How is Slingbox 350 Controlling My Tivo Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by plfinch, Feb 12, 2017.

1. plfinch

plfinch New Member

Nov 22, 2015

Advertisements

I had an unused Slingbox 350 from before my Bolt/Mini installs and finally got around to hooking it up to the Mini I use alongside the Bolt for PIP on my main TV. After googling a bit I was dismayed to learn that the Mini does not have an IR receiver so was going to order the USB IR dongle. But then a funny thing happened... Bringing up the Slingbox remote control in the ipad or mac app reveals a virtual remote just like my physical Mini remote and all the buttons seem to work just fine.

This was quite unexpected so how is it working? The mini is connected via component video to the Slingbox 350 and then from it to my TV. I do not have the IR emitter attached to the Slingbox and do not have an IR dongle on the Mini. When setting up the Slingbox I selected my cable company and Tivo Mini as the device.

Is the Slingbox smart enough to control the Tivo Mini over the ssh port or maybe a non-standard http port?

Peter

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I don't know where you got your information, but all Minis have always had IR. The dongle is to add RF to the old Mini. No mystery at all.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What mdavej said. Where'd you read that any Mini doesn't have IR? And what's this "IR dongle" you mention?

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This is a different issue from whether the Mini has IR (it does). The Mini does have the ability to be controlled over the network; however, whether the Slingbox is using network remote commands or is sending IR blasts from a built-in IR eye is an open question. (You could briefly put a box over the Mini to see if it stops responding, as a test for IR.)

Similar to you, I have a Slingbox 350 that I just haven't gotten around to hooking-up; I may have to do so, if only to determine how it controls the Mini.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Or just a bit of reading over on Slingbox.com...

Slingbox.com - Advanced IR emitter or onscreen remote control troubleshooting

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Thanks for posting that. I had no idea the box itself had blasters. That will simplify my setup.

I wish Slingbox could do IP control, but it's unfortunately pretty low tech and pretty sluggish as well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017