How long do you give a recommended TV show before quitting?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

I've been reading wonderful things about Wonderfalls and The Wire, so I decided to check them out through Netflix.

I gave Wonderfalls two episodes before calling it quits. I could tell right after the pilot that this just wasn't a show I could get behind.

After five episodes, I'm ready to say the same about The Wire. It just seems like a much tamer version of The Shield, and it has the distinct air of a show that uses harsh language just because it can, which I don't like.

So how long do you give a recommended TV show before calling it quits?

2. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Depends on a lot of factors. I can usually tell within the first 10 minutes if I'll like a show or not. If I don't know immediately, I'll give it a couple of showings until I can make a good decision.

I think it's important to go through at least two episodes, probably three, to really get a good solid feel for what the show is. A lot of changes could be made from the pilot to the third episode that may make it fit better within your tastes if you're on the fence.

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have trouble giving up on shows because I always think that after I dump it, it will get good and become the hot new show that I'm missing out on so I tend to stay on watching shows a lot longer than I should. I think if a show seems interesting enough for you to check out then give it a minimum of 3 episodes and if by then it isn't what you expected then cut your losses and move on.

4. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I implore you to please, please, please wait until the end of the first season before you give up on The Wire. The last few episodes of the first season are incredibly powerful and will probably inspire you to finish the series. I would argue that The Shield is a much more violent version - and violent because it can be - than The Wire, where The Wire gives you a more realistic (albeit depressing) view of the drug war.

I agree with you on Wonderfalls though. I watched one episode of that show and gave up.

5. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...

Advertisements

I implore both of you to give Wonderfalls another chance.

6. packerfan

packerfan Elk Whisperer

Jan 7, 2002
    Titletown
    2 episodes. If they can't hook you by then, then something is wrong.

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Three episodes. By that time the writers and cast know each other well and should be starting to gel, and that's when I decide to stick with it or dump it.

8. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    1 to 3 episodes. I gave desperate housewives 5 episodes before I ditched. It was getting such rave reviews I had to give it a shot, but I just didn't like it, figure it wasn't for me.

9. wingerzzz

wingerzzz Football is Good

Jul 19, 2005
    Saint...
    Generally depends on the time of the year I am more flexible or not.

What though I do always is give it at least three episodes. Pilots are often rough and uneven in acting, tone and direction. If after the third episode I have no interest or see the direction going away that I might like I call it quits.

The Wire I watched the whole first season because EVERYONE who watched it swears by it but I just could not get into it. On the other hand, I remember watching the pilot of Friends and being totally unimpressed but gave the show another shot and after the second episode became a loyal fan for the duration.

Recommendations on a whole are tough as everyone has different taste and if you know a premise is not for you then it is not going to be for you.

10. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I find it interesting that people here are willing to give up on a series within one or two episodes, but they scream "BURN IN HELL" to a network that pulls the plug after two or three times that number of episodes. Aren't the networks doing what you are describing? It seems hypocritical to condemn them for doing what you do.

11. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    It's fairly easy to decide that ONE person (me) doesn't want to see a specific show. It's another for a network to decide to axe a show when they put the pilot against a popular show, the 2nd ep at a different day/time, and the 3rd after sports.

12. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Many of the shows I don't want to watch, live on for ages......

Many of the show I'm VERY interested in get canceled......

13. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Depends on the show.

If it is a brand new show, it can take a while to get its legs, so I will look for something that might be a high point and that could be the foundation for a good show while the production team gets their legs under them.

Really just depends though. Some shows I might give 6 episodes some 2 or 3, some only get 1 because I clearly don't get them.

Don't feel bad about a show like a Wire. Everyone who watches it claims it is the greatest show ever, and I don't disbelieve them, but I found it nearly impossible to watch. I feel it is the greatest show ever for those who watch it, just not for me. I think I gave it 4 or 5 episodes when it first came out.

I tend to be a diehard though. Once I latch on a show I am there until it is off the air. The only show in recent memory I bailed on after a significant investment was Lost. Which I watched for the first season and a half. Otherwise I just don't stop watching shows once I get past whatever tipping point. I would suspect that is somewhere between 6-9 episodes. If I have watched a show 8 times, it is likely I will continue with it.

14. nlsinger

nlsinger w00tever

Feb 8, 2006
    Eucalyptusla...
    I think my record was 20 minutes for Kill Point. Everything else I've tried I've given at least an episode or two.
    And Wonderfalls was great!

15. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    i agree on the wire...i almost gave up on it while watching the season 1 DVDs, but im hooked after 3 seasons. can't wait for the season 4 dvds to come out. the mutiple storylines and plethora of characters are hard to keep track of, but it pays off and comes together beautifully in the end.

stick with it neener! :)

16. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I was thinking exactly what Church AV Guy was - two or three episodes is BIH territory for networks. :D

For me over the last several years, I tend to watch most shows until the networks cancel them - a handful of episodes. My pattern generally is that I decide whether to watch new shows based on previews/premise and whether I think I'll like it or not and how much room I may have on my DVRs to record them. Threshhold and Drive were two very good examples of that and we are all familiar with the many others.

17. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Dont give up on The Wire. It takes some investment, but it DEFINETLY worth it.

And I never got into Wonderfalls-definetely wasn't for me.

18. TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA
    Fifty-three seconds.

19. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I think I gave Studio 60 two episodes. I should have figured out before then that I wasn't smart enough to get it, though.

20. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't let anyone recommend any shows to me. I apparently have such bizarre taste that everything anyone suggests to me I've either seen or absolutely despise.