How I Met Your Mother 9/19/11 *spoilers for both episodes*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Those were probably the two worst episodes in the history of the series; it's like the writers' IQs dropped 75 points in three months. From the totally anti-climactic ruining of Punchy's wedding, Barney's sudden desire to change (then not, then back again, then not, then back again), and the Ross/Rachel-ification of Barney and Robin, to the ridiculous Marshall video subplot in the second episode, nothing clicked. At all. The pacing was uncharacteristically frenetic, the leads had become bigger asshats than I think we've ever seen before, and the whole thing devolved into a mishmash of subplots with no meaningful transitions.

The one high point was Victoria's return. I'm rewatching the series now and just finished with her arc in S1, and I always thought they should have explored that relationship more. It's virtually impossible for her to be the mother, I know, but I've also never been the die-hard fan that believes the series needs to always be moving towards something. Like Alan Sepinwall mentioned in his review, I'm a fan of Ted's relationships even when they have no future, but the producers need to stop taunting the audience.

And I have to mention this, because it really bugged me. Marshall was staring at what looked very much like a YouTube screen as he was watching those videos. And he's a lawyer. Submit takedown notices and get them removed. Boom. Done. I hate that type of artificial conflict, and this show has never dealt with technology particularly well, but this was ridiculous. Martin Short's arc has some potential, though.

2. Kylep

Kylep Doomed! (DOOMED!)

Feb 13, 2003
    Des Moines, IA
    I was thinking the same thing, You-tube or not, lawyer the crap out of them. The only problem is he needed it down right away, even a one day delay would have cost him (so he would think)

3. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    Not to mention robin's short hair sucks.

:)

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    This show has been going downhill VERY fast for me. I don't laugh at all anymore. Same ole Same ole.

5. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    There were a few ok moments (Teds autotune remix for one) but yeah sad return. Maybe that is why they had two episodes the first night to get through two of the weaker (hopefully) episodes.

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    That's one of my favorite Kinks songs...

7. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    What was whispered when the bride faked taking a shot?

8. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    They had toasted to the Browns, and Marshall whispered, "...in AFC regular season games, but if it's in the Super Bowl, go Vikings." Or something to that effect. :)

9. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Victoria. UGH.

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So how exactly did Punchy's wedding factor into meeting the mother?
    Because Older Ted said that it did in the last couple of episodes and yet, I saw nothing that would lead to that?

11. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Ted never said which wedding he would meet the mother at. It is assumed that Barney's wedding is when and where he'll met the mother.

12. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Both videos were taken in public places. If it were that easy to have embarrassing things you did in public taken off of Youtube, there'd be a lot less viral videos to forward to your friends.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    IIRC, it wasn't that he was supposed to meet the mother at Punch's wedding but it was an important part of getting to meet the mother.

I can't see how it was important.

14. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    The first episode was terrible and I slept through the second one. Did we find out who Barney is marrying or are they going to drag that out for the entire season? I don't think I'll be able to watch anymore if they do. I'm tired of all the fake-outs.

15. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    This will only be saved by the full Schmosby Remix

16. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I bet they drag it out for most if not all of the season.

17. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm guessing as well. They'll want us to think "Is it Robin or Nora????" when in reality I don't give a crap. Either way it ruins the character just as it did when he was in a relationship with Robin. So they can never get to that point and I'll be okay.

Ted was in full D-bag mode once again. His character used to be likeable the first couple of seasons. Now I just want to punch him in the throat.

And yes, Robin's short hair is not good.

18. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    This show has been going downhill for several seasons. I know I have mentioned before how much I loved season one's great romantic comedy vibe and have lamented how in the last few years the show has become a standard sitcom with goofy characters and ridiculous plots.

That being said I did not think these two episodes were any better or worse than most of the last few seasons. I enjoyed them for what they were.

19. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Robin's short hair is horrible, I hope she grows it back out.

Hubby thinks Barney is marrying a dude. :)

20. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    The 'Don't Judge Me!' was the best part, but it didn't even make the show I don't think!