How does one do multiple quotes on one reply

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lessd, Jul 23, 2014.

1. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

I would appreciate the answer to my question How does one do multiple quotes on one reply

Thanks

Les

2. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    Use this button

[​IMG]

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I cut and paste - I opened your message in 2 browsers windows and hit the Quote button on each then cut and paste one into the other.

4. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    This. Just click that icon for all the posts you want to quote, and then click the regular "Quote" button and they'll all be there for you.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

:up::up: Works great! I never new that was what that icon was for or how it worked. Thanks!

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Actually you may prefer to click the "Post Reply", rather than "Quote" button, particularly if the two (or more) posts you want to quote do not include the last post in the thread. At least I've always used the "Post Reply" button and it does exactly what is desired.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick answer, I guess others also were not aware of how this can be done.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm a moderator and I never knew that was there either. I always cut and paste like you describe. :eek:

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Where is that icon? I've never seen it. ? To multiquote, I click on the "multiquote" button on all the posts, and when I get to the last I just click the "quote" button, and type my reply like I am typing right now.

Are people who see the button typing on phones? Or tablets? I'm using a real computer. :p

[edit] Here is a screen cap from before I added this to my post. I click mulltiquote. I don't see the described icon.

[​IMG]

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The TC Purple and Green themes don't have the graphic buttons, they're only on the default orange theme.

11. pteronaut

pteronaut Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    You don't see the icon, because you're not using the forum's default skin. ;)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I just break up the quoted block manually... I type "quote" a lot. :eek:

13. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    I still don't understand how this work, do you highlight what you want to quote, paste it? :confused: Can someone give a step by step instruction on how to use this button, I could never get it to work.

14. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    There is the forum test section to practice posts

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Take what ever you want quoted and copy to your PC win clipboard (highlight text, then right click and select "copy". That's copies it to the clipboard.

Past that text to the reply with the [q uote] at the start and [/q uote] at the end.
    Preview the message and it should be "quoted"

To quote the entire prior user's msg, there should be QUOTE button that creates the reply and put's the quoting format in for you. With this forum's an many other's, the bracket's designate special formatting commands such as the "Spoiler" which hides the msg text unless the reader clicks on it to show

NOW YOU CAN SEE THIS ONLY IF YOU CLICKED SHOW!!

Now what I never can get work is the YouTube format thing....

15. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA

You put the full link in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsZqHu-ECE

Only the string after the v= goes in between the YT tags.

16. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    The quote button also labels the quote with the poster's name, and a link back to the original post.

Just click the multiquote button for each post you want to quote, then click the quote button, and edit out everything you don't want to quote.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, some other forum I've been on a few times (I don't remember which one at the moment), actually names the other button as "multiquote" to make it much more obvious what it does.

18. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Ok, that kinda makes sense, other forums I'm on just use the and include the full url or short url.

Thanks, now I will include the Tivo startup in my signature line..... :D

19. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Boy that would get on everyone's nerve!! HeHe....

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    1. For each post that you want to quote, press the [​IMG] button (or the "Multiquote" button, if you are in a skin other than the default orange skin).

2. Once you have pressed that button for every post you want quoted in your post, press the [​IMG] button.

3. You will be brought to a new post form, with the selected quotes already included for you.

No need for highlighting, copying, or pasting anything.