How I Met Your Mother - Weekend at Barney's - OAD 02/25/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by PrincessEspana, Feb 26, 2013.

1. PrincessEspana

PrincessEspana New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Northern CT

Advertisements

How did you feel about this episode?

2. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    Halfway through I stopped watching and deleted the SP.

3. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I actually kind of liked it. Which, based on past week's threads, means that everyone else hated it and thought it was the worst show ever.

I wanted to see the TMNT inspired painting.

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I kind of liked it too. Nothing was fantastic, but there were some parts I liked.

I liked when Ted was in the bar talking to Barney through the earpiece saying "I understand that" and not wanting to say what Barney ultimately wanted him to say - 'my penis'.

The skittles dropping on the floor scene made me smile too.

Jeanette - they can't get rid of that character fast enough for me.

The playbook - really? We've never heard of a backup until the writers wanted an out to bring it back. If Annie Wilkes was watching this she would say "When Barney brought out the playbook, all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE BURNED THE C.OCK-A-DOODIE PLAYBOOK! "

5. PrincessEspana

PrincessEspana New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Northern CT

Advertisements

I wasn't disappointed with the episode - but I wasn't screaming from the rooftops that it was my favorite episode either. I have invested 7 years of my life into this show, so pretty much nothing will ever make me delete my SP.

6. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    If this was the end of the Jeanette character, Im all for this episode.

7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was one of the better episodes of the season. Definitely better than the last couple. Even though I knew that he was going to wind up spilling the skittles at some point during the party, and even though when the guy started talking I knew it was going to be right then, I still laughed. I even figured there was going to be one more little spill at the end. Still funny.

Hopefully that will be the end of the psycho chick. I don't get Ted saying that he was "ready to settle down". I always felt like he was always looking to settle down. I never got the feeling that he was playing the field.

8. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    It was ok. No better or worse than other recent episodes.

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Last week I was thinking how I suffered through twenty-some minutes of it for a brief enjoyable moment with the Lilly scene at the end (where she was talking about what she wanted to do and where she wound up, etc.). That made me realize that for the last several years it's kind of been a 'suffer though it for one brief moment' kind of thing for me.

This week I found myself thinking at the end of the show, "Well, that 'moment' never happened this week."

I don't know WHAT I'm hoping for as regards the ending to this series, but I have invested so much time to this point (the last season or two to my shagrin hoping things would move along to some degree!!!) I'm at least hoping for something good enough for at least the illusion that it was worth it. I'm thinking it will just be a 'meh', what a waste of time ending, though. :(

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I agree with this. The whole premise of the show, from the very beginning, has been that Ted was more ready to settle down than his friends were, and that every girl he dated was potentially "the one" for him (from Ted's point of view, not the viewer's), whereas we never got that feeling with anyone that Barney or Robin dated (other than each other).

Having said that, I still enjoy the show every week and am glad it's still on. I'm also glad the creators now have a definite end date and have put a stake in the ground about when Ted will meet the mother, so they can't drag it out until the end of next season.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The key line was that this time he meant it. He realized that up until then, he was just dicking around.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought it was a very funny episode.

13. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    The actress that plays Jeanette, Abby Elliott, is the daughter of Chris Elliot, the actor that plays Lily's dad. I hope he doesn't have some sort of in with the show that keeps her around.

tk

14. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    While Jeanette is really scary, I think she's kinda funny, and I really like Abby Elliot.

I really didn't like the appearance of the playbook. To me, that invalidates the big sincere speech describing "The Robin."

I agree with the previous comments confused about "now I'm ready to settle down." He was ready to settle down with Robin in the pilot!

15. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I found myself wondering if the writers don't give each other challenges like "okay, I'm going to put in a line about how this is the last bag of Skittles Marshall will ever buy, now you have to make it end up making sense", because really, that would explain a lot of things in this show.

16. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    That would make sense. That's a pretty common improv technique. We had to do that in high school for speech contest. They'd give you a random starting line, a random ending line, and you'd have to make story that got you from point a to point b. It was a blast.

tk

17. refried

refried Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brunswick, ME
    The only thing that made me cringe was the bad explosion visual effects they used for the fireworks in the playbook. But the more I think about it... was that the Death Star explosion just pasted over the playbook?

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't understand why the needed to get rid of the Playbook twice. They did a good job the first time and should have left it alone.

19. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I really expected them to come up with something better than the skittles dropping on the floor at the worst time. Heck, if this had happened to me, I would still buy Skittles, so the entire thing is lost on me.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Marshall is just weird/a worry wart, and would presumably get embarrassed any time he even thinks about Skittles… at least that's the only kind of rationale I can think of.