seems way better... The tivo PS still 'works' but guess it doesn't put out enough juice
    [glad these power supplies aren't internal]