How do you quickly tell if a program is set to record?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by superflysocal, Jun 21, 2011.

1. superflysocal

superflysocal Member

Nov 26, 2009
    I have had a tivo for over 1 year but the most annoying thing about Tivo concerns recording indicator but it may just be me not knowing how to use it properly.

When I am looking at the program guide in grid mode (that's what I prefer), if I hover over a program how do i know for sure if it is going to be recorded or not??

I can see that there is a green icon with the thumbs up, but that only indicates that you have requested that program to record or is part of a season pass. However, if there are 2 other programs set to record at that time and they have higher precedence, then it won't record. So how do you know if that program has the higher precedence and is definitely set to record? You can look at the To Do list but that is cumbersome, I would like to be able to tell from the program guide. I really hope there is a way with the premiere.

I remember on many occasions missing a recording because I thought it was set to record with the green thumb but it did not record because of two other programming.

While I am here, the other annoying thing about Tivo (otherwise I love it), is being able to tell if programs are set to record on the grid without hovering to that program (moving the selector to that program). With cable company DVR's, you can tell from color coding which program on the grid is set to record easily without moving your cursor there.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    A green thumb also appears if you put it there, and has nothing to do with any certainty if something will record. It is used for suggestions, from your message it is not clear if you even have these turned on or not. (You know- you can put up to three thumbs yourself)

If you want something to record- do not count on the thumbs to capture it, especially if you have suggestions off. Either hit the record button or put it in a season pass/wishlist. Sorry, but you did not miss something due to thumbs.

The grid mode will only show was IS recording, not what will or may be recorded in the future.

For viewing what the TiVo plans to record- this is only seen through the To Do list. However, this is also available online, so you could even check what is scheduled to record right now.

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you select a program from the guide and press Select, a menu will pop up asking Record as Planned or Record this Showing, Season Pass and Other Options or something of that nature.

4. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    Aside from the above recommendations, you can also press "2" from TiVo Central to jump to the To Do List.

The UK box has indicators. Hopefully that UI will eventually get ported over someday.

5. superflysocal

superflysocal Member

Nov 26, 2009
    In my situation, what happened was that there was a program i wanted to record in about 15 minutes, so i pulled up the guide. That program had the green thumb and when i selected it, there was no option to record it, only an option to cancel recording and record as planned, so i figured I was good to go. I had to leave to be somewhere, so i didn't check the to do list. The program didn't record because it was lower in priority.

So, yes, if i had checked to do list, i would have figured this out.

But no, if i select the program and see that the there is no option to record, it doesn't automatically mean it will record.

How hard could it be for Tivo to just color code the programs definitely set to record in the grid. All EPG do this.

I love my Tivo but this is by far my biggest gripe, esp since it is so easily fixable with software, but at least now I know "it's not just me not knowing how to operate".

6. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    May I suggest utilizing the link to Request Feature Enhancement? :D
    It helps get the word to those who listen. A volume of reports might catch their attention!

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I definitely agree that an updated guide would help. Could you possibly pass on a request for the suggestion form to be updated?

It seems to contain many of the same features of the Premiere as common requests. I know it was updated at one point to add the Premieres as an option that you are using those, but the common requests haven't changed in over a year.

8. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    I've passed along your comments about the webpage to the User Experience group. Luckily there's an open text field you can use until they update the standard choices.

9. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Thanks I appreciate it. I definitely take advantage of the free field, but I try not to overdue it.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've put in my request for this feature...I've always thought it would make it easier on me as I micro-manage my Tivo.:p

I put "other" for first choice. I hope that refers to the open field suggestion.

11. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    I suspect most people see that list of "standard choices" (which clearly hasn't been updated for a long time), and assume (probably correctly) that no one at Tivo actually cares what's on the list or what people submit for requests.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, they could at least update the list and remove the items that are already implemented.
    Granted there aren't that many. Two or three by my count, although 30 second skip may not count since it isn't a "published" feature.

13. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I would consider the 30 second scan of the Premiere to be close enough. I never thought I would use it but now I hate when I try to use my remaining TiVo HD.

I think it would also be nice if they copied Verizon's Share Your Idea site where people can vote on ideas.
    For reference...
    http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/idb-p/ideas

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since 30-second skip is easy to enable and is persistent, I wouldn't consider it an issue.

15. lkupersmith

lkupersmith Member

Dec 17, 2001
    FL
    Remember ReplayTV? You know, the company that released the very first DVR?

If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago), they had check marks in their guide showing what was set to record. Two for a series recording, one for a one time recording.

Nice feature. I always assumed they had a patent on that function so TiVo couldn't copy it. Not sure who owns their patents now but I think it's DM Holdings.