How does the PPV movie get paid for if my receiver isn't connected to a phone line?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Spartan Don, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Spartan Don

Spartan Don New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    I ordered an er, um, movie the other night successfully and the phone line was disconnected. It still is. Did my smart card have a credit on it or something?

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Nope. At some point if your box decides can't dial in it will warn you, and then eventually cut off your satellite reception.

3. Spartan Don

Spartan Don New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Whoops, actually I did that on my DirecTV standard receiver (no Tivo on that one). I realize now I'm in the wrong forum but if anyone knows the answer please let me know.

4. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    He *did* answer. The PPV purchase is stored on your access card until transmitted to the mothership. There's a finite number of PPV purchases it'll store before cutting you off.

If you unsubscribe the receiver, the card will STILL have the PPV. If you sell it on eBay then the purchaser will have problems activating because of the balance due.

5. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    BTW, I've got a few extra cards to sell....they're all clean, I.E. no PPV on them....I promise..wink, wink.

For those of you who think I might be trying to sell something, I am not...I'm being sarcastic.

6. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Not really.

I have a satellite receiver upstairs connected to a TV that hasn't been plugged in to a phone line for years. It's never cut off the satellite reception. I've had friends mention that their box won't allow them to order PPV since it hasn't called the mothership for a long, long time, but I've never heard of anyones box cutting off satellite reception because the phone isn't connected.