"How I Met Your Mother" Season 1 SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Graymalkin, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    The TV critic in the New Jersey Star-Ledger had a chat with the creators/producers of "How I Met Your Mother."

It turns out that the big twist at the end of Episode 1 -- where we find out that Robin is not the kids' mother -- isn't looking like such a great idea to the producers anymore, because Ted and Robin are exhibiting such amazing chemistry together.

Now they're trying to spin it as a bittersweet element -- that you don't always get to marry your soulmate. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

By Alan Sepinwall

PASADENA, Calif. -- We like to believe the perfect match is out for us somewhere, and if we don't meet them -- or, even worse, if we meet them and screw it up -- then we blame it on fate or rotten timing or some other outside force.

Ted, the lovelorn hero of CBS' "How I Met Your Mother," can only blame it on himself -- or, rather, the version of himself who exists 25 years after he blew it with his soulmate.

"How I Met Your Mother" is narrated by Future Ted (Bob Saget), who in the year 2030 tells his teenage children the story of his young love life. In the show's premiere episode, present-day Ted (Josh Radnor) fell badly for newscaster Robin (Cobie Smulders), but just as viewers were settling in for the story of their courtship, Future Ted threw a huge monkey wrench into the works by telling his kids, "And that's the story of how I met your Aunt Robin."

Okay... so the twist was a warning shot to make viewers expect the unexpected. But as the season has gone on and "How I Met Your Mother" has established itself as the first real heir to "Friends" -- sweet and silly and likable and genuinely romantic -- the producers have realized the huge problem the twist created for them.

"Mother" has a lot going for it, from the inspired naughtiness of Neil Patrick Harris' Barney to the unexpected toughness of Alyson Hannigan's Lily to the uncontrollable energy and dancing of Jason Segel's Marshall. But given the show's focus on relationships, its greatest strength has been the chemistry between Josh Radnor and Cobie Smulders, which is so potent you could bottle and sell it.

But because Future Ted has already decreed Robin isn't the kids' mom, the show is stuck on a course that can't pair them off romantically for very long, if ever.

When Smulders plays a scene opposite Radnor, "magic happens," Smulders says. "Chemistry flows, fireworks get set off. I can't explain it, but it's kind of meant to be -- and obviously not."

"We love watching Josh and Cobie together," says the series' main director, Pamela Fryman. "It's like, they'll do a scene and we'll get misty and say, 'Can you do that one more time? We want to see it again.'"

"It's heartbreaking" that the two characters are destined to end up apart, says co-creator Carter Bays.

At the same time, there are no plans to quietly do away with Future Ted, or to reveal him to be a pathological liar, or to have Barney claim Ted's biography as his own in the future, or any other means of overturning the "Aunt Robin" proclamation.

"Robin's not the mom," says co-creator Craig Thomas. "We're sticking by those guns."

"I feel like with great art, you have to create constraints for yourself," says Bays. "You look at The White Stripes, they only want to have a guitar and drums, so they have to make all their music around guitar and drums. We have to make all our comedy around what the narrator says."

"They know we're a good combo," says Radnor. "We've even talked about this idea that 'Oh, it is a shame,' but in a way it's kind of the brilliance of the show. Obviously, every girl I've dated, I'm not going to end up with. It doesn't make the relationship any less valid or special. I don't know; they're clever writers, so we'll see what they come up with."

What they've come up with right now is the introduction of Ashley Williams as Ted's new love interest, who appeared for a few seconds at the end of the last new episode. No one wants to say much about Monday's show -- even the CBS Web site features no information except for the title, "Drumroll Please." With a title like that, should we assume Williams is the mom-to-be?

"You never know," says Thomas with a cryptic smile.

The only person willing to spill any details is Smulders, who says, "There is a bit of an arc between Robin and Ted that we're getting into now. She decides that she does have feelings for him, and he isn't returning them, and it's a struggle for them."

While they let Future Ted paint them into this particular corner, Thomas points out Robin's non-motherhood doesn't automatically preclude a Ted/Robin fling.

"We definitely will see them together at some point in the series," he says, "but not necessarily that way (getting married). People in the course of their lives have relationships, and this is going to be the story of what happened between them, why it didn't work."

Bays is talking himself into the idea that the show is more interesting if Ted and Robin don't get to walk down the aisle and into the obstetrics ward. Wishing they could go the distance, he says, "taps into the part of me that thinks, 'Damn, I wish I had asked out that girl five years ago that I'm never going to see again.' It's wistful.

"It stinks, though," he admits, "because they are great together."

2. Rolf

Rolf Revolting Peasant

Oct 11, 2003
    Bay Point, CA
    The date flashed on the screen at the start of the show (when he's talking to the kids) is 2030. That means these kids probably won't be conceived for another eight years (I'm guessing the oldest is ~15 or so).

My prediction is that they'll drop the kids and the narrator after the first season. It's a nice gimmick, but they don't need it. The characters are great together, and if they drop the gimmick, they'll be free to develop the characters in a way not tied to Ted meeting his future spouse.

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Well, they could always bring Robin's twin sister, Roberta -- who, of course, would be played by Cobie Smulders.

That has the added benefit of making Robin their genuine aunt.

:D

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Actually...

Maybe it could follow a real life situation... My own...

My Dad married his highschool love, right out of school... It last a year... but then they broke up.

My dad endup in California, found my my mom... and they had three kids... me being the first. They where married for 25 years, and for the greater portion of it... Very very happy together and where the best parents and example for a marriage.

As the kids got older, they started to find out they had less and less in common... and eventually split up.

Now... my dad is about to re-marry his first wife, nearly 35 years later. She had been fairly happily married twice, but simply didn't work out after time.

My mom and dad are still decent friends, they talk, they are proud of the children they raised, ect........

My mom may not have been my dad's "cosmic" soulmate (and vice-versa)... they fell in love... and then things changed.

Both my parents are very happy with way things have ended up... (they do wish they handled the "split" a little better, but none the less both are very happy... WE as a family are happy...)

Story short...
    If the producers of HIMYM read this... you are free to use my real-life scenerio, so that Robin and Ted COULD eventually end up together....

(Also remember "Mad About You"... they where "soulmates" that split up, only to eventually find each other again)

5. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Earl, that is exactly what they should do IMO. THey have already had him tell his kids about "Robin" using her first name in a kind of leery tone like they knew he loved her. The cleanest solution would be to have him meet someone else and then have the kids and eventually marry Robin.

6. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Yes, but are children generally in the habit of calling their step-mother "Aunt"?

7. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Oh, that is true, they did say Aunt Robin in one of the first few episodes. Well, Jerry Seinfled used to have a studio apartment and plenty of TV characters used to have siblings that just never got mentioned again. ;)

8. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Maybe she will end up with Uncle Barney...

9. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Didn't they skip the kids scene in the most recent new episode? I remember a brief narration by Bob Sagat but I don't remember seeing the kids at the beginning. Perhaps they are slowly trying to remove that piece of the show. Maybe they thought it was a good gimmick to get the network to buy the show but are now thinking it would be nice not to have them.

10. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    Except for that whole "How I Met Your Mother" title thing....:)

11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Maybe they should rename the show "How I Settled For Your Mother". :D

12. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Two points... that is good.

13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    ROFL! Give that man a great big round of applause!

14. LeVich34

LeVich34 Active Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Annandale, VA
    The funny thing is I went to Hebrew School with the author of this article.... wow!

15. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    I didn't get into the discussion after the first few episodes, but did anybody ever explain why the narrator is Bob Saget instead of er, Josh Radnor.

-smak-

16. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    I like that article's reference to Future Ted.

"You know who'll be able to figure this out? Future Ted and Future Marshall. Those guys are awesome."

And I just figured they used Bob Saget's voice so he wouldn't sound 25.

17. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    just to take some things from what earl said and the writer of the article, they can make it work. Just have it where he met his "soulmate" (robin) and it didnt work out (as we see now). Robin introduces him to the "Mother" they get married for 25+ years they have some kids....................and somthing goes wrong? for a show like this it would have to be she dies. That explains why hes tellin this story to his kids...and explains why he wants to marry their "aunt" (robin) now? ...

BUT if he doesn't marry their "aunt" (robin) that means hes a single dad raising some kids in the city, maybe the kids two "uncles" from the fathers past can move in with them to help raise the kids? one could be a funny zainy one and the other a funny babe chaser? i know what we can do, replace the son with a younger cuter daughter and add another one, yea...a baby...that would be a great show...and that explains bob sagat, those execs are always thinking...its the year of prequels and sequels

18. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Amusing as I find this show to be, I think the whole premise is pretty flawed. They have a great cast and the situations are funny but the entire premise keeps getting in the way. I hate to say it but his really needs to just drop that premise and focus on the issues of 5 friends and their adventures in the big city. Thinks Friends - 1. Barney is always funny, Ted and Robin are a great couple and Marsh and Lily are awesome. Ignore the idea and just right disconnected stories and the show will be great.

19. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Test, I could definitely see that working as well.