How does Tivo work with Verizon Fios?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by truman861, Mar 27, 2014.

1. truman861

truman861 New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Tampa FL

Advertisements

Hey guys, checking for any new info about Fios as its been 4 years since the most recent thread that popped up.

I am looking to give BH Tampabay the finger and move to Fios but need to know if its worth it.

Previous posts said you have to have a tuner in every room, I have a 6 tuner roamio and two minis so if I need a stb connected to the roamio, then that defeats the whole purpose. I know they use M cards as well but if i cant tune more than one channel at one time then i'll stay where i am.

Do they use TA's or do they not do SDV ?

Let me know - thanks

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    They use m cards just like you have and don't use SDV. No need for a cable box or TA or anything hooked up except your Cablecard into the Roamio, just like you have now with BH. (I'm sure there's more to it than that, I've never had fios, but this is what I've learned by osmosis of reading here)

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't know what you've been reading, but that was never the situation with Fios. From a TiVo's perspective, it works like any other QAM cable TV system.

TiVo Series 3 and later are not even capable of recording from an STB.

They do not do SDV.

I've been using TiVos with Fios since 2007, BTW.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You would probably be much happier with FIOS. In general, TiVo seems to work best on FIOS. The Roamio/Minis will work exactly the same with FIOS as they do with your cable company, and not having to deal with a tuning adapter is a big advantage in my book. If I had the option of FIOS in my area, I'd drop Time Warner so fast their heads would spin. Even though I often dislike some things Verizon does, the fact that they took the trouble to do things right and go FTTH should be commended.

5. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County

Advertisements

Maybe you didn't find many posts because there aren't many complaints? I don't know what the "tuner in every room" means. I switched from TWC years ago and haven't had any regrets. TiVo and FiOS go together like peanut butter and jelly. Roamio is an even better match.

The only recent issues I've seen with the Roamio and FiOS were with pairing for HBO/Cinemax. TiVo has updated the software to correct the problem, and if you have trouble just remember the magic words "manually validate."

Oh, and you won't be able to access FiOS VOD through TiVo.

*Edit*
    I just skimmed through your other post You should run, not walk, to FiOS.

FiOS only copy protects HBO and Cinemax channels, so you can copy all other programming using kmttg or TiVo Desktop.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Exactly. The reason FIOS isn't mentioned much is because it just works as described.

7. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    This means you cannot get any stations without having some form of decoding device (re: tuner) attached to every signal. Before the cable companies started to switch to all digital, you usually could plug the coax directly into a TV and get a reasonable number of stations. Not so with FiOS. You needed something (a TiVO with cablecards, a FiOS STB, etc.) to get reception on any TV.

8. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA
    I moved to a Comcast only are and miss my FIOS everyday. I had it with Series 3 and would have loved it with my new Roamio. For me the biggest thing was video quality, no recompression on OTA signals! I can see how crappy the major networks are now. The only downside to FIOS is lack of OnDemand, but not sure if you had that anyway. Once the install is done you will never look back.

9. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Do they get better feeds of the OTA channels? The OTA channels around here look like crap on their own because of all the subchannels...

10. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA
    I don't think so but good question. I wonder if what I am seeing now is bit-starved from the source or squished by Comcast.

11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yeah, I think Comcast is re-modulating the existing OTA channels bit for bit, giving each 6mhz ATSC-8VSB channel half of a 6mhz ATSC-QAM channel, taking all the subchannels with them. I wish they would get a high-bitrate fiber feed a tri-mux the HDs. As much as I hate on Comcast's tri-muxing, it would look 100x better than the crap we have now.

I had heard that DirecTV, because they use MPEG-4 was getting a direct fiber feed (probably very high bitrate MPEG-2 or MPEG-4) and doing their own MPEG-4 compression, so that they look better than the OTA feeds. I wonder if Verizon is doing the same thing, as they could take something like a 25mbps MPEG-4 feed, and compress it down to the "standard" 19mpbs MPEG-2 stream, and it would look amazing. If the local HD's looked good, unless you were in some market that's an anomaly and doesn't have way too many subhchannels mushed in, sucking bandwidth away from the main feed, they had to be doing something like this to get a good feed on FIOS.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, you're sort of overstating it.

You needed a tuner before too.. the *TV* was the tuner.

The TV *could* still be the tuner. It's clear-QAM. I know Comcast can/is (everywhere?) now encrypting even the "basic" channels, but I don't know if other cable companies are.

(BTW, I _still_ miss 'just plug it in'. I also think analog artifacts are less annoying than digital artifacts, but admittedly, the average picture even on SD stations is WAY better than the average picture on analog stations.. But when they went bad, the analog was less annoying/still watchable... and analog glitches wouldn't prevent you from downloading a show to a computer, like digital glitches though -- though that's a Tivo problem.)

13. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Good old Time Warner still sends through the local HD broadcast channels in the clear, so the QAM tuner has some use. They even still send through about 60 analog channels too, so the old analog tuners are still useful. We still have 1 TV in the house with the coax going straight into the TV that gets the analog and clearQAM channels....at least until Comcast comes in and does away with it and I have to buy another Mini for that TV. When that happens, troubleshooting will become more difficult, because right now whenever I'm having reception problems on my other TVs hooked up to TiVos, I can just go check that TV to see if it is having the same issues, and if it does I instantly know it's a Time Warner problem and not a TiVo problem.

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Comcast still has one analog channel (color bars) for troubleshooting and the like.

Analog should have been gone years ago. It's a complete waste of bandwidth. We'd still have less than 20 HD channels here (basically the networks, HBO, and ESPN) if it weren't for analog reclamation. Backasswards cable companies that are still running analog need to get their act together and move to all-digital.

15. cherrytree

cherrytree New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    If you buy a Roamio Plus or Pro, which natively support MoCA, there's something magical about Fios needing only coax to connect to the Tivo box.

16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I highly recommend FIOS. The TV quality is unsurpassed and their internet is the fastest available. If you also include a land line phone you'll get a discount on the overall package. If you also have Verizon wireless you can get everything included on a single monthly bill. I've had FIOS for over six years now and absolutely love it. I can't recall if I've ever experienced a TV outage for any reason in all that time unless we had a power outage. Comcast and DirecTV used to go out on a regular basis if the weather was bad.

17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Ok, let's not get ridiculous here. There is nothing magic about the Verizon FIOS routers have MoCA WAN and MoCA LAN built in.

FIOS is definitely the best service out there, if you have Verizon as your telco, if your area is wired for FIOS, and if your house/living unit can get it. I will say that when/if I move to a FIOS area, FIOS will be on my short list of hard requirements for buying a condo or house.

18. cherrytree

cherrytree New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Having switched from Comcast three months ago, I'm generally happy with Fios. My biggest complaint is Verizon's high $5/month CableCard fee. Comcast did not charge for its CC.

On the other hand, Comcast charged me $7/month for its EMTA. Verizon doesn't charge for its ONT or router. So my total equipment charges with Verizon are still lower than with Comcast.

19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    For new customers, Verizon is now charging for the router...

Comcast charges $7/mo for CableCards after the first one.

20. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not in our Comcast franchise. Cable cards are $1.00 after the first (just reduced from $1.15).

[​IMG]

Scott

Attached Files: