How Does Amazon Prime Look On TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ADG, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA

Advertisements

I've never used a streaming service before but am seriously thinking about signing up for Amazon Prime and have a couple of questions please.

1) I know it will work on my two Roamio units, but will it also work on a Premier Elite? Not a big deal, just nice if it does.

2) How does it look (does it load quickly, is it smooth or jumpy, any "glitches" during playback, etc.)? BTW, I use Ethernet connections as opposed to WiFi.

3) I have the Roamio Plus outputting to all "non-tivo" tv's in the house via RF. In other words, all content on that tivo is viewable on my sd tv's (kitchen, bath, etc). I'm guessing there would be no issue viewing Amazon Prime content in this manner, correct?

4) Are there any reasons you can think of NOT to subscribe to Amazon Prime access via TiVo?

Thanks in advance :)

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    It does not work on the Premiere line yet, TiVo has indicated they will deploy Amazon Prime and Vudu to the Premiere line in 2015.
    It works well, load time is a tad longer then I would like, but not terrible. Once you are viewing the video the picture jumps to highest quality very quickly. My only complaint about playback is not preview window during fast forward and rewind.
    There shouldn't be, if you are currently able to view content from your TiVo via this setup, Amazon wouldn't cause you any specific problems.
    It depends on what you are looking for - I have had Amazon Prime for quite a while for the shipping discounts. The streaming is a nice to have, but I wouldn't pay the Prime subscription for the streaming alone.

3. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Great feedback bradleys - thanks very much.

4. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    PQ is excellent for streaming. Smooth with no glitches, assuming the source material is good and not some old SD show from the 70s. Other than keyboard inputs, the app is faster than any other Amazon app I have on any other device. I would rate it the best overall Amazon app on a STB I've seen. YMMV

5. mmartz

mmartz New Member

Dec 17, 2007

Advertisements

Could you eplain how you distribute to the non-tivo TVs?

Do you have an external modulator? What kind of connections do you have on the Roamio, such that HD shows can be sent to SD sets? When I tried this, I wouldn't consistently get a signal on the composite outputs.

6. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    I see shows like Alpha House with John Goodman and Transparent as Prime Instant Video. I have a Base Roamio, but The Amazon website shows these as the (only) TIVO devices that will work? Is that correct?

Manufacturer and Model Year
    TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR (Prime Instant Video not available) 2010
    TiVo TCD748000 Premiere XL DVR (Prime Instant Video not available) 2010
    TiVo TCD658000 HD XL DVR (Prime Instant Video not available) 2008
    TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder (Prime Instant Video not available) 2007
    TiVo TCD540080 Series 2 80-Hour Digital Video Recorder (Prime Instant Video not available) 2006
    TiVo TCD648250B Series3 HD Digital Media Recorder (Prime Instant Video not available) 2006
    TiVo TCD649080 Series2 80-Hour Dual-Tuner Digital Video Recorder (Prime Instant Video not available) 2006
    TiVo TCD540080 Series 2 80-Hour Digital Video Recorder (Prime Instant Video not available) 2004

7. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    No, Roamios with 20.4.5 will stream Amazon Instant. Amazon needs to update their documentation.

8. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    First, thanks everyone - just signed up.

@mmartz: I've been doing this since I got my first Series 3. With the Roamio I output via component cables to a modulator (to RF out) to an a/b switch to an rf splitter to straight runs to each set (through the basement and up through the floors or walls).

9. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Sounds like a total ugly kludge, but since you see whatever is on the TiVo's screen, well, you will see whatever is on the TiVo's screen, whether that's cable or Amazon.

10. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks for the characterization - it works just fine though. All of my "old" (standard) tv's in the house receive the output from our "primary" tivo and the pictures are excellent (or as excellent as they can be going from hd to sd).

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    LOL @ still rocking SD sets.

12. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, actually they are hd sets but because I'm running the signal via rf the result is sd - so I'm calling them "sd sets". They are small (19") sets in the kitchen & 2 baths.

13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I guess SD isn't bad for that use case, although I'd have to say the Mini's work really nicely for that. I have one crammed between my kitchen TV and the wall and one in my room, both service small TVs.

There are zero downsides to Amazon Prime streaming, since it comes for free with regular Amazon Prime. :D

14. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    In my case I have no desire to provide individual content to the 3 sets described above. The whole intent is that when my wife is in the kitchen or we are in the bathroom we can still see what is being shown on the primary tivo in the bedroom without interruption. Also, I prefer not to lose any of the tuners (which, as I understand it, would have to be dedicated to the minis).

15. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003
    no, the tuners are no longer dedicated to the minis. They float. So the tuner is only occupied while the mini is in use- or three hours after the last button-push, unless you go to the home screen when you're done watching it.

16. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    okay thanks. Still, I'd have to run ethernet cables to three rooms and I'd just as soon not go through the hassle. Appreciate the input

17. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003
    not trying to change your mind, just want to point out (for others that may read this thread) that you wouldn't need ethernet- you've got coax to all locations, and your Roamio+ has a built-in MoCa bridge, so all the wiring is already in place.

18. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Not to hijack my own thread, but okay.. :) :)

I'm not sure how that would work - I do have coax coming out of a modulator. Are you saying that if I plug that into a mini it would work? Also, would I be able to watch the same content that is playing on the primary tivo?

19. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003
    you'd remove the modulator and connect a splitter in-line with the coax line going into the Roamio. Then all the devices would be on the same physical "network". Enable the MoCa bridge in the Roamio settings, then all the Minis would have Roamio access, as well as broadband access (assuming the Roamio is connected via ethernet or Wifi).

Not sure if there is a way to "simulcast" so that all the screens show the same content (that would be cool in some instances), but all the minis will have independent access to content stored on the Roamio as well as live tv and all the streaming apps.

20. juliandracos

juliandracos New Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Unless something has changed, you cannot use the Amazon Prime videos on Tivo. You can only use the Amazon Instant Video where you have to pay for each thing you watch. I got Tivo so I could use my Amazon Prime membership videos. Turns out to be a huge waste of money.