How I know Diners, Drive In's and Dives is BS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Big Deficit, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 #1 of 36
    Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003

Advertisements

The latest episode came to the Pit Stop which is about a mile from my home. While the place isn't awful, it's nothing great either. There's a major difference in both quantity and quality when comparing what they served on the show and what you'll receive when visiting the establishment. Love how everything comes on a nice triangular plate in the show, but wrapped in paper and placed on a paper plate or in a paper basket when you visit. Since the place is kind of uncomfortable to eat in (90%+ of their business is takeout) and never busy, I'm betting that all the diners you see in the place are friends and relatives of the owners. Not only isn't it the best D,D&D type place in town, it's not the best place in 100', there's a Gyro place next door that is better (though far from the best Gyro I've ever had).

2. Feb 1, 2011 #2 of 36
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    This episode also featured the Anchor Bar, in Superior, Wisconsin (way up north). I have been eating and drinking there for 20+ years, and it _is_ everything it is cracked up to be. The place is awesome, and a total dive bar.

You can get a 1/3# cheeseburger (made with fresh beef ground for them daily at Superior Meats), fries cut to order (I don't mean just cooked to order, but actually cut after you order), and a 34oz mug of Grainbelt for ~$7. Whenever I fly home to visit the family, we stop there on the way home from the airport or on the way to the airport.

It is near the docks (Duluth/Superior is the world's largest freshwater port) in the shadiest part of town, and the walls are decorated with things sailors have bartered over the years when they didn't have money to buy food or beer.

3. Feb 1, 2011 #3 of 36
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I frequent several of the Chicago restaurants they've featured over the years, and every one is as fantastic as it looks. One of them, The Depot American Diner, was going through some tough times just before DD&D's arrival, and a local foodie forum really stepped up for them to get the word out and fill the tables for the taping.

I'm sure the experiences of some will vary, but at least in Chicago's case they've picked the right restaurants to feature and have really hit on a great segment of the city's culinary scene.

4. Feb 1, 2011 #4 of 36
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Likewise, the places he's been to in Boise are all great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them (I've been to three) to family and friends. Bar Gernika (Basque pub), West Side Drive-In and Pizzalchik.

5. Feb 1, 2011 #5 of 36
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...

Advertisements

Chicago is our favorite place. We've hit a number of places from Food Network shows (Kuma's Korner, Al's #1 Italian Beef, Gino's East).

Would you mind throwing out some suggestions? We'd love to try some new places in the Spring. :)

6. Feb 1, 2011 #6 of 36
    ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    We left Chicago about 6 years ago, but this is what I still crave:

- Uncle Julio's Hacienda (North & Clyborn): best beef fajitas, chips & salsa EVAR
    - Lou Malnati's (several locations): Pizza
    - Iberico (LaSalle & Chicago): Tapas (Cafe Ba Ba Reeba, on Halsted, has a nice outdoor area, but I like the food at Iberico better)
    - Duke of Perth (Clark, N of Diversey): Scottish pub food, great Scotch bar

7. Feb 1, 2011 #7 of 36
    Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    I've been to half a dozen DD&D places, all have lived up to the hype.

8. Feb 1, 2011 #8 of 36
    crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I live abut two miles from All American.

I've always thought DD&D should go there. Although it would just get more crowded, which we don't need. :D

I've been to the Pit Stop and thought it was good, but not worth the trip for me. Especially when All American is so close. :up:

9. Feb 1, 2011 #9 of 36
    kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    At last count, I've been to about a third of the places that DDD has been (hey, I get around).

Some are worth the hype. Some aren't. Some are *sometimes* (like when a DDD crew shows up) but not on others. I'd say he hits a lot more than he misses.

I won't criticize too much. Heck, I know that a lot of people don't like some of the places that I do, either. You can't please all the people all the time. One person's feast is another's meh.

10. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Indeed, I love Anchor Bar in Superior. Too bad I don't get out that way much any more.

Other places that I particularly like that were on DDD include:

1. Al's Breakfast in Minneapolis. My favorite breakfast place on the planet.
    2. Psycho Suzie's Motor Lounge, Minneapolis
    3. Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, NH. Considering that some of the night staff know me by name...
    4. Joe's Cable Car, San Francisco. Better burgers to be had, but it is an enjoyable spot with a very good burger.
    5. Matt's Big Breakfast, Phoenix. Another one of my top 10 breakfast joints.
    6. Joe's Farm Grill, Gilbert, AZ. Really good burgers, served up in a farm.

11. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've also been to a few of the places featured and they were all good.

The Shed - Ocean Springs, MS

I absolutely love this place, and my nephew used to work there years ago after it first opened. Now it's famous, helped by the DDD appearance, and has several other locations.

But anyplace that is happy to be called a "dive" isn't going to appeal to everyone. I'm sure a lot of places are hit and miss.

12. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    I saw one where he went to a taco truck in San Jose. I looked it up and stopped there on a drive down south (about 45 minutes) and man was it good-one of the best burritos I've ever had!

13. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    The two places in CLT that I know of this show has featured are both great, I would recomend them for sure.

Maybe your place is a dud.

14. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    When are you goin in the Spring?

15. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    I've only been to two places featured on DD&D. Both were excellent.

Metro Diner in Jacksonville, FL - The best breakfast I've ever had. Including home cooked meals. I barely finished my plate (which is rare for me). The waffles on the kids menu would have been enough for an adult.

Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint in Nashville, TN - Very good meal. The ribs were great!

16. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Have you been to Smoque?

17. zuko3984

zuko3984 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2002
    I also live close to All American and really don't like it at all. I know it's always crowded but i just don't get what people see in it. I guess it just shows that what is one persons idea of great food is anothers idea of overrated not so great food.

18. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Whenever I'm traveling, I go to the DD&D website and look to see if the town has any places on his list. We found great places in Austin (Eastside Cafe) and New Orleans (Joey K's) that way.

19. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have indeed, many times. The brisket, peach cobbler, and mac and cheese are all amazing. :)

20. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    Here's a great site for all the food network shows. It scrapes the websites of the shows, and arranges them in order of your location.
    http://www.famousfood.us/