How do you deal with your TWC tuning adapter going offline all the time?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by warrenn, Oct 11, 2011.

1. warrenn

warrenn Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    Like many of you, I have continual problems with my Time Warner tuning adapter going offline. I've had techs out 4-5 times and each time they blame it on something, "fix it", and reboot the tuning adapter. The channels work for a short while, but eventually they go offline. I suppose what fixed it was just the reboot, not all the cable tweaking they do.

Anyway, I was wondering a couple of things. First, anyone know why the tuning adapter goes offline and doesn't come back? Specifically, what is going on inside the box? Usually cycling the power makes it work--if just for a week or so.

Second, anyone come up with a solution to this? Did a tech finally come out and make the tuning adapter work? What did he do? I was thinking of putting a timer on the power plug for the tuning adapter so that the power cycles every night. Do you think that would work?

2. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
  3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Knowing your location can help get better answers to your questions. I suggest putting it in your profile so it shows on every post you make.

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Sorry, I don't have a solution for your problem, but anyone who can't reliably receive all the scheduled programming in their package should complain to the FCC. They're required to provide those channels to CableCARD customers.

File a complaint here:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

5. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I did that. Never heard from them. I dont know how long it takes for them to get around to complaints but meanwhile, Im shelling out $150 a month for phone and tv that dont work. So I cant call 911, even tho Im paying for the phone and I cant watch TV on anything that isnt TWC equipment.

Good riddance, TWC. I hate Tivo had to go with it but thats life. The Dish DVR seems to be doing just fine (when it works).

6. warrenn

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    I'm in central Texas.

The obvious problem is that the tuning adapter sucks. Cycling the power means something in the box is messed up. It's not like the signal gets stronger because I repower the box.

7. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    What do I do?

I complain to them. Loudly. And frequently. And what does it accomplish? Nothing.

It's not a signal problem. It's nothing that a tech visit will fix. It's a ****** implementation of a ****** technology. SDV is ******. The Tuning Adapters are ******. TiVo's refusal to try to tune again once it doesn't tune the first time is ******. TWC's employees understanding of the technology and existing problems is ******. Consumers understanding of the technology and limitations is ******.

It's all software. It's fixable. But Cisco, TiVo and the cable companies have to work together to fix it. And they've proven by their (lack of) action that they have no desire to make it better than it is. As many problems as there are, it's under their threshold of what an acceptable error rate is.

It's a problem with any carrier that uses the TA's and SDV, not just TWC.

8. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The problem is most people don't file complaints. The FCC said they would monitor the situation to see if things improved and if not they would step in.

People with TAs that are faulty need to file complaints regularly and everytime it fails. It is the only way the FCC will look into and possibly require another solution.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I've had a 2 tuning adapters for 3 months with TWC. I've never had a single issue with them. I have seen a lot of cablecard firmware updates. Perhaps your region is using buggy firmware on your tuning adapters or they just don't know how to fix issues.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Well tell us what region you're in -- the rest of us want to move there! :D

4600+ posts and you still don't have your location in your profile? Tsk, Tsk! :p

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm in the Wisconsin region, and I have very, very few issues with the tuning adapter. The worst problem I have is that it doesn't always tune in a channel on first attempt; the bad part about this is that it misses recordings. This seems to happen the most on SyFy.

Other than that, the thing just hums along. I did have to have them send a "hit" to it about a month or two ago, but that was the first time in a long time.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL! Other than not working reliably, it works pretty well! Many of us have this problem and it should have been fixed by now. My 1954 push button car radio tuned more reliably. It isn't clear where the blame goes for this, although TiVo could fix it in software by just retrying tuning until it succeeds.

Major problems like the OP is having are most likely the fault of the cable cos equipment or setup.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's Charlotte, NC. Here almost all HD channels are on SDV and most of the SD channels are too. Luckily, they do it right here and I don't know of anyone in the area that has any major issues with TAs.

14. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    That doesnt have anything to do with it.

I moved 20 miles and went from never having to touch my tuning adapters to them never working. Same company, same region.

15. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    If all it takes to get the tuning adapter working again is a power cycle of the TA, why not put it on one of those basic plug timers, and have it reboot every night. Sure this masks the problem.

16. JJK1954

JJK1954 Beatle Freak!

Sep 6, 2011
    Bayside, NY
    I am here in NYC, and I have had the tuner since late Aug. So far, so good with both adaptor and cable card. I am crossing my fingers. I know, pretty sad in this day and age of electronics! Maybe you can call Cisco for some advice?

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    There is sophisticated equipment (e.g., QAM edge modulators or something like that) serving each node (or whatever you call a neighborhood group of cable users) that has to be set up and functioning correctly before tuning adapters will work correctly. Even within the same cable system region, this can be screwed up on one node but not on another, I think.

What's puzzling is that the same functions performed by TA's must also be performed by cable co set-top boxes and DVR's. Surely these devices don't have the same incidence of problems as TA's or the cable co would be overwhelmed with service calls. Apparently there's some difference between the TA/TiVo combination and the Cable co boxes that causes a lot more problems for TiVo's.

Good luck calling Cisco. Too bad the cable co people don't "call Cisco". Cisco would talk to them and maybe that would do some good.

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That isn't surprising because you are probably on a different headend. However, areas like where I live apparently work together to make sure all the headends are running the same basic setup so we rarely have SDV issues.

19. warrenn

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    My theory is that the TWC DVRs have a more robust set of code running inside them. If they discover the channels drop out, they do some sort of re-ping or reset. The Tuning Adapters don't have that same function built in. When they go out, they stay out. TWC probably keeps it this way so that frustrated customers switch to a TWC box. Every tech I had come to my house badmouthed Tivo and the cable cards, saying how much trouble they were. Yeah! Trouble for you because your crappy TA doesn't work!

I submitted a complaint with the FCC.

20. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Doubtful. My wife used to be a Tier 3 TWC tech and worked at the head end. I think if that was the case she would know as she still knows the infrastructure better than their current employees.

Whats really funny is she wired our house when she worked at TWC. The install was pristine, with dedicated drops for each outlet. Once TWC started coming in and servicing the house, they have destroyed her install by cutting and rerunning drops, adding and removing splitters, house amps, etc. You name it.