How I TIVO Desktop working (MAC)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HKY, Jun 30, 2007.

1. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007

Advertisements

I have a Macbook... I have my Tivo series2 installed correctly, installed the USB, everything is working, I can go online in my account and record shows.

Now I installed Tivo desktop to transfer files (I enabled home entertainment on the TV and enabled it in my account), it installs never asks for my number, I then try to locate where it is it is in my Preferences, I open it and I do not get any choices at all... or be able to transfer

what do I do wrong

2. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I just dont' seem to get to option to transfer file from tivo to my computer.... I did record shows...

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  4. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I'll do so, but frankly I looked all over the place... it should have asked for my number while installing and it didn't ... i'm pretty cranky now as i'm trying it to work now for 6 hours....:(

5. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007

Advertisements

it says tivo desktop on 2 tabs music photo

ii can either stop or start it

where would be the list of my recorded programs on the tivo?

6. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    You'll either have to buy Toast (discounts to its $99 price aren't too difficult to find) or roll your own with TiVo Decode Manager, OR TiVo Disktop's hidden video tab and TiVo Decoder.

Hold down the command key while you're opening TiVo Desktop in preferences to enable the hidden video tab. That will let you transfer .tivo files from your S2. To do anything interesting with them, you'll still need a way to free the files from their .tivo wrapper, which is where the TiVo decoder comes in. The video tab will also allow transfers of MPEG-2 files TO your S2. Please see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=346689

By the way, Quicktime won't play the MPEG-2 files that you free from the .tivo wrapper, even if you buy Apple's MPEG decoder. VLC Player will.

7. Jul 1, 2007 #7 of 30
    HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    thank you so much... :) just didn't read about this hidden tab now do I need to do something on tivo so that it will see my desktop... I'm very sorry about my questions...

8. Jul 1, 2007 #8 of 30
    minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    By "seeing your desktop" you mean list the files that you have in your Mac's TiVo folder on your TiVo, right? (I ask because there's a HME app that displays a live image of your actual desktop on the TiVo.) Your MacBook should appear at the bottom of your Now Playing List, so you can pull properly formatted MPEGs from your Mac to your TiVo.

You shouldn't have to do anything to get it working. If you have problems, try stopping and starting TiVo Desktop and ensure that its installation package set up the OSX firewall correctly (if you use that - under Preferences -> Sharing). If you enable Bonjour in Safari (see the link I provided in my post above) and can see your TiVo in Safari, TiVo Desktop should be all set for transfers to and from the TiVo.

I should have mentioned that Toast is the only fully-legit way to do TiVo-To-Go. I think that TiVo Decoder is of questionable legality.

9. Jul 1, 2007 #9 of 30
    HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I do see my pictures and movies folder on tivo, but when I want to access it can't, also how do you get your recorded shows to your computer, do you need to do something on tivo, or ?

10. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Did you read through posts 3 and 2 (better in that order) at the link I provided above, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=346689? There are step-by-step instructions there. I'd probably just go with TiVo Decode Manager rather than the hidden video tab, Safari, and TiVo Decoder, unless you like doing things yourself.

Are you having problems viewing your photos or streaming your music? If so, we should debug that first and work on transferring videos back-and-forth second.

11. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I did make sure my firewall lets tivo in, also I did the safari thing and it redirected to Tivo saying I was succesfull in connecting my tivo. So far for that, it still won't show up in my tivo (having a problem accessing the network).

Well what I was thinking that I would be able to see my recorded shows here in my tivodesktop ? and the other way around. I'm happy to pay for the toast, that will be the easiest. But it won't solve my problem i think that I'm not able yet to 'see' the recorded shows in my desktop or that tivo can actually see my movies and so fort.

12. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    oh when I did the safari thing it never asked me to put in my user name or my access number ? it just showed the page that I now am successful ? but I already in my account had put in the number, so maybe thats' why.
    eemmm so where do i need to go from now? do you see the recorded shows in your account on the website? or in your desktop?

i restarted everything,,,,, so now i can see my pictures but not my music, i'll look in my itunes maybe there is a setting or something. I have bought movies in my itunes and thought I might be able to view them.

13. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    It sounds like you forgot to change "http" to "https". Did you get only the red Congratulations page (see attachment)? Just edit whatever URL gets you the Congratulations page and add the "s".

14. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    yes i only got the red congrats page

15. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
  16. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    okay i figured the https out... I'm making progress

17. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I type in tivo and password MAC and alos (MAC) but it wont take it

unfortunately I got stuck here :(.... don't know what else I could put in here...

I did download tivodecoder which does show the recorded shows.... dont know yet when I download what it will do :)

I had hoped I could have put in movies from my itunes and that it would show in tivo? or is that just impossible?

18. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    The password is your Media Access Key (MAK), which you can find in the TiVo menus somewhere or online at https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-mma/overview.do Click on Media Access Key in the upper right-hand corner (see image) after logging in. My MAK is 10 digits long.

I think you're really close to getting this working.

19. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    o GRRRMHMPF :( i'm so blond... i'm sorry..... :( that I didn't think of that.... grrrr

i was just about to thank you for your patience, wow this has been a complete new experience for me, never had a tivo before, the hardware set up was just a breeze... but this i didn't know it was so complicated....

we just started living here and my satellite won't take the dvr box, so thats how i ended up having the tivo

thanks again

20. HKY

HKY New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    so this all works out good now, quesss will have the next problem, downloading and be able to see it somewhere....

Just one more question, in my itunes i have numerous of downloaded movies, can you see that on tivo? I'm now downloading videora.... still mystified how it will come on tivo (through pictures ?)