How do you fix it when they activate your units in another pesons account.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rafarn, Apr 29, 2018.

1. rafarn

rafarn New Member

Apr 29, 2018

Advertisements

This is a problem I have been fighting since the beginning of March When I called in to have my Romio OTC activated they activated in another persons account and that account is a dead account that has not been used for almost a decade but they won't move my units unless I can get the email address and password of that account and they keep calling me by his name even though I keep telling them my name over and over. Well my son set up that account over a decade ago and it has not been used for almost a decade he said and he informed me that the email address he used back then he does not remember but it is invalid for many years and he has no idea what the password was as he used as he used complex changing passwords back then and has no idea what was used anymore. He does not live in the state anymore and told me it was Tivos problem but they say it is a security problem that they can't remove my units and setup my account like I had told them to. What the hell do I do. The units cannot be deactivated or in fact nothing can be done with them as they are. I wanted to get another one and setup in another room but I can't see doing that now as they would be i two different accounts. They have me in a catch 22 with no possible solution. I considered just selling them on eBay and buying new units but that will leave someone else with the same problem. This should not be allowed to happen and it is tivos fault as I called them and gave them my email and infor to set the account in my name but they used my address to activate in my sons account and he has not lived here in a decade in fact he has lived in another state for 12 years. This is turning me off of tivo and they sent me a bunch of ratings to fill out and I flunked them on all of them because the problem is as far from solved as it was when I first tried to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Your Son ought to be able to call TiVo and put the TiVo on 'sold' status so you can can transfer it to your Email.

Or, has he tried to 'recover' the email address so he can reset his TiVo password?

-KP

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I’m pretty sure he can call and say he sold it to you. He just needs the tsn. Hell, you can call and say you’re him.

4. rafarn

rafarn New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    He no longer has the unit as it was one of the first Tivos and was disposed of more than a decade ago. He said that whatever email address he used 20 years ago to setup the account is no longer valid and has no idea after all these years what the password was or email either. There is no way of ever finding out what the tsn was as the unit was thrown away more than a decade ago and he said he would not have a recollection of what they want to access the account anymore either as he never used the account except to setup the one tivo unit almost 2 decades ago he just figured they would close the account after years of unuse. Can't mark it sold as he no longer has the unit or tsn for it and hasn't for over a decade.

5. May 1, 2018 #5 of 10
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

UCLABB was not referring to your son's old Tivo. He was referring to the Tivo that you have that was put on your son's old account.
    Your son should be able to convince tivo that he is the legitimate account holder and that he has transferred ownership of the tivo (even though it's always been yours) so that you can put it on your own account. Or you may be able to call tivo and do it yourself by convincing them that you are your son.

6. May 1, 2018 #6 of 10
    scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I have one question. How could this possibly happen?

7. May 2, 2018 #7 of 10
    rafarn

rafarn New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I don't know why they did it or how but they did.
    Solved worked with messenger online support and someone there did what phone support could not do. It is interesting now my sons old units are in my account as well but as least I can eliminate them.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. May 2, 2018 #8 of 10
    rafarn

rafarn New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    He no longer had the unit or the tsn nor remembered the email used to set it up nor the password and without those phone support won't do anything but I found online support through messener and they were able to do what phone suport would not do so the problem is now solved.

9. May 2, 2018 #9 of 10
    gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    In the past (may have changed since Rovi) if the zip code used for guide data matched the new ("transfer to") account, and it successfully dialed the mothership for either 3 or 7 days in a row, they would initiate a change of ownership / transfer to account without issue. I did this MANY times for Series 1, Series 2 and a few Series 3 units I found at my local Goodwill stores that had lifetime service. (For a while, I sold quite a few on eBay.) You could try telling them you got them at Garage sale or thrift store as an explanation. Of course, the new folks in the overseas call center may not understand what that means...... (sorry, for the rant off) but it is worth a shot.

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Great that the problem was resolved, but you clearly have absolutely no clue what UCLABB or I tried to say.