How I Met Your Mother 10-02-06

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Lee L, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 25
    Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC

Advertisements

Intersting way to tell it, breaking things into 3 sub stories.

I liked the 2 nods to the audience, the first one being Robin talking about how we all love Barney, in small doses. Hopefully this means they will keep things like they are (IMHO, a perfect amount of a great character) and not run it into the Barney show.

Not sure why I thought it was so funny, but when Ted said that when he told his kids about how he met their mother he was going to tell them every single detail, I just busted out laughing.

Of course, Barney with his fake suck up was classic.

Like someone mentioned last week, it looks like the groundwork is being laid for an eventual reuninting of Lilly and Marshall, but sounds like there will be some time yet.

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 25
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I fell out when Ted was telling his parents that when his kids ask how they met, he would go into great detail.

On a side note, for some reason the HD audio did not carry the laugh track on my system. I noticed there were silent pauses, and thought it was odd, so I turned over to the non-HD version, and there were laughs all over the place.

The only laughs I heard were from the crew. That was bizarre! But I liked it.

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 25
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    pretty weak episode. not enough barney.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 25
    Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    IMHO , of course they're getting back together.

I can't believe your dad rack jacked me!

woot.

another great episode.

So how's grandma, she hasn't returned my last couple calls!

Why don't you want me to have your grandchildren? .... Do you want to have my grandchildren....... Well no, but that's not the point!

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5 of 25
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

Great comic timing at the end when the mom went to go get juice.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6 of 25
    vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Not as good as last week but a very good episode. As long as barney is around there are laughs to be had. The whole suck up routine was pretty damn funny. Barney does seem to get the most out of his cell phones camera feature. The lilly to marshal line of zip up and marshal zipping up the bottom of his pants got a chuckle out of me. I am still waiting for something to happen to break up ted and robbin. I just can't see them lasting that long as a couple since she is not the mother.

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 25
    mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    'My Dad was your wingman!'

And I thought, he was doing a better job of it than Ted ever did. :D

Good episode. Lily and Marshall will probably be back together in 3 or 4 episodes barring any major complications. They might protract it to the season finale but I hope not.

Very ominous when Ted's parents were talking about their relationship. Funny that Robin brushed it aside in favor that they liked her but still the joke has some truth.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 25
    BigT4187

BigT4187 WDW Nut

Jul 24, 2006
    GSP Exit 17
    meh ...

I didn't care for this episode all that much.

I think that AH's new look is growing on me. She was smoking last night.

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 25
    sschwart

sschwart It sucks to be me

Apr 4, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    I just about lost it when Ted's dad told Ted how he met his mother.

..."I think it was an Irish Bar..."

Cute episode. Not the best, but still very good.

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    They're laying the groundwork for Ted and Robin's eventual breakup. Mom's speech about how she and Dad didn't have much in common but he pursued so ardently that she gave in... yeah, where have we seen that before?

Ted's promise to tell his kids every little detail -- hilarious!

Alyson Hannigan in that red satin dress -- very nice. Robin in the peasant blouse and jeans -- not as nice.

11. BigT4187

BigT4187 WDW Nut

Jul 24, 2006
    GSP Exit 17
    That's all I am trying to say. :)

12. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    I also felt this episode was rather blah -- although Ted's comment about how he'll be telling his kids all of the details of how he met their mother was very funny.

Overall, a pretty forgettable episode.

Michael Gross still has great comic timing though -- he's a perfect 'sitcom guy'.

13. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    You and who else? :cool:

We all want MORE Barney. :)

The Barney story line was by far the most entertaining of the three.

I did like the comments about Ted telling his kids everything. I was thinking a bit more about this, and how nit-picky some people are about that whole part of the show. The writers have known from the beginning what all the relationships are so it is VERY likely that all of it will make pefect sense when revealed. We, on the other hand, have a very limited amount of information and make all kinds of judgements and inferences based on that to try and discredit the relationships used in the re-telling segments. The problem is we don't have enough information. I just would be shocked if it all did not make pretty perfect sense if and when it is all unveiled.

14. BigT4187

BigT4187 WDW Nut

Jul 24, 2006
    GSP Exit 17
    I love Barney as much as anyone, but he should be on the show in small doses. If it were the Barney show it wouldn't be as entertaining.

15. vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    I don't know why the hate for the episode. Ted's dad being a kick ass wing man was pure greatness. I hope ted's dad is around more this year him and barney suiting up was just great.

16. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I, for one, thought this ep was great. Got plenty of chuckles out of me. My favorite parts:

- Lily in the red dress. Smokin' hot. Her new hairstyle is really growing on me.

- Marshall's calf-seduction scene. Hi-larious.

- Marshall getting up to leave the table after Lily was brandishing her boobies, realizing his tentpole was in the way, meekly saying "Never mind" and sitting back down.

- Barney the suck-up

- "My dad was your wingman?"

- Barney's line to Robin comparing best friends to girlfriends (wish I could remember exactly how it went, and don't want to poorly paraphrase it), capped off by him trying to get a high-five from Robin.

- Ted's line about how he'll tell his kids everything about how he met their mother. (I giggled at that one).

- Grandma not returning Ted's calls.

17. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    This was my least favorite part of the episode.

But then again, I'm not a girl.

18. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Or very secure in your masculinity/heterosexuality.

;)

19. Droobiemus

Droobiemus PSWii60

Sep 30, 2004
    Might as...
    "We'll be out in a minute!"
    "Maybe less!"

"Marshall, your zipper!"

"You clumsy floozy! I'm sorry, I got mad, I don't know why I said that... you're not clumsy... stay away from my dad!"

This show gets better every week. :)

I liked how they paralleled Robin and Ted's mom in the end. That right there is the prime reason that Robin isn't going to be with Ted in the long run.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I liked this one a lot. Barney was great, as always: "oh Barney, that's my favorite song!" "I know...!" "I just love salmon croquettes" "I know...!"

"Your dad rack jacked me!"... I laughed hard at that. But then I thought, damn, we are pigs :p