How do you set channels on Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fndwl, Dec 29, 2005.

1. fndwl

fndwl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Fairbanks AK
    Hello,
    I have a Series 1 Sony Tivo unit that I am currently using with a 4dtv C-band receiver. Any channel I select (except local channels) outputs to channel 3 so I can view it on tv. Example if I select USA Channel it outputs to channel 3 thru the tivo to my tv.
    I recently purchased a Series 2 Tivo and am trying to do the same thing but it won't let me. Is there some way to do this?

I am using dishnetwork as the programming guide.

please help

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    There is a setting somewhere in there which RF output channel to use... don't have access to my TiVo right now, but it's there. Possibly under the video settings, if you choose to set it up as outputting RF?

3. fndwl

fndwl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Fairbanks AK
    I will look under video settings but if you can find it please let me know. I have been going thru the guided set up trying everything. At one point I had the satallite comming thru channel 3 but when I clicked on any other program channel like usa it gave me the blue screen. With my series 1 I was able to tell it to look at channel 3 instead of the channel it uses for dishnetwork. (this is what I am using for my guide).

4. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    So if I'm understanding you, you have a coaxial cable coming out of the satellite receiver and into your tivo--- and the sat receiver always outputs on channel 3? You can't do what you want with RCA cables, and it sounds like you might be doing that. Make sure you've selected RF as the input source.

On the other hand, if your satellite box has RCA outputs, why not use them? Hmm... I'm confused. Can you detail your setup, as in what cables you're running etc.?

5. fndwl

fndwl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Fairbanks AK
    Thank you for responding. What I have is this: a c-band 4dtv sat receiver that the coax (rf)cable goes into a signal combiner, my antenna also goes into this signal combiner. The cable out of the signal combiner goes into the TIVO (Series 1 sony model). To get this to work so it sees local channels and works with the c band I was able to change the channels for the guide to channel 3. So when I look at the guide and want to record something on usa I just go to the program and click the button. Then I have to set the timer on the satallie receiver to change the satallite to that station at that time.

With the series 2 it is looking for channel 110 (I don't know if this is usa its just the example I am giving) and because its not there I get a blue screen. how can I change it to see channel 3 instead? (Like I did with the series one?)

6. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    OK, I see now. But frankly, I don't know how you got this to work with the S1.

Here's what I would do:

Send video out from the sat box to video in on the tivo using RCA cables and S-Video if possible. Attach the off-air-antenna directly to the RF IN. Rerun guided setup with "satellite and antenna," telling the tivo your satellite input is the RCA video. You'll probably even get better picture quality this way.

....or does your satellite receiver not have RCA outputs?

7. fndwl

fndwl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Fairbanks AK
    I will try that to see if it works. But I would think there would be a way to change the series 2 to look at ch 3 input for the other stations like I did with my series 1???

8. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    I don't think so. And you'll get better picture this way anyway.

9. fndwl

fndwl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Fairbanks AK
    The part that I'm worried about when setting it up is the part that trys to change channels. It won't change with the c band receiver. So I am wondering if this will affect the set up.

10. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    You keep doing what you've been doing. Set a timer on the satellite receiver when you want to record something.

11. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to change the RF output channel on the TiVo.

This sure seems like a complicated way of going about it, but maybe it's your only option?

EDIT: I must be tired, I got it all backwards... better delete it before any harm is done. :D

/Mike

12. fndwl

fndwl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Fairbanks AK
    I am trying to set up the series two like my series one. I use the dishnet for the program guide and no matter what channel I click on it shows what ever is comming in on channel 3.

On the series one I was able to go thru and edit all the channels to look at channel three

13. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Is there some reason you can't set it up with the RCA cables? Please explain why you are insisting on an inferior setup.

You are not going to be able to get it to do what you are saying, and if you set up RCA/S-Video you will get exactly the same behavior and a better picture.

14. Zebra2955

Zebra2955 New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    I hook my 4TDV with the s-videio and rca audio and told my tivo that I have DTV and use one of the SAT chanells and deleted the rest