How is TiVo HD XL different from the TiVo Series3 HD DVR?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by danialpit, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 #1 of 12
    danialpit

danialpit New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK

Advertisements

Both products are designed on the Series3 architecture so the core TiVo functionality is the same. However, the TiVo HD XL DVR offers a much bigger hard drive (1TB) which can record up to 150 hrs in HD.

2. Feb 1, 2011 #2 of 12
  3. Feb 1, 2011 #3 of 12
    Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    The S3 requires 2 Cable Cards for both tuners to function. Either S or M. The THD can run both tuners off 1 M card. That is more cost effectve and offers 1 less point of failure IMHO.

Robb

4. Feb 1, 2011 #4 of 12
    barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    However, with the Series 3 if you want to pay the buck or so extra cost for the cable card, if one card goes out you can still see and record a HD station on one and record a SD station, too.

I have both the Series 3 and the HD XL, but prefer the stability of my Series 3.

Barbeedoll

5. Feb 1, 2011 #5 of 12
    Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL

Advertisements

I see your point regarding failing, but my M card cost $3 a month. I'm not sure what the OP pays for cards but I have seen some people report as high as $12 a month. That can add up quick. I guess that everyone would have to make their own decision based on what they would pay and could afford.

Robb

6. Feb 1, 2011 #6 of 12
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    My cable company is charging me double for the M-Card as if it was 2 S-Cards.

7. Feb 1, 2011 #7 of 12
    vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    The tivo HD is slower than the series 3. File transfer is really slow. Cost is a lot lower. The only plus is the M card capability.

8. Feb 1, 2011 #8 of 12
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, what? No.

Unless I'm misinterpreting that, you're claiming that a Tivo with *one* cable card can still record two programs at once. That is not true. A S3 with one cable card becomes a 'single tuner device'.. Unless there is some weird state where you're referring to the second cable card 'partially' working.

9. Feb 4, 2011 #9 of 12
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I think he meant 1 tuner using the card for encrypted channels and one tuner for the analog in the clear. That would make sense.

10. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Exactly! One S card going out just happened to me a couple of weeks ago, so i'm sure this is how it works.

Got an M card, but needed two with the Series three to get anything to work. So the only insurance plan to keep things working is two S cards.

Barbeedoll

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, but that's still not 2 tuners AT THE SAME TIME. Think of each "tuner" as really a single unit of "digital tuner OR analog tuner", and you have TWO of that thing. With ONE cable card, only ONE of those 'things' can record, regardless of signal source...

at least that's what everyone's said for years and years and years.. I have not personally tried it myself.

12. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbeedoll
    However, with the Series 3 if you want to pay the buck or so extra cost for the cable card, if one card goes out you can still see and record a HD station on one and record a SD station, too.

Barbeedoll

Umm, what? No.

Unless I'm misinterpreting that, you're claiming that a Tivo with *one* cable card can still record two programs at once. That is not true. A S3 with one cable card becomes a 'single tuner device'.. Unless there is some weird state where you're referring to the second cable card 'partially' working.

Mattack posting

Yes, I tested it repeatedly over several days while waiting for Cox to show up. With only one working S Card in a Series 3 I could record one hi-def or high channel number program and one lower channel SD show. I needed to set up the hi-def show first. That defaulted to the working card. The second show (SD) recorded at the same time as well.

Barbeedoll