How do you report Guide Errors?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by km, Jan 14, 2006.

1. km

km Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Atlanta....
    There is a Tivo web link for reporting lineup errors, but I see none for reporting actual Guide info errors. For example

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=279552

documents a persistent error in the Stargate Atlantis listings that breaks SP's.

What is the correct way to report this kind of error to Tivo, who could presumably make an adjustment or get Tribune to make a correction.

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    A problem like that needs to be corrected quite a bit farther up the pipeline than Tivo.

3. km

km Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Atlanta....
    Still, Tivo is the customer to Tribune, and we are the customer to Tivo. There should be an easy way for us to report the problem to Tivo so that they can report it to Tribune.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Could I ask specifically what the persistent error in the Stargate Atlantis listings that breaks SP's is?

5. km

km Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Atlanta....

This is in the quoted thread. The series is apparently showing in Canada at an earlier date, which is what Tribune is listing as the first air date. Tivo sees this and thinks its a rerun.

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    This happens frequently on BBCA too. Be careful if you use FRO on those networks.

7. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I'd just use the lineup problem form, it is the best method.

8. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I'd hazard a guess that TiVo doesn't pay very much for the guide data and that it doesn't have much pull with Tribune media as a result. I'm making this guess based on the fact that many PC hardware vendors offer free guide data suggesting that a flat fee per device is levied against the manufacturer by the guide vendor,a nd it's not a monthly arrangement like the one we have with TiVo.

9. km

km Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Atlanta....

I suspect the same thing. Tivo always brags in their financial statements how high their margin is on their retained monthly customers. Still, if they want to really retain those customers, they should give some service.

When the guide data is bad with a cable dvr, I figure my monthly is paying for the program delivery and hardware rental. When the guide data is bad on a three year old Tivo, I wonder what I am paying for if there is no way to report it.

10. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    From what I've read in season pass alerts forum this should only happen for the 4 episodes that were shown in Canada, so I think the next Friday that shows up in the guide it should be corrected.

11. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    You'll get program delivery without paying for a cable DVR. I prefer to pay lifetime and marvel at how it can be so cheap. (Nearly free once you factor in the resale value.) If you wonder what you're paying for then stop. Either go lifetime or just stop the service. One way or another, you should be able to answer your question.

12. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    The one thing about issues like the Stargate thing is that it breaks the marketed features of the TiVo. Sure it's a small thing and users on this forum will be aware of it, but those that don't visit the forum will just see that it was broken. They've sent out alerts in the past, why not this time?

13. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I've never received an alert for a show I watch and found them slightly annoying. (Although I know they were for very highly rated shows.) That was probably a fine one-time workaround, but as a long-term solution, I'd prefer TiVo manipulating the guide data, or doing nothing at all, to alerting everyone whenever something strange happens.

14. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I kinda liked the alert last year when NBC or was it Fox rescheduled things at the last minute and TiVo sent out the announcement. FWIW though I agree that as a permanent solution something else should be done.