How does DirecTV get my ESPN Gameplan PPV info?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by texasdiver, Oct 5, 2006.

1. texasdiver

texasdiver New Member

Jul 10, 2004
    China...

Advertisements

Just curious. My HD Tivo hasn't been plugged into a phone line for over a year. I've been ordering ESPN Gameplan PPV College Football games from time to time using the Tivo remote and every month they show up on my bill exactly as ordered. I was under the impression that DirecTV gets the PPV info from the daily call (when you order with the remote) but they're getting it some other way from my machine obviously.

I have another standard Tivo in another room that was connected to the phone line. Is it possible that I was picking it up through that Tivo machine? It's in the kids playroom and I never use it to watch football or anything else. Seems weird that it could happen that way. When I use the HD Tivo remote it never affects anything else on the other Tivo machine.

2. tiggermanh

tiggermanh to be like Earl

Dec 14, 2004
    Dayton Ohio
    The HD tivo is only a one way communication device via satelite. Meaning it can only receive data, not send anything.

The only way for the Tivo to tell DT that you purchased some PPV is via the phone line.

If you order from the website, it will enable all receivers on your account to receive the PPV at the same time for the single fee. Whereas if you go to unit 1 and purchase, that is $X and then go to unit 2 and purchase, that is another $x.

3. texasdiver

texasdiver New Member

Jul 10, 2004
    China...
    Ahhh stupid me.

I went back and looked and forgot that I had installed a new phone jack into the same multi-jack faceplate where I installed my Coax jacks. I haven't had the Tivo plugged into the other phone jack on the wall because of the new jack I installed.

So all these months I've been looking at that empty phone jack on the wall thinking that my Tivo wasn't hooked to the phone line when it really was.

4. lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
    How did you not notice the lag of nag screens?