How I Met Your Mother 9/26 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    We go from two horrible premiere eps to what felt like classic Season 1 material. There was so, so much to like about this week...and we get another running Barney gag out of it. Incredible episode.

Hopefully this is the show's start towards consistency.

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Definitely my favorite episode in the last few seasons. Hitting on all cylinders tonight.

Right from the very start... Robin: "Lily, what is with your cans!?!?" :D I mean, who says "cans" anymore? Excellent. Just got better from there.

Probably the best line of the episode for me was from Ted (and how often does that happen?): "This just does not seem fair!"

Most especially because Victoria is not going to be a major plotline this season: yay! I think the character was good and the actress is great but that storyline is over and it would have been lame to rehash it.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    It's like you have a butt on your chest.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I was rolling at the whole Klaus/class scene, it was great, reminded me of the Moonlighting dialog about the diplomat with a mole on his nose, nothing like a Dr Seuss approach to dialog.

I also like where Ted kept telling the story to Robin over the other discussion.
    It looks like they have set up the Robin, Ted, Barney dynamic as this seasons big issue, and I think I'm ok with that.
    Robin's short hair? so not liking it one bit.

5. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I thought it would have been funnier if Marshall said Shinjitsu (sp?) to make Barney sneeze and drop the shrimp tail. Barney has done the conditioning so much to Marshall that I am sure he is conditioned himself and would have not been able to stop himself.

6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Victoria, the bang-bang song, Lily saying, "You son of a *****", Barney's video, Marshgammon, and even the song at the end. It's like the writers are watching the old episodes in syndication. Great stuff.

7. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Liked it. Felt like classic HIMYM, with great banter between the friends and some good romantic comedy with Ted. Well done.

8. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    I was actually belly laughing at parts, and wondering wtf, how is this show making me laugh this much now........

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I love coming here to read this stuff. To me, the show has been the same from Day One. Some better jokes than others. Some better episodes than others, but pretty much the same.

10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Loved this episode but are they really going to keep Barney in that tie for a year?

11. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Maybe Barney will propose losing the tie in exchange for more slaps. :D

12. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'm sure they will.

Now, I know I'm overthinking it, but it wasn't fair for Barney to lose the bet over a single shrimp-toss miss. Even the pro hibachi chefs miss from time to time.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Well, if that was the bet, then that was the bet...

...IMO, though, it wasn't up to Lily to unilaterally decide that the bet was back on after she and Barney agreed to the settlement terms...

14. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Barney would not argue because he figured he was going to win.

And it was Lily's cans, after all.

15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm glad to see Barney was only fake drunk because it made his behavior prior to that (like to the chef who he ended up already knowing) more acceptable.

16. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    As to the tie, I believe Barney was wearing the Ducky Tie in the flash-forward last week of Marshall gambling and Barney sitting at the same table. So that event must happen sometime this season.

17. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Ted needs to at least meet the mother this season. It is so time...

18. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    We're all kind of assuming that 'Ted will finally meet the mother' at Barney's wedding, but we still don't know for sure. It may be in fact Robin's wedding where he meets the mother, Ted already agreed to be Robin's best man if she ever gets married to anyone but him..

As to the change up to the group dynamic that "future Ted" hints about. I hope Robin doesn't confront Barney about her feelings and just bails if he doesn't feel the same way about her. I have an idea that Robin's job at World Wide News is about to offer her an assignment that will make her relocate for a few months/years, or require her to fly back and forth so her role in the Ted's story will diminish. She might confront Barney before she leaves and force him to choose. If he chooses Nora perhaps Robin doesn't come home to NY and that's why she isn't in the teaser scenes at Barney's wedding.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Didn't this already pretty much mostly happen when she went to Japan? I doubt they would go to that well twice.

Robin was friends with Nora before Nora met Barney, right? So it's possible that if Nora was the bride, Robin could have been in the bride's dressing room with Nora during those scenes

20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Didn't they say by the end of next season? Or am I misremembering. I don't care if they ever meet the mother. That is not why I watch the show. They could just change the name and I would be just as happy.