1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How It's Made - all eps, all seasons

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1 of 36
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Discuss your favorite/interesting eps here.

I noticed there's marathon of How It's Made: Remix eps on 1/5/13, starting at 6 am Pacific.

2. Jan 5, 2013 #2 of 36
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I get this series from season 1-9 except for season 6 on Netflix instant watch.

3. Jan 5, 2013 #3 of 36
    Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Holland House Candles. They are one of my favorite customers (I sell them the pigments in their wax, and the clear resin they dip the candles in at the end.) Truly nice people, and an incredible product. They tell me they don't know when their episode is going to air, but when it does, their phone starts ringing and internet order spike something fierce.

4. Jan 6, 2013 #4 of 36
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I've seen those--very cool.

5. Jan 7, 2013 #5 of 36
    vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    They show a lot of cool stuff, but I don't like it when it looks like they are doing the steps in a non-production environment (i.e. you see the parts for a single piece layed out on a big table).

6. Jan 7, 2013 #6 of 36
    sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I kind of consider that akin to when they show slowed-down footage...I don't mind.

7. Jan 7, 2013 #7 of 36
    Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    The candle episode I mentioned is pretty spot on.

8. Jan 8, 2013 #8 of 36
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i just downloaded S 18 and see they now have a female voice over

the stop animation one was very interesting. now i know why it takes years to make lol

9. Jan 9, 2013 #9 of 36
    sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    FYI This is now on Netflix.

10. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I noticed it on Netflix and have started watching it. Seems this has a lot more seasons out there than are available on Netflix though!

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    There's a marathon going on today (Memorial Day) on Science Channel. Unfortunately, I forgot to post about this last night. It's been going on since 6 am.

12. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Allen, TX, USA
    I love this show. It was the first series that I started watching only because it was in HD on my spiffy new DLP HDTV back in 2007 or 2008, and the content kept me watching.

The one thing that's probably the coolest to me is just seeing the ingenuity that some mechanical engineers have to come up with the machines used to make parts and/or assemble the various widgets. The food pieces are interesting because it's cool to see the huge quantities of ingredients and the machines they use to make things in such quantities.

Oh, and the other thing I really love is how they seem to come up with the absolute most random sets of spots for each show. "Tonight, on How It's Made: Shoofly Pie, Astronaut Helmets, and Bellybutton Lint Remover Kits"

Brad

13. shelly40

shelly40 Active Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Yup....

This a terrific show....

Another show of this type is Ultimate Factories.....

They go much more in depth on how an item is manufactured....

Many of the episodes are about auto manufacturers......
    but I have also seen ones about the UPS sort facility, the Coca Cola factory, Jack Daniels, and Caterpillar....

And like someone else mentioned in a previous post....

I just love seeing the machinery that they have to do, just the task they need it to do....

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.... just throwing a similar show out there...

Shelly

14. bruab

bruab Shmegistered Schmoozer TCF Club

Nov 16, 2001
    DC Metro
    Sometimes the items you think will be boring turn out to be really interesting.

Once every 5 shows or so, I see something that really bugs me. Like over the weekend they were showing thermometers and during the final testing the digital reference thermometer was 5 degrees off from the thermometer they were testing. WTF?

Also, in the "toaster pastries" episode they showed the pop-tarts going through a metal detector, but did not comment on it at all. ;)

I also wonder sometimes how they fix jams or misfeeds when things don't go as perfectly as they look on the show.

15. gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I got a kick out of seeing the one on biplanes. Specifically, they were Waco's, made at the factory in Battle Creek. Several members of my airplane club went down there a few years ago for a tour, and it was really pretty cool. They pretty much led us everywhere on the production floor and described what was going on where. What we found pretty striking is that because these are wooden aircraft, the assembly really is very similar to the models that we build and fly. I think they said their normal tour is a half hour or so, I think we were there closer to 3 :). Really great guys, and I appreciate them letting us take a look. But it was definitely kinda funny when I saw them on the program and was like "hey, I was there!"

16. LordXenophon

LordXenophon Lord of the Sofa

Sep 4, 2013
    Arizona
    Are you sure that was a metal detector? I thought it was a heating coil or something.

17. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Montgomery, IL
    It's common to run food items through a metal detector to guarantee that no metal shavings from the machinery get into the product.

18. LordXenophon

LordXenophon Lord of the Sofa

Sep 4, 2013
    Arizona
    You mean such as razor blades and safety pins?

19. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    No, he means metal shavings from the machinery.

20. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    We typically watch these at night and, more often than not, they will put us to sleep. It's not that we aren't interested in the subject matter, but there is something about the show itself that is like a sleeping pill. Even if we aren't extremely tired, one of us will end up waking up with the show at the end of the recording and turning off the TV. Maybe it's the music, maybe it's the tone of the commentary, but we can rarely make it through an entire 30 minute show.

Anyone else have this experience?

And, "If you have a comment or suggestion..." :D What would you like to see them cover? For me, I would like to see how die-cast cars are made.