How good is the hdtv tuners in tivo hd?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tootal2, Jul 29, 2007.

1. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005

Advertisements

Does tivo hd use the 5th or 6th generation hdtv chipset? How good does the hdtv tuner work?

thanks

2. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    It's digital. How good does it need to be?

Shouldn't be any difference in picture quality from one tuner to another.
    Maybe sensitivity and error rate though.
    Or is there a difference in what they are capable of tuning in to?

There is a FAQ or thread around here somewhere that details the chips used in the S3 and new TiVo HD and even has pics of the mainboard and components.

3. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Chip
    generation is important if your location is prone to multi-path issues...

4. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I have a 5th gen hdtv turner and i get weak single once in a while. The 6th gen chips work 30% better then the 5th gen chips. I hope tivo hd has 5th or 6th gen chips.

5. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004

Advertisements

I don't get great OTA signal strength (high 60s on ABC, low 80s on NBC/FOX) but I would say that the tuner keeps a good lock on the stations with only occassional multi-path artifacts, normally just when the helicopters fly by. My TV's tuner wasn't nearly as good.

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The tuners are supposed to be better than the ones in the S3 and those work pretty well.
    The only issue I've seen on my S3 is signal leaking between the antenna and OTA inputs which causing digital OTA signal quaility to affect tuning of digital cable channels, but turning down the gain on my OTA antenna fixed that. I don't know if this was corrected with the TiVo HD or not.