1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I fixed bad drive in Premiere, something interesting.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tommage1, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Oct 1, 2017 #1 of 12
    tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Bought a Premiere used from someone and it had a bad drive. Tried copying the drive but it was too far gone. I had a backup drive from another Premiere sitting around. It had no shows on it but I had not cleared and deleted everything so settings still there. I put in in and guess what? It worked. And I did NOT get any errors due to installing a drive from another Premiere.......... I had my Amazon and Hulu accounts on the backup drive, they were still there after putting the drive in the new Premiere, did not have to enter account/passwords again. Maybe did not get the motherboard/drive relationship error since there were no recordings? Who knows, all I know is it worked, did not have to clear and delete everything or do any kickstarts.

2. Oct 1, 2017 #2 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You will have to run "Clear & Delete Everything" any way or you will find out it will not record. Another indication is under System Information (Located under Help on v20.7.2), the Tivo Service Number is missing, all zeroes, and/or the number does not match the number on the label on the back.

The hard drive needs to be "married" to the main board.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Oct 1, 2017 #3 of 12
    tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Hmm, I haven't tried recording yet. But I checked the TSN, it matches. When I put in the drive from the other Premiere I left the room for quite awhile, I really didn't expect it to work, had tried other things and thought it might be a bad board or whatever. When I came back I was surprised (and very happy) to see it had booted up. I expected to see some sort of hardware error message but I did not. All I can think is it did something itself when booting up, I was gone long enough where it might have, maybe it green screened. But even if so, why would my Amazon and Hulu accounts still be on there, that is confusing. I will try to record and see what happens.

4. Oct 1, 2017 #4 of 12
    tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Oh, actually I THOUGHT there were recordings on the drive from the original Premiere but there were none after it booted in the second Premiere. Not absolutely sure. So maybe it did do something itself which wiped the recordings and "fixed" the marriage problem. Nothing in my mind explains the Amazon/Hulu thing though, no way a drive from another Premiere put into this Premiere should have account/password information on it and be working.

5. Oct 2, 2017 #5 of 12
    tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Well it does record. If memory serves me right the first time it booted with the drive from the other Premiere it showed information from the other Premiere, box name/TSN etc. I ran guided setup, it connected to Tivo, updated everything, the former owners name for the box, correct TSN etc. At one point there was no media access key, after everything I did it finally showed a key, former owner's of course, I have not transferred it yet.

6. Oct 2, 2017 #6 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Looks like its good to go, except to get it to your account and if you want transfer of shows, it can be enabled under DVR Preferences of your tivo.com account.

7. Oct 2, 2017 #7 of 12
    tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Yep. I guess though people should make sure they clear and delete everything before selling a box AND maybe deactivate the box on their Amazon/Hulu/Netflix etc accounts to be safe, clear and delete may not do it.

8. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Active Member

May 8, 2006
    Good call!

9. tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It is weird though. Final result on swapping in the drive from the other Premiere. I did NOT clear and delete everything. Season passes and other settings are still there, my season passes and settings from the swapped in drive (swapped in drive was from a Premiere in my name, the one in question was a recent purchase from someone else, not even on my account). TSN is correct though it was incorrect until I connected to Tivo service. No hardware errors. Amazon and Hulu accounts still there, did not have to re-enter any info. The name of the box did switch to what the person I bought from had named it after connecting. Everything is working fine, records, updates etc etc. The model of the Premieres were the same and it was an original drive though that should not matter. How this can be I don't know, I've swapped drives between other Tivos, always got hardware error and had to clear and delete, this is the first time it didn't happen. Would be an interesting project to try it again sometime. The only thing I don't know for sure is if I had any recordings on the swapped in drive that got wiped when it first booted (I was not in the room, did not see what happened). Thought maybe it green screened and corrected itself but that would have taken hours, I was not gone that long.

10. tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It is weird though. Final result on swapping in the drive from the other Premiere. I did NOT clear and delete everything. Season passes and other settings are still there, my season passes and settings from the swapped in drive (swapped in drive was from a Premiere in my name, the one in question was a recent purchase from someone else, not even on my account). TSN is correct though it was incorrect until I connected to Tivo service. No hardware errors. Amazon and Hulu accounts still there, did not have to re-enter any info. The name of the box did switch to what the person I bought from had named it after connecting. Everything is working fine, records, updates etc etc. The model of the Premieres were the same and it was an original drive though that should not matter. How this can be I don't know, I've swapped drives between other Tivos, always got hardware error and had to clear and delete, this is the first time it didn't happen. Would be an interesting project to try it again sometime. The only thing I don't know for sure is if I had any recordings on the swapped in drive that got wiped when it first booted (I was not in the room, did not see what happened). Thought maybe it green screened and corrected itself but that would have taken hours, I was not gone that long.

11. tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008

12. tommage1

tommage1 Member

Nov 5, 2008