how long did the 20.2 service update take for you?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by motech, Jan 18, 2012.

1. motech

motech Member

Jun 9, 2011

Advertisements

how long did it take for you?
    mine started about 10 minutes ago…
    says it could take up to an hour. possibly longer...

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Mine was done and rebooted in the updated OS in less than 30 minutes.

3. motech

motech Member

Jun 9, 2011
    awesome. so excited : )

4. AMike

AMike Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    I received the update via download yesterday. I did a manual reset of my box once the download was completed. The overall installation of 20.2 on my box took about 30 minutes even though the screen stated that it could take an hour, possibly longer.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

Which Premiere do you have? The install time depends on the size of the hard drive. On my regular Premiere, I think it took about 15-20 minutes. On the Elite and XL it will probably take longer.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think the "up to an hour" is just a CYA statement that TiVo puts on that screen.
    I don't think I've EVER had a software update take longer than 30 minutes.

7. ICPGr8Milenko

ICPGr8Milenko New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Still haven't gotten my update. Additionally, I can force connection 50 times, but I never get the pending restart. That piece seems kind of weird to me. I've unplugged and restarted numerous times, but I can't seem to force my upgrade. :-(

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You are wasting your time. You get the update when TiVo wants you to get the update.
    They assign TSN's in blocks to receive the update, and only those TSN's get the update.
    Yours will be assigned soon. Be patient. Watch some TV. :)

9. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    There's really no way to "force an upgrade". Tivo authorizes a certain number of units to receive the update each day. If you're on the list, then the next time your unit "calls home" to Tivo it will get sent. If your box is not scheduled to call home for many hours, you can tell to do it right away, and possibly get the update a few hours earlier. But, if you try it and the update doesn't get sent to you, then repeating the process 50 times will not help at all -- you need to wait until at least the next day.

Once the update does download, the status will change to "Pending restart". Normally, the unit will then automatically reboot itself sometime during the middle of the night. Again, you can speed that process up by a few hours if you reboot the box yourself. But if the status is not "Pending restart", rebooting the box will not help.

10. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    All I can say is the last update took nearly an hour from start to reboot

11. LDLDL

LDLDL Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brookhaven, PA
    Came home, turned on the box... Nothing! Said that the channels I receive can not be located. Trying again!!!! WTF????
    Rebooted, it took all of 20 minutes even though it said up to an hour. This is on the Premier XL. My Premier.... Nothing yet.

12. ICPGr8Milenko

ICPGr8Milenko New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I can understand that. I'm in prod dev with a cell carrier and our firmware upgrades work much the same way, so it makes sense. As far as the pending restart, I was under the impression that it would go into the pending restart as long as you made your manual connections; didn't realize that I needed to have the firmware already queued for that. Thanks for the clarification.