How I met your mother digital product placement

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scsiguy72, Jun 10, 2011.

1. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    How I met your Mother is in syndication here on a few different stations, and I watch a lot of the past episodes every day. One thing I have noticed that I don’t remember seeing on any other syndicated show is the insertion of digital product placement.
    They often advertise upcoming movies and some CBS shows. On billboards in the background I have seen Green Hornet posters (with opens on January 14th) And other product placement signs that I am sure were digitally added in syndication.

Have other shows done this in the past?

2. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I haven't noticed it on television shows but have in video games. Rainbow Six: Vegas in particular. The outdoor billboards and indoor movie posters would change reflecting upcoming movie releases and such.

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I watch the reruns all the time. I'll have to start paying more attention to the background.

4. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Today on Barney's Computer screen was a large green web page for txtl8r.com

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Weird.

6. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I remembered when this technology was introduced in the news about 5-10 years ago. One poster (from a different forum) commented that he didn't "want to see a Verizon Billboard ad when watching early season reruns of Law and Order".

(Verizon was created in 1997, L&O started in 1990)

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I haven't seen it on the show but I assume it's similar to the tech used to superimpose ads on the glass at hockey games for the TV audience?

[​IMG]

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    And although some have the old tech of rolling banner, the billboard behind home plate at Wrigley Field is just a green screen for the TV camera. You don't see the ads in the park.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think most of the MLB parks now have the green screen ad behind home plate, or at least for national broadcasts they turn it into one.

10. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    The other day I came across this article that explains what they are doing now with reruns and product placement.

If you’ve watched syndicated reruns of sitcom How I Met Your Mother lately, you might have been startled to see advertisements for very current movies such as Bad Teacher and Zookeeper in episodes that originally aired as early as 2006, long before those flicks were made.

Digital Product Placement

11. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 1999
    Atlanta, GA
    I love how the company selling the ads and the company inserting them into syndicated episodes think it looks so natural. I've only seen the 2 still images posted in the linked story, but it looks out of place and distracting to me.

12. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I just grabbed an episode yesterday and found this at about 10:00 in.

Also on the same episode was a Large KFC ad on both sides of a mailbox on the street corner

[​IMG]

13. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Interesting that they're movies featuring cast members.

I haven't seen this yet, but even the screengrabs annoy me.

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think it's mostly for national broadcasts. I haven't seen it much at all on any of the regional sports network broadcasts.

15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Makes sense. If you like the actors, you might be tempted to go see other work that they're in...

16. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    But, within the context of the show, an actor named Jason Segal doesn't exist. Yet there's an ad for his movie.

If he did exist, he'd be the be all and end all of the ongoing doppelganger plot line. :)

17. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Valid point but the writers are not the ones who placed the ad in there. It be a different story if those ads were placed in there as part of the story line. This is why many will not watch the teasers for the next week's show, the writers did not create the teaser, the marketing people did.

18. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    Those things are totally ineffective. They wouldn't work on anyone with an IQ above that of a house plant.

Now is it dinner time yet? I'm really hungry for subway sammich.

19. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Now do you mean a sandwich in the HIMYM sense?

20. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I hope they never do this to movies because many movies take place in a particular time and place and a well done movie does not have anachronisms in it.

At least in a sitcom, I may not even notice this stupid stuff.