How long are "Recently Deleted" shows kept?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Tymb, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1 of 13
    Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005

Advertisements

Logging into our Tivo account online I can see there's a couple of shows that were recorded on one of our Tivo boxex, but show up with the yellow exclamation mark/circle thing indicating they are to be deleted soon. I guess there's no way to do a "Keep until..." online, so I assume those shows will go into the deleted area soon.

Hardly any other shows are being recorded so there's plenty of space, but I'm just wondering whether Recently Deleted shows are kept indefinitely until space is needed, or whether there's a default duration after which they're nuked for good?

2. Feb 6, 2010 #2 of 13
    Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    The yellow exclamation mark just means they are eligible to be deleted. Tivo won't delete anything until the space is needed. It will start with items in Recently Deleted then Suggestions (if you have the feature turned on) then your oldest recordings. I believe the default setting is to show they are eligible for deletion after 2 days. You don't have anything to worry about until you see your Recently Deleted and/or Suggestions starting to drop in number.

3. Feb 6, 2010 #3 of 13
    cjv2

cjv2 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Recently Deleted shows are kept until the Tivo needs their space to record something, whether that something be a show you told it to record by whatever mechanism or to record a suggestion.

Yellow exclamation mark shows are never deleted to make room for Suggestions. They are only deleted to make room for shows that you told the device to record, and then only if Recently Deleted and Suggestions are both empty. That said, Tivo will just nuke the yellow exclamation mark shows, they won't go "through" the Recently Deleted folder. Recently Deleted is where things you manually delete go. Nothing else.

4. Feb 6, 2010 #4 of 13
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Is this true? I've never heard this before. In my almost 10 years of TiVos, I've never had it delete a show for me, so I wasn't aware of this.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #5 of 13
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

The oldest recording on the NPL is deleted directly if the disk is full and the Recently Deleted / Suggestions folders are empty.

That said, the Recently Deleted folder is not just for user-deleted items. Items deleted as the result of the "Keep at most X episodes" setting are moved to the Recently Deleted folder. If you have a series set to keep five episodes, and already have five episodes on the DVR, then the oldest episode will be moved to Recently Deleted when the next episode starts to record.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #6 of 13
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yeah, that true.

(expanding on bkdtv said:)
    The reason that a show TiVo delete doesn't go into the Recently Deleted is because TiVo will only delete something (ignoring the keep at most setting) when it's forced to in order to record something else you requested.

When finding space it first tries to use space that's totally free.
    If it can't do that it will start nuking things from the recently deleted folder to make room.
    If there still isn't room by the time it's wiped out the recently deleted folder's contents it will start nuking suggestions.
    If there still isn't room after all the suggestions are gone then and only then it will start deleting the oldest expired (yellow ! dot) shows.

So it can't put those into recently deleted because the folder's empty, the drive's still full, and the TiVo still needs space for your new show.
    (If it did put it into recently deleted then it wouldn't have freed any space and still wouldn't be able to record the show you'd requested)

7. Feb 7, 2010 #7 of 13
    cjv2

cjv2 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    D'oh, I didn't know that! :eek:

I guess my Tivo is whacking things in the Recently Deleted folder too fast for me to notice :)

So anyway, in revision, what bkdtv and Jonathan_S said...

8. Feb 8, 2010 #8 of 13
    pilotbob

pilotbob New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Florida
    Yea, if you have suggestion auto-record on, recently deleted clears out pretty quickly. Since TiVo will FILL your drive with suggestions as long as there is room. It considers a suggestion record higher priority than a delete show.

BOb

9. Feb 8, 2010 #9 of 13
    dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yes. I've suggested keeping shows in the recently deleted for a certain period of time (24 hours) before nuking for a suggestion. If I have suggestions on, the recently deleted folder is almost useless.

10. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    That's in direct contradiction to what I've seen other people say here - they say that "keep at most" deletion is immediate and unrecoverable.

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    And some of those other folks have later said that they were wrong.

It is not in general immediate, but if you have Suggestions going, then typically you have nothing in the Deleted Show folder, and thus the deletion will be immediate (the space freed up will be used for the next "keep at most" show that originally caused the deletion.) I see these shows when I have a non-empty Deleted Show folder already.

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    There are a number of misconceptions about TiVo. I try to clarify many of them in the FAQ.

If your disk is full, Recently Deleted is empty, and Suggestions are enabled, then neither manual deletions and "keep at most" deletions will remain in the Recently Deleted folder for long. In many cases, both are deleted within minutes.

To the user, it may appear like "keep at most" deletions are cleared first, but that is only because those programs are typically older. If you have a weekly series program set to keep at most five episodes, then the program deleted by the "keep at most" setting will be at least six weeks old. The Recently Deleted folder is cleared by oldest recording first, regardless of deletion time.

I record a number of daily news programs, with all set to keep 1 or keep 2 episodes. Every day, the new episodes of these programs replace older episodes, and those older episodes are moved to Recently Deleted. Because the Recently Deleted folder is cleared by oldest recording first (regardless of deletion time), these programs tend to stick around in that folder for awhile, since they are only a day or two old at the "keep at most" deletion.

13. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Well, I have suggestions turned on, but every two or three days I go through the list of suggestions and delete shows that are of no interest to me (and, in some cases, give shows a "thumbs down" rating to train the algorithms). This keeps the list of suggestions down to a reasonable length.

Currently my Suggestions folder contains 28 items, while the Recently Deleted folder has 261 (the oldest being from a little over two weeks ago). As you might guess, we have quite a bit of disk capacity - the machine in question is a TiVo HD with the WD 1TB external extender.

Almost all our scheduled recording is done with no "keep at most" limit set; about the only exceptions that I can think of are a couple of news shows. But my wife generally deletes those in the morning as soon as she has watched them, so we hardly ever trigger the "keep at most" limit.